• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Question

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Can you book a resort and then change to another resort without having to pay a fee the second time? Asking for a friend.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you booked online, you have a changeable reservation. That means you can change it at any time the same year, without paying another fee. Can be another resort, a different time, a different size -- doesn't matter. They all fall under the changeable reservation umbrella.

If you booked by calling in, however, you're up a creek.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Yes, if you booked online, you have a changeable reservation. That means you can change it at any time the same year, without paying another fee. Can be another resort, a different time, a different size -- doesn't matter. They all fall under the changeable reservation umbrella.

Thanks. Do I need to purchase cancellation protection?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thanks. Do I need to purchase cancellation protection?

No, I wouldn't (actually I never have) for a changeable reservation. If you have a changable reservation and you need to cancel within 30 day period, then move the reservation to somewhere/place > 30 days out using all your points or more in the reservation. Once it is moved then cancel the reservation.

The only time you may consider adding cancellation protection is if the reservation is near the end of the year or non-changeable reservation.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yes, if you booked online, you have a changeable reservation.
This is true for most reservations. If you have made a home week reservation, then that is non-changeable. But there isn't a fee to book nor cancel a home week reservation. The other issue is with Fiesta Americana reservations. They are now non-changeable reservations. So you will need to cancel and rebook with another fee to change.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

They changed that a couple years ago, all club reservations* are now changeable, they just charge you more by phone.

*Except FA as GT75 has pointed out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW, when changing a booking online, the website assumes your primary goal is new dates.
The link to change resorts is not so obvious, but can help find availability MT 30 days out to avoid a cancellation penalty.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can easily see how to change a reservation to different dates wholly available in the same resort; also wholly available dates in other resorts. What I cannot see how to do is to ADD a day to an existing resort. Example: I have 10/1-10/7. I decide I want 10/8. It's available. I can't click it any way I try, by changing dates up top or anything else. Nothing is clickable. How do you accomplish this without calling in?

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
On the home page, click on 'Change Reservation'. Then you can use the scroll bar up top to stretch out your reservation 1 day. Then click on the blue bar that shows the number of points being used. I think that will take you to the next screen to confirm the changes.

upload_2019-1-6_16-17-58.png

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that works if my reservation is still available. It's not. So nothing shows up in the middle bar there. UGH.
I wonder if it's my browser? I am using chrome.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I use Chrome as well. Maybe that time period is no longer available?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you have a changeable reservation and you want to add a single day that looks available, but your current reservation is the only inventory available for the preceding dates, then try calling (they are not open today), tell them what you are trying and failing to do, they might be able to do it for you and waive the fee.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I agree with the recommendation that @Sandy VDH have provided if that is your issue. There is a know bug in the reservation change feature.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Which I thought that they had fixed...but seems not.
I am certain that it isn't fixed. I have run into the issue in the past few months. I think that it is better than previous but I would suggest that you call if you can not modify a reservation.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
I will call.
The frustrating part is that these days are going quickly and I am afraid I will get blocked out. I almost wonder if it's worth it (to me) to pay th extra booking fee to book 3 nights online later tonight when it switches days and then call in tomorrow and have them combine them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
On the home page, click on 'Change Reservation'. Then you can use the scroll bar up top to stretch out your reservation 1 day. Then click on the blue bar that shows the number of points being used. I think that will take you to the next screen to confirm the changes.

View attachment 9783

I just checked Marbisa for these dates and there does appear to be 2 BR available right now. Unless this is not Marbisa, but it looks like it from the room descriptions.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to call them today and get an extra night added, and they started a "ticket" because when they tried to replicate what I was seeing, they couldn't change the reservation either.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did fix my issue. Now I can make the changes I want :)

Now, tonight, none of my hgvc points are showing in my dashboard and when I try to change a booking, I get an error message. Have tried safari and chrome, same. Is this happening to anyone else tonight? Was fine earlier today.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did fix my issue. Now I can make the changes I want :)

Now, tonight, none of my hgvc points are showing in my dashboard and when I try to change a booking, I get an error message. Have tried safari and chrome, same. Is this happening to anyone else tonight? Was fine earlier today.

Just cleared up. About an hour.