• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Grand Californian - just passed ROFR

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
After six years of owning just one timeshare I did what many of you have done and that is I bought another one. And to think I thought TUG was a support group to help us all avoid buying more!

I currently own Grand Pacific Palisades with an 8,400 HGVC point option. I just got word that DVC passed ROFR on the resale 160 point Grand Californian that we put an offer on at $155 PP. We are now waiting to close. We thought about purchasing at WDW but we plan on being at Disneyland much more than WDW and didn't like our odds to get what we wanted at VGC at the seven month mark. I am glad it passed because I didn't want to have to go through the 30 days of agony again waiting to find out if it passed ROFR.

This is the last timeshare, I promise.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Congrats. That’s a great price.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Congratulations. I would not want to rely on a 7 month window there, either.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
That is a great price! Where did you buy it and what was the asking price?

I guess DVC prices are going down again. I paid $161 a point for Grand Cal last year.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
That is a great price! Where did you buy it and what was the asking price?

I guess DVC prices are going down again. I paid $161 a point for Grand Cal last year.

Thanks TravelTime. Most of the resale’s I looked at was priced at $185 to $220 PP. I put an offer in with another broker of $150 that was listed at $200 and the broker said the seller didn’t even want to counter. I eventually found mine at Fidelity Resale’s, a licensed broker in Florida. They have a good reputation from what I could find. They seem to price more realistically and therefore their listings don’t stay on the market very long. They do have higher than norm closing costs and also have a $195 admin fee but I figured that it added about $300 to the total cost which still resulted in a good price, IMO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Thanks TravelTime. Most of the resale’s I looked at was priced at $185 to $220 PP. I put an offer in with another broker of $150 that was listed at $200 and the broker said the seller didn’t even want to counter. I eventually found mine at Fidelity Resale’s, a licensed broker in Florida. They have a good reputation from what I could find. They seem to price more realistically and therefore their listings don’t stay on the market very long. They do have higher than norm closing costs and also have a $195 admin fee but I figured that it added about $300 to the total cost which still resulted in a good price, IMO.

Yes I have used Fidelity Resales. I heard they have lower priced inventory because DVC sends distressed clients their way. I am assuming your seller really needed to cash out at that price. It is well below market!

Or perhaps this indicates the recession is coming...Oh No!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Yes I have used Fidelity Resales. I heard they have lower priced inventory because DVC sends distressed clients their way. I am assuming your seller really needed to cash out at that price. It is well below market!

Or perhaps this indicates the recession is coming...Oh No!

Sorry, didn’t answer one of your questions. The VGC was listed at $150. I offered $155 thinking there would be others throwing out an offer at the listing price.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, didn’t answer one of your questions. The VGC was listed at $150. I offered $155 thinking there would be others throwing out an offer at the listing price.

Wow, I have never heard of someone paying more than asking on a timeshare! I am very impressed with your approach. You saw the prey and went in for the kill, beating out all the others!

Reactions: RX8

SeattleJohn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the $/point will be if/when DVC decides to expand GCV or build a new property there. Disney is pretty savvy so they must realize people are willing to pay a premium for points near Disneyland.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I wonder what the $/point will be if/when DVC decides to expand GCV or build a new property there. Disney is pretty savvy so they must realize people are willing to pay a premium for points near Disneyland.

I’m still new learning the DVC ways but my thought is that when they raised the direct price of VGC to $235 PP they were possibly trying to set the pricing expectations for their new Resorts.

I know that DVC is currently active in buying back a small handful of resorts including Sarasota Springs Resort. A typical SSR buyback would leave them with an approximate $60 PP profit. I understand that is also WDW but with the demand at VGC, and limited inventory, they could have realized an $80 PP profit by buying my points back through ROFR. Not that I am complaining mind you...DVC just doesn’t seem interested in buying back VGC for some reason.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m still new learning the DVC ways but my thought is that when they raised the direct price of VGC to $235 PP they were possibly trying to set the pricing expectations for their new Resorts.

I know that DVC is currently active in buying back a small handful of resorts including Sarasota Springs Resort. A typical SSR buyback would leave them with an approximate $60 PP profit. I understand that is also WDW but with the demand at VGC, and limited inventory, they could have realized an $80 PP profit by buying my points back through ROFR. Not that I am complaining mind you...DVC just doesn’t seem interested in buying back VGC for some reason.

DVC rarely exercises ROFR. I bought Aulani for $82.50 per point and Fidelity assured me it would not be a problem since DVC rarely buys back properties. I too find that very strange. You truly scored with VGC for $155. DVC Resale Market is still advertising for over $200 a point but I suspect it will be hard to maintain if people end up seeing Fidelity selling for $150ish a point. I suspect DVC could care less about making a few thousand dollars per contract right now. It seems like DVC needs a strategic reason to exercise ROFR and it is not motivated by these small timeshare resales right now.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Wanted to share that my VGC was closed a few weeks ago. Yesterday I got the DVC welcome letter in the mail and set up the on-line account. Searched for VGC availability next August and found the whole month wide open. Made my reservations for early August. Seeing that my options were pretty much any size, any date, I am so glad I purchased at VGC rather than a different resort only to have to pray that something would be available at the 7 month mark for dates that I needed.

I love the DVC website/reservation system. So easy to use and navigate.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! We bought about 4-5 years ago and have no regrets for VGC..disneys expansion for a new hotel is now stalled so I dont see DVC expanding there soon. Even if they did the convenience of having your own entrance to the park is amazing. We just got back from a week stay and had a high park view room. It was awesome! Enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
So , what does 160 DVC points get you at the California resort?

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
So , what does 160 DVC points get you at the California resort?

And how far in advance do you need to book? Is there any short notice availability? To plan a Disneyland trip 12 months in advance would be painful.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
And how far in advance do you need to book? Is there any short notice availability? To plan a Disneyland trip 12 months in advance would be painful.
There is decent availability 7 months and 1 day out to 11 months out. At 7 months all DVC members can book here and being the smallest DVC and the only one in Disneyland. All the rooms usually book up at 7 months out as soon as booking opens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please add this to www.rofr.net if you haven't done so already.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Please add this to www.rofr.net if you haven't done so already.

Did it on my phone and messed it up, sorry. Asked for price and I put down the total dollar amount but looks like I should have entered $151 PP. can you please correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Did it on my phone and messed it up, sorry. Asked for price and I put down the total dollar amount but looks like I should have entered $151 PP. can you please correct?
Yes, i can correct it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Fixed

Last edited: