• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost of food (any tips?) at Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're getting ready for our family trip to Grand Luxxe at Riviera Maya. There are twelve of us - 6 adults and 6 children (almost all the grandchildren are under 6 years old). DH and I are footing the bill, so I'm looking for any advice on how to eat well for the week without blowing through our budget!

We plan on picking up food and drinks at the grocery store for early riser breakfasts and snacks, but everyone loves the idea of the brunch buffet at Restaurante/Cafe del Lago (12 X $20 every day?) and then trying out different restaurants for dinner. DH and I purchased meal coupon packages in GL NuevoVallarta in the past, which seemed quite reasonable. Do any of you Vidanta experts have tips for saving money on meals at the Riviera Maya resort? Are there restaurants/specials we should look out for? Any place off the resort that we should try?

Flasher42

Reaction score
We are heading there too Oct 28-Nov4. Also interested. What's Cafe Del Lago? Price?
I have heard that Rivera Maya does Not do the food vouchers.
Also wondering if we will have access to the Luxxe Pool?
Thanks

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cafe del Lago in Nuevo Vallarta had a humongous daily breakfast buffet from 7am to 1pm. It had everything from fresh fruits and smoothies, to sushi to a meat carving station, to made to order eggs, Mexican specialties, and more. It was about $20pp and served as our main meal of the day many times.

You're correct that Vidanta at Riviera Maya doesn't offer meal vouchers. We'll let everyone know if we can use the GL pool.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
There are some pretty good Panini's at a deli at Jade. We shared one of those in April. We also tend to share the huge hamburger and fries either at the pool or for room service. Room service is often a good deal. We buy fresh pico de gallo and guacamole at Mega along with flour tortillas, tostado shells, shredded cheese, and rotisserie chicken to make tostadas or burros. Super easy and good for lunch. I also take taco seasoning packets with me and then buy some lean ground beef to make beef tostadas/burros. There is a taco stand in the new area just south of the Beach Club.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just want to report in that as an exchanger here now, we have full access to everywhere around the resort. We've already enjoyed the Grand Luxxe pool and The Burger Custom Made for lunch.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just want to report in that as an exchanger here now, we have full access to everywhere around the resort. We've already enjoyed the Grand Luxxe pool and The Burger Custom Made for lunch.

I'm wondering if maybe the distinction is for those who aren't staying in residence level units. The GL pool/burger custom made had a sign that said Grand Luxxe Residence on them when I was there last year, prior to the restrictions.

On the other hand it seems that exchangers are getting 1 tier less access than owners. So Grand Bliss exchangers can't use beach club or Grand Luxxe Pool, Grand Luxxe exchangers can use beach club only, while GL Residence exchangers can use both.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Is it possible that PamMo is getting access because it is the off season?

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
I cant comment too much about savings here as i just got back and spent pretty freely.

Savings I bought 8 cases of beer and 2 x 1.75L vodka, water, soda mixer, and snacks at walmart $150

We (2 parents 2 kids) ate at resort restaurant almost every meal except for a few light breakfasts in the room, morning coffee, jade sandwiches, poolside late lunches, nice dinners at quinto and gong (havana moon has great fried rice/pad thai) etc and had about 2 dozen happy hour cocktails. couples spa massages x 2 times put us around $1700 usd for 2 weeks.
We did do the thursday mexican fiesta as well.

Add Some other minor groceries /supplies / sunscreen, bug spray/after bite ointment, at jade another maybe $150

We budget roughly $1000 per week as a simple average measure. We can easily spend bit more but could also try spend less but it can be a bit much too much work to cook during vacation

Last edited:

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan

Could be.

It was pretty empty first few week october.

Didnt even look 1/4 full.

By the way the live rock music at havana moon is fun as well as havana moon beach party / salum beach party.

Last edited:

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
I'm wondering if maybe the distinction is for those who aren't staying in residence level units. The GL pool/burger custom made had a sign that said Grand Luxxe Residence on them when I was there last year, prior to the restrictions.

On the other hand it seems that exchangers are getting 1 tier less access than owners. So Grand Bliss exchangers can't use beach club or Grand Luxxe Pool, Grand Luxxe exchangers can use beach club only, while GL Residence exchangers can use both.

Im sure the reason they are more lax at beach club is it is pretty much a chiringito restaurant. You are assigned a seat area and no outside food or drink so you are basically eating and drinking there if you stay the afternoon

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Actually “Grand Luxxe Residence” is the name for the Grand Luxxe units from the spas down, the loft and 4 BR ones are “The Residence at Grand Luxxe.”

One other item: looks like they changed the name of the Jungle Luxxe Suites to Grand Luxxe 1 bedroom Deluxxe suites on their website. Rebranding a bit to line up with the NV Tower 6 Deluxxe units going in, I would guess.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually “Grand Luxxe Residence” is the name for the Grand Luxxe units from the spas down, the loft and 4 BR ones are “The Residence at Grand Luxxe.”

One other item: looks like they changed the name of the Jungle Luxxe Suites to Grand Luxxe 1 bedroom Deluxxe suites on their website. Rebranding a bit to line up with the NV Tower 6 Deluxxe units going in, I would guess.

