• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! What does 10 k in Hilton Points get me?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Although I thought I would always rent, I have a chance to get a yearly 10k Hilton points in Vegas (Hilton Grand Vacations on Paradise). The purchase price is 2500.00. This is a resale. The MF is 2100 a year.

Is that a good deal?

Is 10k a good amount of points? I only would buy one week so I want to get the Big Kahuna in points. Are there points packages higher than 10k at Hilton? Would 10k in Hilton points get me 2 weeks in Hawaii?

What’s your guess on how much the developer would charge for a 10k Hilton Package? I was told it’s Gold season.

What are your thoughts? Good deal or run like hell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
10K points at that location is two 2BR weeks in Gold season (5K points/week). That is $0.21/point maintenance fee which is on the high side. Since you are paying very little for the purchase, you could consider that savings as offsetting the higher MFs depending on how long you plan to own (the longer you own, the less the purchase price matters).

Now if those were Platinum season weeks, you would be getting 14K points for the same MF (since MFs are determined by location and size of unit, not number of points).

As to being a good deal, it depends. It certainly is not a great deal, but it could be ok.

As to what 10K points will get you, that also depends on when and where you are vacationing. A standard 1BR in Plat season is 4800/wk, 2BR 7000/wk, and 3BR 8400/wk. Then there are Plus and Premier rooms, and then there are locations with higher point requirements, different booking windows, etc. As you can see, there is no simple answer. You can view the sticky posts in the HGVC forum for more detailed info, or visit the HGVC website.

Kurt

ETA: You probably want to ask a moderator to move this to the HGVC forum, as you will get a better response over there.

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
PigsDad said it well, but I will add that 10,000 points is a lot of points. You might want to discribe what you need, like a family of four and a two bedroom needed twice a year. If it is just two people traveling and making one trip a year, 10,000 points is too much. The nice thing is the flexibility of HGVC points is you can use a studio for four weeks one year and a one or two bedroom twice the next year.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What’s your guess on how much the developer would charge for a 10k Hilton Package?

I also agree that @PigsDad has summarized it well. I was only trying to address the above question. I think that you are asking what will HGVC charge to enroll the week. First, it must pass ROFR by HGVC. I would expect that to pass. There will be a $399 ownership change fee and also $599 enrollment/activation fee per week. That is the current fees for this year and I would expect them to increase on January 1st.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Also, if you're thinking of Hawaii every year......

Consider buying an affiliate to convert to points. Possibly lower costs and/or better usage.
Bay club...Marbrisa ....others.

You could use the Bay Club if that's your desire.....

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Although I thought I would always rent, I have a chance to get a yearly 10k Hilton points in Vegas (Hilton Grand Vacations on Paradise). The purchase price is 2500.00. This is a resale. The MF is 2100 a year.

Is that a good deal?

Is 10k a good amount of points? I only would buy one week so I want to get the Big Kahuna in points. Are there points packages higher than 10k at Hilton? Would 10k in Hilton points get me 2 weeks in Hawaii?

What’s your guess on how much the developer would charge for a 10k Hilton Package? I was told it’s Gold season.

It all depends on what size room you wanted, what season and where. Many of the Hawaii resorts do follow the standard points for the various sizes and seasons.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Google HGVC points chart for Hawaii. The club website has them if you poke around. 10,000 points won’t get you very far for high season top rooms. But doable for 1 bedroom “resort” view rooms. The open season (cash) prices might be comparable to MF, but hard to plan airfare around for best deals.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Fredflintstone,

10,000 points WILL get you very far for high season rooms at most resorts, including 2BR and 3BR ocean front rooms. Remember, the power of borrowing. You would have access to 20,000 points; 10,000 current year and 10,000 following year. Borrowing is a powerful tool in the timeshare tool box. Use it to your advantage and you may find that 10,000pts annually is plenty.

Your issue won't be the number of points, it will be availability.

Also, is the $2,500 purchase price for the full 10,000pts or (2) 2BR units? If so, that's a STEAL and you should jump on it. Now, HGVC may exercise their ROFR but it' worth a shot. Normally, the $2,500 price would be for each 2BR unit for a total of $5,000.

Good luck and all the best.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Is that a good deal?

I would say you are not overpaying based on what I have seen on eBay but being it is two weeks if an assessment occurs you will be paying twice. You might want to consider an 8400 point week elsewhere and pay more upfront but mfs per point will be less or pay nothing upfront for 5000 point weeks but have a higher mf per point. Best value is not only calculating mf per point and price but also your age and how many years you will use it.

Eventually you will figure out what is best for you and go from renting to owning because ultimately you will have more flexibility and choices.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Also, if you're thinking of Hawaii every year......

