• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good or bad idea to reserve with points pending exchange?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I can only reserve my silver Playa Andaluza week next month (for Nov 2019), my plan is to lock it off and place request first, one of the requests I will make is for a 1 bedroom in May in Grande Vista in Orlando, but incase I dont get it I was thinking to reserve it with my points and then cancel the points if the exchange comes through? I have never done an exchange before so a bit clueless!

Last edited:
Reaction score
interval will place a 59 day restriction on any deposit made within 60 days to the check in and wont allow a request first deposit less than 60 days to check in at all...might be better off waiting until that week is gone and putting in a replacement usage request and then putting in your request. with points you have a lot of flexibility 61 days or more out.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
interval will place a 59 day restriction on any deposit made within 60 days to the check in and wont allow a request first deposit less than 60 days to check in at all...might be better off waiting until that week is gone and putting in a replacement usage request and then putting in your request. with points you have a lot of flexibility 61 days or more out.

I don't understand? My week that I reserve and would be exchanging will be reserved in Nov 2018 for a week in Nov 2019. And I will be looking to exchange the Nov 2019 week for May 2019.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents - but if you are looking for MGV in May - I wouldn't exchange. Buy a getaway today for less than $500 for the week.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Just my 2 cents - but if you are looking for MGV in May - I wouldn't exchange. Buy a getaway today for less than $500 for the week.

I usually do that but I need to use up this week as can't elect for points so I don't want to waste it. Normally I reserve the points as a back up and once a getaway comes up I cancel the points reservation. Flights are already booked and coming from Spain so need back up plans!!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only book my silver Playa Andaluza week next month, my plan is to lock it off and place request first, one of the requests I will make is for a 1 bedroom in May in Grande Vista in Orlando, but incase I dont get it I was thinking to reserve it with my points and then cancel the points if the exchange comes through? I have never done an exchange before so a bit clueless!
As long as you have DC points available, I think it is a good idea to reserve with your points and cancel that reservation if the exchange comes through. The only downside is that those points won't be available for other reservations, and you need to cancel 61 days prior to check-in to avoid penalty box. I frequently use this strategy so I can book my travel itinerary, but I have a lot of DC points available to use for multiple reservations.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
As long as you have DC points available, I think it is a good idea to reserve with your points and cancel that reservation if the exchange comes through. The only downside is that those points won't be available for other reservations, and you need to cancel 61 days prior to check-in to avoid penalty box. I frequently use this strategy so I can book my travel itinerary, but I have a lot of DC points available to use for multiple reservations.

Thank you, yes I have enough points at the moment over to do it, thanks.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only book my silver Playa Andaluza week next month, my plan is to lock it off and place request first, one of the requests I will make is for a 1 bedroom in May in Grande Vista in Orlando, but incase I dont get it I was thinking to reserve it with my points and then cancel the points if the exchange comes through? I have never done an exchange before so a bit clueless!
We also own at Playa and interestingly stayed at Grande Vista this year.
Grande Vista should be fairly easy to exchange into with a lock off as there is usually lots of availability at GV. Although there is no harm in doing what you suggest by using points to secure it in the first instance.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
We also own at Playa and interestingly stayed at Grande Vista this year.
Grande Vista should be fairly easy to exchange into with a lock off as there is usually lots of availability at GV. Although there is no harm in doing what you suggest by using points to secure it in the first instance.

Great thanks, do you mind me asking what you traded and what you got? As is unit size and season.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No downside to reserving a backup with DC points as long as you are able to secure the exchange outside of 60 days, you can cancel the DC reservation and get full use of the points back.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thanks, do you mind me asking what you traded and what you got? As is unit size and season.
I think it was a Lock Off we have at Canyon Villas. I don't think I've ever traded Playa, as we go several weeks a year. Playa is probably a much better trade than Canyon Villas so I don't see too much of a problem

Reaction score
I don't understand? My week that I reserve and would be exchanging will be reserved in Nov 2018 for a week in Nov 2019. And I will be looking to exchange the Nov 2019 week for May 2019.
Ahh I see That makes much more sense. if you re read your original post again you may see the confusion as it makes it sound like you can only book one week and its for Nov of 2018 to attempt your trade for the week your wanting next year when in reality your meaning your release date for the inventory to get it booked. best of luck with your upcoming bookings!

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Ahh I see That makes much more sense. if you re read your original post again you may see the confusion as it makes it sound like you can only book one week and its for Nov of 2018 to attempt your trade for the week your wanting next year when in reality your meaning your release date for the inventory to get it booked. best of luck with your upcoming bookings!

Thanks! Have edited opening post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it was a Lock Off we have at Canyon Villas. I don't think I've ever traded Playa, as we go several weeks a year. Playa is probably a much better trade than Canyon Villas so I don't see too much of a problem

Depends what season. When looking at trades with a 2BR Playa Silver Sea Front, I see less desirable properties than I see with a studio Palm Desert high season. For this reason, I will always be electing points in the future since Playa has a decent points value.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I have a 3 bed silver sea front, I guess with lock off it becomes a 2 bedroom & a studio?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Depends what season. When looking at trades with a 2BR Playa Silver Sea Front, I see less desirable properties than I see with a studio Palm Desert high season. For this reason, I will always be electing points in the future since Playa has a decent points value.

I am hoping to exchange into Harbour lake 2 bedroom last week in oct or 1st in nov as first choice and second choice the studio portion into studio or 1 bed in Grande Vista 9th May.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to exchange into Harbour lake 2 bedroom last week in oct or 1st in nov as first choice and second choice the studio portion into studio or 1 bed in Grande Vista 9th May.

I would think you will be ok.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 bed silver sea front, I guess with lock off it becomes a 2 bedroom & a studio?

We have never needed to trade our full 3 bed silver sea front with Interval.
We either elect for points - 3375 or lock off and exchange our 2 bed or studio separately.
Our experience is that either of these options works well.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Barry, to exchange my only option is with II, ye?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your only free option is to exchange via II. You can exchange in other companies if you have a paid membership in them. I suppose you could try an exchange here on TUG with someone, but, your only normal option is to exchange via II. I suppose you could occupy!

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Your only free option is to exchange via II. You can exchange in other companies if you have a paid membership in them. I suppose you could try an exchange here on TUG with someone, but, your only normal option is to exchange via II. I suppose you could occupy!

Yes I want to try exchange! If it doesn’t work then I will use it! Just double checking II was the normal route not via Marriott website.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the normal route. Of course, first you probably want to reserve your time on the MVCI website, and lockoff if desired. Then, II website.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, to exchange my only option is with II, ye?

Yes, as Steve says, your only free option to exchange is II (or TUG)
Just remember that if you decide to lock off and exchange your Master and Guest units separately and trade either or both of these into larger units at other resorts you will need to pay II unit size upgrade fee(s)

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Thanks Barry, presume the 3 bed gets locked off into a 2 bed and a studio? So gonna try exchange 2 bed for 2 bed and then studio was gonna chance looking for a 1 bedroom as studio to 2 bed might be a bit too ambitious

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
What are the unit upgrade fees?