• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nanea Tour

FamilyGolfMan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking to buy Westin
We're taking the Nanea tour tomorrow and I've done quite a bit of research and tried to figure out what I can. Seems like there is quite a bit to learn. I certainly have learned to only buy resale.

I'm wondering how important is it to buy Platinum Plus vs. Gold weeks? We want to be able to go to Maui for at least a week ever year or every other year. But we also would enjoy Scottsdale, Palm Springs and a few of the other resorts. Any suggestions on the best resort to make our home resort? We love the Nanea Pools but I think the other Kaanapali resorts are great too. It's hard to figure out what's our best option.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Given your interest in Scottsdale in addition to Maui you should consider buying a Platinum week at Kierland Villas. It’s a great resort and is mandatory, which means you as a resale buyer would get StarOptions, which you can use them to make an internal trade to Maui. We bought there and love the resort and the ability to trade to Maui, St John, Nassau, Lagunamar in Cancun, and Palm Desert. You can make those reservations at 8 months before check in if they are available. Kierland Villas does cost more upfront than SVV in Florida, but the maintenance fees are less. We chose Kierland because we prefer having that as our home resort, since we live in Las Vegas and can drive there.

One thing to keep in mind is that Vistana was recently purchased by Marriott as part of their acquisition of ILG, which owned Vistana and Hyatt. No body knows what may change, if anything, in the future. Hopefully nothing negative, but perhaps more flexibility if they provide an option to access Marriott properties. There are threads here in TUG that discuss this transaction and conjecture of the potential impact.

Good luck with your search. Others will share their insights as well.

Best regards.

Mike

FamilyGolfMan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking to buy Westin
Given your interest in Scottsdale in addition to Maui you should consider buying a Platinum week at Kierland Villas. It’s a great resort and is mandatory, which means you as a resale buyer would get StarOptions, which you can use them to make an internal trade to Maui. We bought there and love the resort and the ability to trade to Maui, St John, Nassau, Lagunamar in Cancun, and Palm Desert. You can make those reservations at 8 months before check in if they are available. Kierland Villas does cost more upfront than SVV in Florida, but the maintenance fees are less. We chose Kierland because we prefer having that as our home resort, since we live in Las Vegas and can drive there.

One thing to keep in mind is that Vistana was recently purchased by Marriott as part of their acquisition of ILG, which owned Vistana and Hyatt. No body knows what may change, if anything, in the future. Hopefully nothing negative, but perhaps more flexibility if they provide an option to access Marriott properties. There are threads here in TUG that discuss this transaction and conjecture of the potential impact.

Best regards.

Mike

Thanks! We also have interest in taking our kids to DC, Boston and NYC so hopefully additional flexibility becomes available!

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I own at Nanea, but I bought enough points (81K) to have access to a 1-bedroom unit every year. However, these units are almost never available. I've stayed there once by combining two years for enough points to rent a 2-bedroom this past May. Also Nanea is a "voluntary" resort which makes any possible resale later on virtually worthless. So probably best to "visit" but not own.

Nanea is quite lovely, but I wouldn't have bought into it knowing what I know now. Make sure you do your research.

FamilyGolfMan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking to buy Westin

Best regards.

Mike

I've done some more research. My biggest concern is regarding booking. How hard is it to book Kierland 8 months if you want to go Feb-April? Or Maui if you want go during whale season or the summer? It sounds like it can pretty difficult and I hate to buy something we won't be able to use when we want to us it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The suggestion that you quoted is that you buy a home resort week at WKV - if you do that, you will have no problem making a home resort reservation at WKV, because you can book it at 12 mos.

You won't have a problem making a Maui Staroption reservation, as long as you:
-Make the reservation right at 8 mos.
-Are flexible about the check-in day
-Aren't trying for high season holiday weeks like President's week
-Either way, (with a Maui ownership or Staroptions) you cannot reserve Christmas or New Years, because they were sold as fixed event weeks and you have to own them to reserve them.

Honestly, the people who have the most problem making reservations are people who are not organized. If you can make a plan, put it on your calendar, and execute it at 8 mos./12 mos., you won't have a problem.

pgizzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The suggestion that you quoted is that you buy a home resort week at WKV - if you do that, you will have no problem making a home resort reservation at WKV, because you can book it at 12 mos.

You won't have a problem making a Maui Staroption reservation, as long as you:
-Make the reservation right at 8 mos.
-Are flexible about the check-in day
-Aren't trying for high season holiday weeks like President's week
-Either way, (with a Maui ownership or Staroptions) you cannot reserve Christmas or New Years, because they were sold as fixed event weeks and you have to own them to reserve them.

Honestly, the people who have the most problem making reservations are people who are not organized. If you can make a plan, put it on your calendar, and execute it at 8 mos./12 mos., you won't have a problem.

That explanation is very helpful. If someone is to book a star option reservation right at 8 months for a summer month or winter (non Presidents’ Day week) is it ever possible to get an ocean front or ocean view at any of Maui resorts? Can you request a view?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
That explanation is very helpful. If someone is to book a star option reservation right at 8 months for a summer month or winter (non Presidents’ Day week) is it ever possible to get an ocean front or ocean view at any of Maui resorts? Can you request a view?

One can book oceanfront at WKORV/N or Nanea for extra StarOptions, but it is unlikely that OF reservations will be available at the eight month mark during prime seasons.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify - with Staroptions you can only reserve "Floating View" (unassigned view) and Ocean Front, in all 3 phases of the resort. Ocean View is not offered with Staroptions. With a floating view, you could get any view, but you should expect to get Island View. With Ocean Front, you are guaranteed to get an ocean front view, but you are more likely to get a lower floor.

A 2 bdm. Floating View is 148,100 Staroptions, and a 2 bdm. Ocean Front is 176,700 Staroptions.

Usually, the ocean front villas are gone by 8 months, but you do find them during the fall and spring shoulder seasons - like May, and Sept-Dec., excluding holidays. I have seen a few in Jan. and Feb. but not very many, and you won't be able to be choosy about the date.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Usually, the ocean front villas are gone by 8 months, but you do find them during the fall and spring shoulder seasons - like May, and Sept-Dec., excluding holidays. I have seen a few in Jan. and Feb. but not very many, and you won't be able to be choosy about the date.

And most of the time, the ocean front villas at 8 months are the Studio Villas.