Consider buying an affiliate to convert to points. Possibly lower costs and/or better usage.
Bay club...Marbrisa ....others.

You could use the Bay Club if that's your desire.....

I dont agree with this advice, both of those would have higher maint fees to get 10k points. Bay Club is easy to book in club season. Waikiki is the tough booking for lower point units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If it were me, I would not buy because it will be difficult to sell in the future. The deed involves two units not one. You cannot easily separate them without legal fees. Better to find two separate 7k platinum Vegas or Bay Club or Marbrisa and then sell one if you think it is too many points or your lifestyle changes. A little pricier up-front but your MFs will be more efficient and you should be able to recoup some or all of your initial resale investment after you are done.

Better yet. Buy one 7k now. See how the points and system fits with your travel needs and add another one later if you need it.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If it were me, I would not buy because it will be difficult to sell in the future. The deed involves two units not one. You cannot easily separate them without legal fees. Better to find two separate 7k Vegas or Bay Clubs or Marbrisa and then sell one if you think it is too many points or your lifestyle changes. A little pricier up-front but your MFs will be more efficient and you should be able to recoup some or all of your initial resale investment after
you are done.

Better yet. Buy one 7k now. See how the points and system fits with your travel needs and add another one later if you need it.

Honestly, I would follow CalGal’s advice here. There’s a reason this package is so cheap, no one wants it. While the buyin price looks fabulous, the MF’s are killer. You could get much better MF’s than that. Now I could be wrong (I have never bought a package like this), but I believe, because there are technically two contracts, you have to add another $1000 for extra transfer ($399) and activation ($599) fees.

Platinum is the way to go. 7000 to 8400 points at Craigendarroch would suit you great. Buy in would be greater, but the MF’s would make that up in a couple of years. If I were to purchase more points, this is where I would be looking.

If buying in Europe doesn’t suit you, look at Vegas or Sea World. They have the best MF’s per point and can be had for a decent price.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I would say you are not overpaying based on what I have seen on eBay but being it is two weeks if an assessment occurs you will be paying twice. You might want to consider an 8400 point week elsewhere and pay more upfront but mfs per point will be less or pay nothing upfront for 5000 point weeks but have a higher mf per point. Best value is not only calculating mf per point and price but also your age and how many years you will use it.

Eventually you will figure out what is best for you and go from renting to owning because ultimately you will have more flexibility and choices.

Yes, thank you. I used to own 4 timeshares but sold them because they kept changing the terms that I didn’t like.

I plan to buy again IF the right deal comes along with the right contract. I am taking my time and am in no hurry.

Also, really trying to figure out which company I want to deal with. I am swayed to Hilton. I NEVER will deal with RCI again. I had a horrible experience and felt they were a money pit. So, looking at the in house clubs is best.

As most of you I have read, I love Hawaii. I thought of just buying in Hawaii to ensure I get a spot but I find the MFs to be crazy high. I have gotten ok Airbnb’s for 100 a night but do enjoy all the goodies the resorts offer (pools, etc). From my past experiences with timeshares, exchanging to Hawaii can be challenging at times.

Yes, still lots of research to do. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Your advice has been appreciated.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Fredflintstone Here are a few questions to help us assist you better:

1) Which islands do you prefer?
Oahu/Waikiki and BI (Hilton best); Maui/Kaanapali, Kauai, Oahu/Ko'Olina (Marriott/Vistana and possibly Hyatt best).

2) Do you require OF/OV views and beachfront locations e.g. Hilton Hawaiian Village, BI Ocean Tower (HGVC), Kaanapali or Ko Olina (Marriott/Vistana)? or are you happy with inland golf and mountain views (with a walk or bus to the beach e.g. Kingsland, Bay Club). Are you fine with owning in lower cost locations on the mainland and exchanging into Resort Views at beachfront resorts to keep your cost down? (HGVC has best odds of getting OF/OV trades if you book at 9 months or in non-peak times because you can specify the unit type when you book. Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt more likely to get an IV/parking lot view trade.)

3) If you buy into Hawaii HGVC and Hyatt MF run $1,200 - $2000+/year depending on unit size(however Hyatt is very expensive to purchase) ; Marriott/Vistana run $2,200 - $3000+/year.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone Here are a few questions to help us assist you better:

1) Which islands do you prefer?
Oahu/Waikiki and BI (Hilton best); Maui/Kaanapali, Kauai, Oahu/Ko'Ollina (Marriott/Vistana and possibly Hyatt best).

2) Do you require OF/OV views and beachfront locations e.g. Hilton Hawaiian Village, Kaanapali or Ko Olina? or are you happy with inland golf and mountain views (with a walk or bus to the beach e.g. Kingsland, Bay Club). Are you fine with exchanging into Resort Views at beachfront resorts to keep your cost down?

