• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's funny because yesterday we had our big annual old friends reunion. Out of all of us (16 in the group, but had a couple cancel due to illness), only 3 were still working, one being my husband. Some have been retired for quite awhile= the ones with good pensions. Some also are landlords so that helps a lot as well. Two - a husband and wife- both just so happened to be let go from their jobs this August- the wife (57) was at hers' for 18 years and the husband 40 years- but the company changed hands several times while he work-ed there so he only got a 3 month's severance package. She walked away with a years salary and health insurance for her and her husband, who only needs it until next December when he turns 65. When his severance ends, he will be able to get unemployment, but he does not intend to go back to work. The wife is undergoing career coaching and will need and wants to go back to work. They live in NYC so she is bound to get something. She really liked her job and had benefits that were beyond sweet so she will probably have a big adjustment in that regard.

We got to talking about my situation of course and everyone felt I would have had a good lawsuit if the other women at my job would have joined in. They also felt I should have appealed the unemployment claims. Naturally, I explained all my reasons for doing and not doing this and that. Then they of course asked me what I was going to do and if I was retiring and all that stuff. I told them I have only been off for one month and considered myself cautiously unemployed.

I realized as I was talking I was starting to get worked up. Then it hit me that I will not be over this for awhile yet.

Just Friday, a previous office supervisor (not director) at the job I worked at had sent me a PM via Facebook asking me to call her- because I had posted an obituary of another women who used to work with us (who quit because of BS) who died suddenly last week of sepsis (very sad - my age). When I called her she also began talking about the job and then about what was done to her and how. Mind you- this was quite a number of years ago. I noticed how worked up she was getting while talking about it and thought- "Gee- she hasn't gotten over this after all these years". In fact- she does not have health insurance and mentioned she went to the YMCA for a free mammogram. (her husband has it at his job but they do not offer spousal coverage. I am not sure why she did not go on ACA coverage- didn't get into it with her).

So it seems this employer has really done a number on us for sure. But just living life is keeping me busy and I am moving forward for sure!:)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
PS I just dusted off a book I had on the shelf titled "The Joy of NOT Working, A book for the retired, unemployed, and overworked", by Ernie J. Zelinski. Third Edition, 1997. I think re reading it now will give me a different perspective from when I first read it years ago. (I did buy it used- so it was just a couple of years ago I purchased it).

I have a bunch of books like this- "Your Money or Your Life", "How to Survive Without a Salary". etc. I was always curious about the subject.

I find it funny, as I said to our friends over the weekend, that I feel somewhat guilty not working- I'm either on the defensive or the offensive with it. Doesn't help that my husband gives me little digs that he thinks are funny- saying things like- "Well- YOU don't have to get up tomorrow morning" or "Well- what did YOU DO all day today?" UGH!

It's so crazy, being I am not 42, but 62 and have been working for 46 years non stop! When in high school at age 16 worked every day after school and all school breaks and summers. Same in college. I never went on spring breaks or summer vacations to Florida or wherever like many of the other kids. Worked full time right out of college as well as I got married at age 21 and we bought a handyman special house before the wedding.

You would think at this stage of life a person that has worked all their life and lived responsibly should not have to feel this way, or worry. So I am hoping this book will be one thing to help me to relax and enjoy.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m the one that is the hardest on myself about retiring at 62. I feel like I gave up a great paying job that I loved. Loved my coworkers and students. I worked hard to get my teaching degree and feel like I threw the job away. But....the factors that made me retire were working all day and helping my girls out with the grandkids everyday after work, helping my husband fix up duplexes after tenants moved out til Late at night and weekends. I wish I would have protected my job and not been spread so thin physically, but I always did these things and as I got older I couldn’t keep up that pace. Now that it’s been 2 years retired I’m adjusting better. I still work 10 hours a week but I still want my classroom I had. And without my great salary our lifestyle has changed a lot. I felt I wasn’t ready to give up all the money and fun. It does get better with time and another year my husbands SS will kick in and that will help. Loss of self worth has not been fun

