• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purpose of W 9 for buying a resale.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I already own a fixed week at Blue Ridge Village that is now managed by Bluegreen. I acquired another week and bluegreen told the closing company a W9 is required for the transfer to take place. What would be the reason they need it?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
They don’t need it, its a way to get your SSN to report income to the IRS but I can’t think of a reason a timeshare resale purchase is going to generate income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
According to a prior Tug Thread, no good reason. Contact Blue Green directly and ask them, sometimes closing companies are “mining” for information. This was the conclusion and experience of folks here!!!

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bluegreen points transfer agreements have a form that looks like a pseudo credit application form. It is required on that form. They also request a W-9 with the transfer documents. I don't know whether they will transfer without it, or just the last 4 of the SSN, but it is on their transfer forms

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen points transfer agreements have a form that looks like a pseudo credit application form. It is required on that form. They also request a W-9 with the transfer documents. I don't know whether they will transfer without it, or just the last 4 of the SSN, but it is on their transfer forms
I am trying to find out the why. I called Bluegreen. They cannot connect me to the transfer department but supposedly sent my questions to them.

I also asked the closing company if they have a phone number or email as they gave me the name of the rep asking for the required w9 at Bluegreen.

I can understand if the hoa wants to do a credit check to make sure I can make my payments but that is not what is being presented. Was thinking maybe there is another reason. I already own there so really can’t understand the why. I don’t like them having my ss# if there isn’t a valid reason. They already have a copy of my drivers license. I wonder if their intent is to see if I am credit worthy for one of their future owner updates.

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out the why. I called Bluegreen. They cannot connect me to the transfer department but supposedly sent my questions to them.

I also asked the closing company if they have a phone number or email as they gave me the name of the rep asking for the required w9 at Bluegreen.

I can understand if the hoa wants to do a credit check to make sure I can make my payments but that is not what is being presented. Was thinking maybe there is another reason. I already own there so really can’t understand the why. I don’t like them having my ss# if there isn’t a valid reason. They already have a copy of my drivers license. I wonder if their intent is to see if I am credit worthy for one of their future owner updates.

Finding out why might be an exercise in futility. They are just going to say "Because it is required." They being the closing company and Bluegreen. Just stick to your guns and tell them you are already an owner so all that information is on file. They don't need any additional information. You may have some luck calling the resort direct and asking for a manager. See if you can send him/her a copy of the deed and a transfer fee and he can put it in the system.

I doubt they are trying to see your credit worthiness at this point. You are already an owner so they know you have purchased at least once.

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the last Blue Ridge Village unit we closed and there is no W-9 in the final transfer documents we sent to Bluegreen. Bluegreen received the docs in August and confirmed transfer last month. They don't need it unless something has changed in the last 4-6 weeks, which is unlikely.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Most of the timeshares I’ve bought have required a SS#. Is that not the norm?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just looked at the last Blue Ridge Village unit we closed and there is no W-9 in the final transfer documents we sent to Bluegreen. Bluegreen received the docs in August and confirmed transfer last month. They don't need it unless something has changed in the last 4-6 weeks, which is unlikely.
I looked at some older tug posts. This is one of the posts from 2015. Wonder the legality of it.

“I just spoke with a Bluegreen rep in order to answer this question. Bluegreen informed me that they require the social security number of the buyer in order to protect themselves from the buyer in the case that he or she would refuse to pay club dues or maintenance fees.

In the event that a title owner and benefits recipient ceases to make agreed upon payment on club dues and maintenance fees, they have the ability to report it to the credit agencies as a missed payment.

This is necessary for Bluegreen's protection even if the mortgage tothe property is paid in full.”

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just some info I found online.

• What should you do if you receive a request for a W-9 from an unexpected source? By law, you are only obligated to provide a W-9 to parties that intend to pay you interest, dividends, non-employee compensation, or any other type of reportable income. If someone unexpected asks for a W-9, ask them why they need it. If their answer doesn’t align with any valid reason, you legally don’t have to provide one.
Now getting bluegreen to back off is probably not going to happen but I want in writing the why.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most of the timeshares I’ve bought have required a SS#. Is that not the norm?
For me, no. My memory thinks once I had to but don’t remember which. I will have to go look. I think I was told needed for the closing company for their records for proof I was who I said. My deed is already transferred. This is for bluegreen which is handling my fixed week transfer.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have W-9s on file at several resorts and agencies -- resorts that I sometimes ask to accept a week into their rental program and rental agencies that rent my weeks to clients.

There's no valid reason to provide a W-9 to someone who is not going to be sending you payments -- except refusing to provide it may stop the deal.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't know what W9 is, but I think(?) when we acquired our free Pollard Brook timeshare they asked for SS #'s.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know what W9 is, but I think(?) when we acquired our free Pollard Brook timeshare they asked for SS #'s.
W9 is just the official form used to collect a SSN. You would have signed one if you ever took out a home mortgage.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It is a perfectly routine form. The W-9 requester is someone who has to report to the IRS payments made to a taxpayer. To make the report to the IRS, the W-9 requester needs to know the taxpayers SSN or Taxpayer ID.

Here's the form.

Attachments

• Form W-9.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 37

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It is a perfectly routine form. The W-9 requester is someone who has to report to the IRS payments made to a taxpayer. To make the report to the IRS, the W-9 requester needs to know the taxpayers SSN or Taxpayer ID.

Here's the form.

It is a perfectly routine form -- when there is a need to disclose one's SSN.

Unless one is receiving taxable income from someone, there is no need for that someone to have the taxpayer's SSN.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a perfectly routine form -- when there is a need to disclose one's SSN.

Unless one is receiving taxable income from someone, there is no need for that someone to have the taxpayer's SSN.

We are in violent agreement. See my Post #13 in this string.