3) If you buy into Hawaii HGVC and Hyatt MF run $1,200 - $2000+/year depending on unit size(however Hyatt is very expensive to purchase) ; Marriott/Vistana run $2,200 - $3000+/year.

1. I love all the Islands. I’ve been to every island except Niihau. So, where it is doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s in Hawaii.
2. I like ocean views but know that if I have an Island view, the views are never far away. I stayed in Princeville a couple of times in an island condo and that was fine since I had a Rental car and drove to hanalei bay every day. Yes, I could exchange to keep costs down.
3. Yes, I know Hyatt is pricey and Marriott too. Disney isn’t chap either.

Even though I am flexible, I am thinking I am best to invest in the ocean view, higher end package for easier resale. If I go cheap on the timeshare and want out, it makes it much harder to get rid of.

So, I suppose get the high demand best package just for better resale or easier to sell due to high demand.

You are correct in 1. Each company does better by island.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What time of year do you usually travel to Hawaii? If you travel peak (Holidays, Whale Season, July/Aug) then it might be best to buy HI - especially Oahu. If you travel other times or are fine with BI, you might be fine if you trade HGVC into Oahu or BI.

We also love Hawaii and have been going there every year. By way of example, we trade our HGVC Vegas 7k plat unit (borrow next year points) to get an OF/OV on Oahu in early summer. We also own a Vistana OF unit on Kaanapali so can spend 2+ weeks on the islands. If we opt for smaller 1 bdrm units we could stay close to a month if we desired.

We have been happy with the HGVC system. We added Vistana/Westin because we also wanted to stay on Kaanapali OF and HGVC does not have a property there.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes, thank you. I used to own 4 timeshares but sold them because they kept changing the terms that I didn’t like.

I plan to buy again IF the right deal comes along with the right contract. I am taking my time and am in no hurry.

Also, really trying to figure out which company I want to deal with. I am swayed to Hilton. I NEVER will deal with RCI again. I had a horrible experience and felt they were a money pit. So, looking at the in house clubs is best.

As most of you I have read, I love Hawaii. I thought of just buying in Hawaii to ensure I get a spot but I find the MFs to be crazy high. I have gotten ok Airbnb’s for 100 a night but do enjoy all the goodies the resorts offer (pools, etc). From my past experiences with timeshares, exchanging to Hawaii can be challenging at times.

Yes, still lots of research to do. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Your advice has been appreciated.

Those right deals do come up, watch and when it appears go for it. I recently got one just for points on ebay and thought it was a little too low to pass rofr but to my surprise it passed. It is my only rofr week.

My other hgvc weeks are affiliates where and when I want to go at least half the time and difficult to trade into. If you find a week when and where you would want to go most of the time, and if it has a higher mf and/or lower point value you should consider it as it will be what you will mostly use. You might consider getting one week where and when you want to go and the second week just for points with best price/mfs.

Hgvc is the only system I own as I feel they treat their members the best. I have been very happy with them. Like you I do not like rci much. There are some hgvc affiliates that you can trade your week in interval where they have, at least the ones I have, high trading value.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
What time of year do you usually travel to Hawaii? If you travel peak (Holidays, Whale Season, July/Aug) then it might be best to buy HI - especially Oahu. If you travel other times, you might be fine if you trade HGVC into Oahu or BI.

We also love Hawaii and have been going there every year. By way of example, we trade our HGVC Vegas 7k plat unit (borrow next year points) to get an OF/OV on Oahu in early summer. We also own a Vistana OF unit on Kaanapali so can spend 2+ weeks on the islands. If we opt for smaller 1 bdrm units we could stay close to a month if we desired.

Nice. In my case, I am fairly flexible on times as I own my own business and hire people to cover. So, I don’t need prime times. However, I go the winter months to escape cold Canadian Winters. It looks like 7 k to 14 k points I would need for 2 weeks with Hilton. One bedroom works. I always go 2 weeks at a time.

Vistana in Maui is a lively place. I almost bought a condo in Lahaina for 300 k. They had a rental service where they rent out the weeks you don’t want for a fee. The fee wasn’t bad.

I think it was @slip that bought in Molokai recently for around 140 k. So, you may be better going this route. I’m not sure.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Those right deals do come up, watch and when it appears go for it. I recently got one just for points on ebay and thought it was a little too low to pass rofr but to my surprise it passed. It is my only rofr week.

My other hgvc weeks are affiliates where and when I want to go at least half the time and difficult to trade into. If you find a week when and where you would want to go most of the time, and if it has a higher mf and/or lower point value you should consider it as it will be what you will mostly use. You might consider getting one week where and when you want to go and the second week just for points with best price/mfs.