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We retired at age 57 and have no regrets. At one time I had 5 different sources of income and I switched the amount of time and effort for different earnings as the market changed. I spent long hours doing different things so although extremely busy It was not tiring as one who worked 75 hour weeks at one job. I gradually dropped one function after another and we decided to retire. I was concerned I would not be busy in retirement and that might be problematic so I wrote down 20 places to go and 20 things to do. We went all the places but Inlost the things to do after just accomplishing a couple. Retirement has been good to us . To get the boot at an older age is most difficult for those with employee jobs and entirely unfair. Employers need to be accountable for their actions and although I dislike seeing lawyers they are sometimes the best solution.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
PS I just dusted off a book I had on the shelf titled "The Joy of NOT Working, A book for the retired, unemployed, and overworked", by Ernie J. Zelinski. Third Edition, 1997. I think re reading it now will give me a different perspective from when I first read it years ago. (I did buy it used- so it was just a couple of years ago I purchased it).

I have a bunch of books like this- "Your Money or Your Life", "How to Survive Without a Salary". etc. I was always curious about the subject.

I find it funny, as I said to our friends over the weekend, that I feel somewhat guilty not working- I'm either on the defensive or the offensive with it. Doesn't help that my husband gives me little digs that he thinks are funny- saying things like- "Well- YOU don't have to get up tomorrow morning" or "Well- what did YOU DO all day today?" UGH!

It's so crazy, being I am not 42, but 62 and have been working for 46 years non stop! When in high school at age 16 worked every day after school and all school breaks and summers. Same in college. I never went on spring breaks or summer vacations to Florida or wherever like many of the other kids. Worked full time right out of college as well as I got married at age 21 and we bought a handyman special house before the wedding.

You would think at this stage of life a person that has worked all their life and lived responsibly should not have to feel this way, or worry. So I am hoping this book will be one thing to help me to relax and enjoy.

Life is like a book. You are simply on to a new chapter in life. The best part is you are at the crafting stage of you new chapter so why not take the time and create a chapter that best fits you? Research on the options you can take in your new chapter.

The old chapter is complete and has been read. Time to make your new chapter better than the last!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You won't believe this. I just received a text from two women I worked with.

One was in regards to him firing the nursing supervisor- one he had hired this year- not that long ago. I must admit- she was a bit wacky herself- but she wanted the phone number to the HR person to report the boss. Hopefully she follows through.

The second one was- WAIT FOR IT! From another coworker who I shared an office with and has been there many years like me -saying that the boss told her to contact me and WANTS ME BACK! HOLY COW! o_O

I almost fell off my chair! :eek:

She said she thinks it was a pride thing with him. She had asked him when the new marketing woman was starting (another coworker said she though she saw a new woman there for the marketing job since the other one quit) and he said- you mean the guy? (I am assuming this is the 1099 guy that the company uses for the other offices that he is not crazy about). She said he told her he wouldn't mind if I came back.She told him she could try to make it happen and he told her to go ahead, but that I quit- not like he fired me. SMH...

Anyway- I told her to not say anything to him one way or another. My brother said to ask for double the salary and make my own hours! Ha! Ha! Ha!:p

You can't make this stuff up! :confused: Boy-I never expected this! :banana:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You won't believe this. I just received a text from two women I worked with.

One was in regards to him firing the nursing supervisor- one he had hired this year- not that long ago. I must admit- she was a bit wacky herself- but she wanted the phone number to the HR person to report the boss. Hopefully she follows through.

