• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Non Name-Brand Resort equivilant (or close) to the big names......

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We typically exchange into name brands when they are available in the area we are traveling to. Marriott, Hyatt, HGVC, Westin, etc. I like our down time at the resorts and I know the rooms will be clean, in need of no major repairs or renovations, nice pools and offer activities.

But, as I look through the resort directory, there appears to be others out there (maybe even smaller systems or independents) that offer the same features as the big guys.

I'm curious - what other resorts would you consider comparable to the brand name ones?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
There are 2 that come to my mind quickly. If you like the Caribbean than Divi Resorts. We own in Aruba but they are located on multiple islands and we have stayed at 2 others besides Aruba. In the US we like Vacation Village. Grandview ownership gives you very good points buying power. They also have resorts in very desirable locations like Florida, Williamsburg, and Massanutten.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We find that VRI resorts to be of comparable quality to the hotel branded ones. The majority are owner controlled and close to area attractions.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think that Carlsbad Seapointe (after the remodel) is just as nice as any of the hotel brands. I love Coronado Beach Resort too but I think that they are a step below the hotel timeshares because the "kitchenette" while functional is not really a kitchen, so not comparable imho.

I really like the Embarc resort in Palm Desert, the Explorean in Cozumel, and Grand Solmar in Cabo. All are just as good if not better than the name brands.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
RCI Gold Crown rating (or II similar) is one thing you could consider.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Love this thread and the resorts above are good ideas. I would second Seapointe (an HGVC affiliate) and add Embarc Whistler (Diamond).

Fiesta Americana Cabo is very nice (HGVC affiliate)

I have heard Manhattan Club in NYC is nice but haven't stayed there. I have also heard good things about Peak 8, 9 and Timber lodges in Breck but cannot vouch firsthand.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What area?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We find that VRI resorts to be of comparable quality to the hotel branded ones. The majority are owner controlled and close to area attractions.

I have never heard of VRI. Can you provide some examples? Which system do you trade to get them - RCI or II?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure. Take a look at www.vriresorts.com I think most exchange through RCI, but II may have some. They are independent TSs, and iirc, there are 71 under VRI management. True, some are better than others, but as a whole, I think their standards are very close to the Big Name brands.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What area?

We typically travel in US and Caribbean. We are East Coast - so that is easier.

I have a bad habit of searching with my list of codes for all the name brands - I'm sure I miss a few gems out there.

Watching the LM AC availability like I do, I come across a lot of places in Florida (outside Orlando) that get the gold crown, but I had never heard of. Wonder if they are worth checking out.

The big names are usually located in all the big locations.....I'm getting tired of those and want to explore other areas (Tennessee comes to mind) but the branded systems are not there.

As for VRI - I have stayed in a lot of them in New England. Correct it is hit or miss.....but for the most part, they do hit all the bullets for me, but some do need a bit of a face lift. But here in New England....there are no branded resorts.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe the pool isn't all that, or the furniture a little worn. But you'll probably have a great time.

If we were retired and had more vacation time we would likely be more adventurous, but with few vacation days, we want high quality - especially if we will be in the room in a resort. Ski, Disney, Vegas we are not so particular because we are not in the room much.

I would not want to trade our expensive HGVC or Westin points for a downgrade. However if these are available as getaways, then they are worth a try. We purchased a week at Grandview for $499 as a getaway on RCI. It was a nice resort with nice amenities but about a mile away from the LV strip. It was slightly below the quality of HGVC or Westin with some minor differences but still very nice and we enjoyed staying there. Grandview seems to be available quite regularly as a getaway. My DH stayed at Tahiti Village for a conference and really enjoyed that stay.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe the pool isn't all that, or the furniture a little worn. But you'll probably have a great time.
Agree. And we've stayed at branded resorts (mostly Marriott's) that have been in that exact same condition, so it can happen anywhere.

For us it's all about location. As long as it's a clean place and in pretty good condition, we're good.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been Marriott owners for nearly 20 years and I have never done a search such as the one you describe above. I usually start with location. Then, if I find something interesting, I turn to Tug reviews. Hopefully I find something there that helps me decide. There was only one horrible exchange in my timeshare history of visiting nearly 100 places.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've been Marriott owners for nearly 20 years and I have never done a search such as the one you describe above. I usually start with location. Then, if I find something interesting, I turn to Tug reviews. Hopefully I find something there that helps me decide. There was only one horrible exchange in my timeshare history of visiting nearly 100 places.
I will search using the Marriott codes to get the exchange discount. But I agree, location is the most important factor.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breckenridge Grand Vacations Resorts in Colorado are generally awesome. Others have said the Vacation Village Resorts, but I personally was disappointed at the Grandview.