Hgvc is the only system I own as I feel they treat their members the best. I have been very happy with them. Like you I do not like rci much. There are some hgvc affiliates that you can trade your week in interval where they have, at least the ones I have, high trading value.

Yes, I have heard great things in Hilton. Plus they are easier to resale. The 4 timeshares I did have were legacy and were very difficult to sell. I ended up having to give them away free, throw in 500 bux and pay all transfer fees. I don’t want to be in that position again so that’s why I’m thinking more higher end. Also when I tried to exchange for Hawaii through RCI it was very difficult. I usually could only get Princeville and was lucky to get Kona once. This time I want to be able to get Hawaii time easier.
Good advice on 1/2 where you want to go and the other half trade.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The reason I have plenty of time is I have had unbelievable spots I rented in Maui at 100 a night through Airbnb.

My favourite was a 1600 square foot beach front guest house located on a beautiful quiet beach just east of lower hanopelli road. A very wealthy couple owned the place and used Airbnb to meet new people. They were awesome. They even took me out for a private luau at a friends home. They had a pool and a tennis court I could use. Plus offered to let me use their car.

We are still friends.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You might consider getting one week where and when you want to go and the second week just for points with best price/mfs.

+1 I also believe HGVC treats their members best (I am newish to Vistana/Westin and they seem fine, however I worry about Marriott devaluing the system now that they acquired Vistana.)

We have a similar strategy: we use Vegas for trading HGVC and RCI and use NYC W57 and Westin Kaanapali OF properties to stay there. We can borrow a few NYC points in a pinch on Vegas trading - but rarely need to do so because we can borrow from future years on Vegas.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
+1 I also believe HGVC treats their members best (I am newish to Vistana/Westin and they seem fine, however I worry about Marriott devaluing the system now that they acquired Vistana.)

We have a similar strategy: we use Vegas for trading and use NYC W57 and Westin Kaanapali properties to stay there. We borrow a few NYC points in a pinch on Vegas trading - but rarely need to do so because we can borrow from future years on Vegas.

Yes, I have noticed Vegas has good value compared to other places when it comes to MF. You are one of many that like HGVC and that’s why I’m swayed to them. Plus their exchange fees are fair. I do believe HGVC also makes sure they leave exchanges for owners.

Just my observation and used to really tic me off. I would go on RCI for Hawaii and nothing. Even do an ongoing search and hardly nothing. I was lucky to book twice. BUT THEN...if I was willing to pay 2 k cash plus, I had choice like you wouldn’t believe. I don’t get the same impression with HGVC.

I have heard very little about other systems.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
HGVC trading is very different than RCI or Marriott weeks trading. No OGS. It's very fluid and owners have access to most inventory at 9 months after owners take their home resort reservations. You go into the reservation system, similar to a hotel system and book available dates.

The beauty of the HGVC system is that it is very fluid and you can book short or longer stays. Most owners do not take their home week and even desirable units are available to all owners. For example, if you have the points and you are at 9 months when the club window opens you can frequently book an OF or OV unit.

In Marriott, not all units are enrolled in points, so some of the most desirable units are not available to be traded in their trust inventory. If they are traded, you have to trade a week for a week similar to RCI OGS - not fluid.

I like how HGVC grounds their points currency based on the deeded unit, and this rarely changes. IMHO...The trust point portfolios offered by Marriott (DC, Vistana Flex etc) present too many opportunities for shell games and devaluation.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
HGVC trading is very different than RCI or Marriott weeks trading. No OGS. It's very fluid and owners have access to most inventory at 9 months after owners take their home resort reservations. You go into the reservation system, similar to a hotel system and book available dates.

The beauty of the HGVC system is that it is very fluid and you can book short or longer stays. Most owners do not take their home week and even desirable units are available to all owners. For example, if you have the points and you are at 9 months when the club window opens you can often book an OF or OV unit.

In Marriott, not all units are enrolled in points, so some of the most desirable units are not available to be traded in their trust inventory. If they are traded, you have to trade a week for a week similar to RCI OGS - not fluid.

Personally I like how HGVC grounds their points currency based on the deeded unit, and this rarely changes. The trust point portfolios offered by Marriott (DC, Vistana Flex etc) too many opportunities for shell games and devaluation.

And that’s a BIG PLUS with HGVC. It’s simpler and more transparent plus makes the system focussed on owners.

One has to place a lot of trust with the timeshare company you deal with. You trust them to charge MF fairly...nothing hidden...nothing questionable. Also, you have to trust their club system too. No owner trades and they rent week for cash and tell the other owners that nothing is available.

Hilton just has a good name in hospitality and I’m betting they guard their reputation very carefully. That’s why I am swayed to them because I see them as trustworthy.