The second one was- WAIT FOR IT! From another coworker who I shared an office with and has been there many years like me -saying that the boss told her to contact me and WANTS ME BACK! HOLY COW! o_O

I almost fell off my chair! :eek:

She said she thinks it was a pride thing with him. She had asked him when the new marketing woman was starting (another coworker said she though she saw a new woman there for the marketing job since the other one quit) and he said- you mean the guy? (I am assuming this is the 1099 guy that the company uses for the other offices that he is not crazy about). She said he told her he wouldn't mind if I came back.She told him she could try to make it happen and he told her to go ahead, but that I quit- not like he fired me. SMH...

Anyway- I told her to not say anything to him one way or another. My brother said to ask for double the salary and make my own hours! Ha! Ha! Ha!:p

You can't make this stuff up! :confused: Boy-I never expected this! :banana:

Well if thats the case, wait for the ask. Then decide. However, i would put conditions in place before returning. No need to go from frying pan to fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well if thats the case, wait for the ask. Then decide. However, i would put conditions in place before returning. No need to go from frying pan to fire.

OMG. I don't think he has any intention of calling me himself. She claims she thinks it's a pride thing with him. HUH? This man has no idea what pride even means! LOL!

I could never imagine working for him again- no way in hell. Really- he is a nut.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
OMG. I don't think he has any intention of calling me himself. She claims she thinks it's a pride thing with him. HUH? This man has no idea what pride even means! LOL!

I could never imagine working for him again- no way in hell. Really- he is a nut.

Good choice. He can just go to......

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Lol Just another thought...Never say never. He needs to call, give you a better salary and understand he needs to leave his attitude elsewhere........isn’t it great he knows what he lost !

I still think retirement is a great thing and if you can manage enjoy but if you have to work and what this co worker told you is true you can go back on your terms and ignore the nut.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Make sure conditions are favorable to you, maybe even that he is not your boss at all. You report to someone else or no one! Isn't life fun?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
It's funny because yesterday we had our big annual old friends reunion. Out of all of us (16 in the group, but had a couple cancel due to illness), only 3 were still working, one being my husband. Some have been retired for quite awhile= the ones with good pensions. Some also are landlords so that helps a lot as well. Two - a husband and wife- both just so happened to be let go from their jobs this August- the wife (57) was at hers' for 18 years and the husband 40 years- but the company changed hands several times while he work-ed there so he only got a 3 month's severance package. She walked away with a years salary and health insurance for her and her husband, who only needs it until next December when he turns 65. When his severance ends, he will be able to get unemployment, but he does not intend to go back to work. The wife is undergoing career coaching and will need and wants to go back to work. They live in NYC so she is bound to get something. She really liked her job and had benefits that were beyond sweet so she will probably have a big adjustment in that regard.

We got to talking about my situation of course and everyone felt I would have had a good lawsuit if the other women at my job would have joined in. They also felt I should have appealed the unemployment claims. Naturally, I explained all my reasons for doing and not doing this and that. Then they of course asked me what I was going to do and if I was retiring and all that stuff. I told them I have only been off for one month and considered myself cautiously unemployed.

I realized as I was talking I was starting to get worked up. Then it hit me that I will not be over this for awhile yet.

Just Friday, a previous office supervisor (not director) at the job I worked at had sent me a PM via Facebook asking me to call her- because I had posted an obituary of another women who used to work with us (who quit because of BS) who died suddenly last week of sepsis (very sad - my age). When I called her she also began talking about the job and then about what was done to her and how. Mind you- this was quite a number of years ago. I noticed how worked up she was getting while talking about it and thought- "Gee- she hasn't gotten over this after all these years". In fact- she does not have health insurance and mentioned she went to the YMCA for a free mammogram. (her husband has it at his job but they do not offer spousal coverage. I am not sure why she did not go on ACA coverage- didn't get into it with her).

