• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this a smart plan?

Texasbob

Reaction score
I am kind of intrigued by the opportunity through RCI to buy weekend trips and short stays very cheaply. Those would be great for my wife and me because I work a LOT and my time off has pretty short notice sometimes.

Would it be a good idea to get a cheap timeshare off of eBay and use that as my into to RCI in order to have access to those types of specials, or would I be better off just to put my money towards cheap rentals whenever I want to go?

Any help would be appreciated.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am kind of intrigued by the opportunity through RCI to buy weekend trips and short stays very cheaply. Those would be great for my wife and me because I work a LOT and my time off has pretty short notice sometimes.

Would it be a good idea to get a cheap timeshare off of eBay and use that as my into to RCI in order to have access to those types of specials, or would I be better off just to put my money towards cheap rentals whenever I want to go?

I would never get a timeshare to buy extra vacations from RCI. Only get a timeshare if it is one you want and will use. RCI offers extra vacations for full weeks. I am not aware of short stays. What they offer is usually lower season, lower demand areas/resorts.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to get a cheap timeshare off of eBay...

You do realize that if you get a "cheap" timeshare off of E-Bay (or from anywhere else for that matter) you will be required to pay MFs, don't you? Those MFs would likely negate any savings you would get from RCI's Extra Vacations.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Where do you imagine you would be taking these last minute trips? Since you would be buying a full week and just staying the weekend you would still be looking at $250 per trip, yes that can be in a 2 br condo but for just 2 traveling priceline or something like that is likely cheaper or just as cheap without the annual MF and annual RCI membership fees.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You would be better of to look at something else, maybe Wyndham points, for short stays and weekend trips. RCI has limited inventory for short stays and weekend trips plus there is a charge for stays of less than a full week. However there is nothing wrong with using sale weeks or discounted point reservations and just not staying the full week. I've booked holiday full week stays at beach resorts here in Florida in the last 2-5 weeks before check in for 7500 points and the $239 exchange fee. Several times we weren't sure we would use the entire week but we ended up being able to stay the whole time. Our maintenance fees on 7500 points is $61 and with the exchange fee that means the week costs us $300. We couldn't get two nights at one of hotels around these resorts over a holiday weekend for $300. So if all we had used of those weeks was Friday, Saturday, Sunday and late afternoon check out on Monday we would have more than gotten our money's worth.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Why not just rent off Trip Beat which is essentially RCI discounts.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
There are not quick answers here. A points system would give your greater flexibility, allowing you to use your points per day, you can break up your points into mini vacations. You have to see where the resorts are located within a points system......I love Vistana......you can stay At Atlantis for a long weekend, spend several days at Myrtle Beach, or a long weekend in Orlando.....depending upon, how many points you own......you would buy resale on ebay, mandatory points. You have to look at the MF to see if that is something you want to do.........Marriott, Hilton, RCI all have point systems......you really need to do your homework and weigh the options..............