• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convert floating week to Flex points?

What's better, floating weeks or flex points?

• Floating weeks

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Flex Points

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I'm at Westin Desert Willows this week and attended an owner update (which, as we all know, is an opportunity for them to try to sell us more.) I own a deeded week at WDW and another at WKORV. They were pushing me to buy some Westin Flex points (ostensibly because it would give me more versatility, the ability to reserve less than seven nights at 12 months out, or to arrive any night of the week) or to convert my Maui week to points, for the same reason. "Everybody wants flex points now" was basically the line.

I understand the additional flexibility provided by those points, but am I correct in fearing that availability might be a bigger issue when using points? They tried to give me the impression that the only way to get into popular resorts like Beaver Creek would be through the Flex Points at 12 months (and it's true that it IS tough to get into some resorts at 8 months or less using StarOptions.) And because the maintenance fees are so high in Maui, my fees might go down a little. But before they moved to the FlexPoints system, they were selling deeded weeks and saying "buy now, this is your last chance to get deeded weeks, they're much better than points." So I'm not sure what to believe, lol...

I'm happy with my ownership, but am just curious what people think about weeks vs. points.

I didn't end up biting, but did buy a decent Explorer package; 240,000 Marriott Points and a 3-night stay at WDW, good for 24 months, for a little under $2,000. The points are worth that much by themself so it was an easy choice.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I'm happy with my ownership, but am just curious what people think about weeks vs. points.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Whatever you do, do not give them your deeded WKORV week and money to get Flex points. Your WKORV week has an ascertainable value on the resale market; whether Westin Flex points will have any resale value remains to be seen.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I second vactiontime1. Don’t give up a mandatory deed for voluntary points.

If it’s working why mess with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
+1 for vacationtime1

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Keep your deeded week. As stated above, your WKORV week has significant resale value - Flexoptions do not.

Last edited:

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't end up biting, but did buy a decent Explorer package; 240,000 Marriott Points and a 3-night stay at WDW, good for 24 months, for a little under $2,000. The points are worth that much by themself so it was an easy choice.

Wow. That is a very good deal. And another "wow," they are selling it in the Vistana sales centers.

Edit: "240,000 Marriott Points" cannot be Destinations Points. That would be roughly equivalent to 4,600,000 StarOptions. "240,000 Marriott Points" must be the hotel points. I withdraw both of my "wow"s.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow. That is a very good deal. And another "wow," they are selling it in the Vistana sales centers.

Edit: "240,000 Marriott Points" cannot be Destinations Points. That would be roughly equivalent to 4,600,000 StarOptions. "240,000 Marriott Points" must be the hotel points. I withdraw both of my "wow"s.
Yes, the 240,000 points is the new Marriott Reward Points.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Yes, the 240,000 points is the new Marriott Reward Points.

Yes, they are the Marriott Rewards points. They're currently valued at about 0.9¢ each, or $2,160 in all (I usually get more value than that out of them) and so it’s a good deal, especially when you add the three night stay. Of course, the whole point (for them) is that you have to sit through another presentation and give them another crack at you.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Yes, they are the Marriott Rewards points. They're currently valued at about 0.9¢ each, or $2,160 in all (I usually get more value than that out of them) and so it’s a good deal, especially when you add the three night stay. Of course, the whole point (for them) is that you have to sit through another presentation and give them another crack at you.
I have found it just as easy to smile and say "No" the second time, and the third time, and... I agree - that is a good value for the points and the stay.