So it seems this employer has really done a number on us for sure. But just living life is keeping me busy and I am moving forward for sure!:)

Wow, this hit a cord for me, your friend who is 57 and got laid off, it stinks that the mature worker keeps getting kicked to the curb... We just got a new President at my company and this guy does not understand that I can not do 2 full time jobs in one 10 hour day... He keeps trying to give me additional assignments and I have to keep saying no, I'm in the middle of open enrollment and now I'm suddenly responsible for all benefits so we can save money and not have a benefit administrator...I do need this job, because they do have really good benefits but I'm not willing to work myself into a grave to keep this job...UGH

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Consider going back as a 1099. You will be able to justify a higher salary and he cannot tell you how to do the job. Per IRS rules, 1099 are INDEPEDENT contractors, if he violates those rules you can report the company to IRS. Several big companies have lost out big time on this. Microsoft ended up settling for 97 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/13/business/technology-temp-workers-at-microsoft-win-lawsuit.html

I got a call back from IBM after taking an early retirement package at 57, I made 30K more that year but the IRS got most of it with the higher Self Employment tax. I only lasted a year and was glad to quit and finally retire, but it was nice going home every day after 8 hours while the salaried full timers worked 10-12 hour days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Consider going back as a 1099. You will be able to justify a higher salary and he cannot tell you how to do the job. Per IRS rules, 1099 are INDEPEDENT contractors, if he violates those rules you can report the company to IRS. Several big companies have lost out big time on this. Microsoft ended up settling for 97 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/13/business/technology-temp-workers-at-microsoft-win-lawsuit.html

I got a call back from IBM after taking an early retirement package at 57, I made 30K more that year but the IRS got most of it with the higher Self Employment tax. I only lasted a year and was glad to quit and finally retire, but it was nice going home every day after 8 hours while the salaried full timers worked 10-12 hour days.

Self employment tax? Higher income tax for those self employed?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Also the ability to open a SEP-IRA and stuff a huge amount of money in there, pre-tax.

Every year I max out my SEP-IRA contribution. Since my marginal tax rate is signficantly higher than any debt charges I will incur, I will even take on debt elsewhere so that I can max that contribution.

Where else can I get a 35% return on capital? In some years it's been over 40%.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

No, the same rate but SE folks pay all of it. W-2 workers split 50-50 with the employer.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, the same rate but SE folks pay all of it. W-2 workers split 50-50 with the employer.

It shows up as an additional tax obligation on your return. After you calculate your taxes and apply the same rate that everyone else does based on AGI, the self-employment tax gets added on top of that. It's also based on pre-tax dollars. So as a self-employed person you "see" a higher fraction of your income going to taxes than does a conventional employee.

But if you do the SEP-IRA contribution, that money reduces both your income tax and your self-employment tax. So if you're paying SE at net rate of 7.65% (15.3% tax, but you get to claim half of that as an adjustment to income), and you're in a 25% marginal income tax rate, your true marginal tax is 32.65%. So sticking $40,000 into a SEP IRA drops your tax bill by over $13,000, and you still have the $40,000 invested a retirement account tax-free until withdrawals. Pretty tough to beat that return.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow, this hit a cord for me, your friend who is 57 and got laid off, it stinks that the mature worker keeps getting kicked to the curb... We just got a new President at my company and this guy does not understand that I can not do 2 full time jobs in one 10 hour day... He keeps trying to give me additional assignments and I have to keep saying no, I'm in the middle of open enrollment and now I'm suddenly responsible for all benefits so we can save money and not have a benefit administrator...I do need this job, because they do have really good benefits but I'm not willing to work myself into a grave to keep this job...UGH

Hang in there! OMG- I know how it is during open enrollment. I used to be an account executive with an HMO. That is such a crazy time! I used to get pretty stressed out during that time- which is essentially the Fall for most companies. Long hours. Tight deadlines. I feel your pain! Today companies expect people to work like robots, which I guess is why a lot of them are trying to replace people with them!

As for my 57 year old friend- she worked for a huge communications company that merged with another one this year and hence, the downsizing.She had incredible benefits there- like unlimited sick time for one- and she really liked the job. At least they had the decency to lay her off and give her a years salary and health insurance for her and her husband and also free career coaching. Her 64 year old husband- his company was taken over several times and he survived up until now. He was in advertising- another fast paced, stressful job.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't know what to make of it all. At first, when I was contacted I thought- MONEY. That is the only thing that a job brings that appeals to me. Certainly not the schedule of work and the slavery to a company.