That would line up a bit with my theory about getting 1 level down access as an exchanger. Maybe the residence gets GL access, GL gets beach club which is Grand Bliss, and Grand Bliss gets Grand Mayan and below

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
T

That was exactly what they said, rpennisi. It's low season, but we were surprised all the flights down here out of Baltimore (4 this morning) were full.

We're noticing some differences between here and GL Nuevo Vallarta in April - both exchange reservations into 4BR's with the $11pp daily resort fees.

1. We waited almost an hour for our shared shuttle from the airport to the resort. Very different from no waiting for a taxi from the Vidanta welcome room at PVR to the resort.
2. Only 3 wifi devices allowed at a time per unit here. We had no problems with nine devices in NV (4 of us in tech fields having to work while on vacation).
2. There's no dish or laundry detergent and only one bar of soap per bathroom here. We like separate face and bath/shower bars of soap. We were told to go to the Vidanta Jade store to buy detergent/soap if we want it. Also, a sign in the room states if housekeeping washes the dishes, there is something like a USD$50 fee, so it's all a bit confusing. Just a very different "vibe" than NV, where everyone on the staff seemed to bend over backwards to help guests.

We'll explore more tomorrow...

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
No dish or laundry soap in a 4 bedroom at GL NV this week. We always bring our own laundry soap (preschooler with eczema) but hadn't brought dishwasher detergent, and got some at wal-mart.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Never had laundry soap provided myself. We always bring our own. Haven’t had an issue with regular soap, though.

This last visit to NV, we took some TUG advice and tipped the maids at the beginning of the week instead of the end. Wound up with more chocolates than we could eat and no issues with getting soap. You might ask the concierge for some envelopes and your maids’ names and drop them a 20; I’ll bet that works wonders and they earn it....

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
This last visit to NV, we took some TUG advice and tipped the maids at the beginning of the week............................ and they earn it....

They certainly do -

one afternoon 2 years ago - at the Sea Garden NV I went up to the suite to get something -
the housekeeper - Sylvia was on her hands & knees scrubbing the bathroom floor.

hard work - done well .

I have always offered our housekeeper the food & fridge leftovers / and had them accepted
A fold flat cardboard cooler or a box from OXXO helps .

We write a note ( using a bit of Spanish )and give the housekeepers name
then sign it with our room number

{Whether it is brought home or shared is up to them - I am glad it is not going to waste by being thrown out < simply because our vacation is over > }

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, our initial impressions have changed. I have no complaints whatsoever over housekeeping, concierges, and restaurant staff. They have been outstanding! We always try to thank them personally for their help at the beginning of our stay, and tip daily. I think Sunday must have been a busy day here, and we just hit a couple of people who were tired and ready to go home.

Our family is having a great time!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... but there’s more to life than money....

Just not before going to an update!

You've got that right, Eric!

Our kids and grands are all off to Xel Ha for the day, so this is a quiet, romantic day at the beach club with DH. Having a great day!

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
grand mayan RM 4 trips has run us the following

1500 for 4 adults 3 kids. ate 2 meals at resort plus pool side drinks at happy hour.

80 for groceries at local grocery store.

we do not drink alcohol so cannot comment on ones bar tab. not aware of meal coupons. if you have advice let me know as we are going in 4 weeks.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They don't do the meal plan in RM, just in NV (to my knowledge; not sure about the other locations).

We liked the mercato near Salum before everything there opened. Good place to get inexpensive eats; probably still good but with everything else there open now it'll be more crowded. Haven't been there since they finished that.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
We're getting ready for our family trip to Grand Luxxe at Riviera Maya. There are twelve of us - 6 adults and 6 children (almost all the grandchildren are under 6 years old). DH and I are footing the bill, so I'm looking for any advice on how to eat well for the week without blowing through our budget!

We plan on picking up food and drinks at the grocery store for early riser breakfasts and snacks, but everyone loves the idea of the brunch buffet at Restaurante/Cafe del Lago (12 X $20 every day?) and then trying out different restaurants for dinner. DH and I purchased meal coupon packages in GL NuevoVallarta in the past, which seemed quite reasonable. Do any of you Vidanta experts have tips for saving money on meals at the Riviera Maya resort? Are there restaurants/specials we should look out for? Any place off the resort that we should try?
Its been a couple years since we were there but you could rent a poolside palapa (have to be there the day before if its busy) and they would credit it back if you spent some amount of money poolside on food or drink (I think it was $75 but cant remember). If its hot and the pools your thing then its a good way to go. Their record keeping was a notepad and a pencil so I think we were under the amount one day and still never got charged for the palapa. Ditto on the threads here about tipping the maids well. They work hard and even harder with some recognition.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Renting" a special palapa at the Beach Club was US$250, which included a bottle of premium liquor and a couple of other things I can't remember what - maybe bottled water and a dedicated server? We were surprised, and asked several times if we understood the cost correctly. It did not include food or anything else more valuable to us than the shade of a regular palapa. There were a few groups of couples that were enjoying the service though, and they seemed to be having a great time in their party cabanas!