And-Remember, first and foremost, this guy is a sociopath. For all I know he could be thinking I might appeal the unemployment denial (you have 30 days- though I am not going to appeal it) and this could be his way of proving that he offered me my job back and I didn't bite. Who knows how a creep like this thinks? I know for sure I cannot work for him. If he was gone- maybe then. Honestly- even if I didn't report to him, what kind of company keeps someone like him in a director's position? Remember- I have to represent this company when I go out marketing! How can I promote a place that someone like this is in charge of?

My stance is the others in this company- the COO and CEO, etc. -are just as bad as he is. And don't get me started on the former CEO- the one that is still CEO of the doctor group at the center - who originally hired me and whom I worked under all these years. He didn't even have the decency to say goodbye to me- said nothing after all these years. This really has bothered me. Another dirt bag. No- I don't want to be around or represent a place run by dirt bags.

The woman who called me to tell me- she is known at the company as a "brown-noser"- don't get me wrong- nice and a hard worker- but some people don't trust her- she can be secretive and she does get involved in things that don't concern her most times- but I think she tries to be helpful (which is why she offered to the boss to contact me) and I have been friendly with her these past few years as she and I were in the same office area.

Just crazy. I have a headache. Let me get back to reading my book- "The Joy of Not Working". I need to do a lot of "work" on "not working", which is more my passion. LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Actually, even with 1099 employees the company draws up a contract of expectations and you have to abide by those.

30K more? I'd be lucky if he paid me 30K total. LOL! 8 hours per day? I am thinking more like 4 hours! Ha! Ha!

My ideal job- Decent salary. Make my own hours. Work from home. Company car if driving involved. 8 weeks PTO. Paid health insurance to age 65. Leave me the hell alone. LOL! Doesn't exist! Ha! Ha!:D

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one could expect you to return after everything you have went through.

I'm Canadian so I don't understand the whole 1099 employee thing, however If you could figure out a way to return (completely under your own conditions) as a 1099 employee for a 6 month or 12 month term would you then be eligible for unemployment if you did not renew your contract when it ended???? You would also want to ensure you get to report to someone other than you last idiot boss and a bunch of other guarantees which you will never get as he was never reasonable before so why would he be now.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome.

If nothing else it appears the hole you left after leaving is now being felt. Take pride in the fact you were valuable in what you did even if they couldn't admit it then, they are now.

geekette

Reaction score
Everything is negotiable. You don't have to sign as-is any contract. Whatever 2 parties agree to is what gets enforced. You are under no obligation to sign anything. Don't forget, YOU have the leverage. That means that YOU can set terms and conditions.

I, personally, would have your friend say Call Her Yourself. Not sure why she'd put herself in the middle of it.

Please do something else today, don't think about this. It's not clear that it would be good for you so table it and let your subconscious churn through it while you move along on your happy workfree life. Money isn't everything, don't let it rule you. Don't forget, you got out for valid reasons.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Everything is negotiable. You don't have to sign as-is any contract. Whatever 2 parties agree to is what gets enforced. You are under no obligation to sign anything. Don't forget, YOU have the leverage. That means that YOU can set terms and conditions.

I, personally, would have your friend say Call Her Yourself. Not sure why she'd put herself in the middle of it.

Please do something else today, don't think about this. It's not clear that it would be good for you so table it and let your subconscious churn through it while you move along on your happy workfree life. Money isn't everything, don't let it rule you. Don't forget, you got out for valid reasons.

My thoughts exactly. Take your time. Think deeply about your self-worth and emotional needs. Do no subject yourself to abuse and stress. Keep you independence if you go back.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

This is spot on advice.