• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Star options to marriot points

pgizzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to understand a few things regarding conversions.

what is the ratio to convert star options to the new marriot points?

Does it ever make sense to convert star options to marriot points?

How does Converting star options to marriot points compare to depositing in interval international?

Looking to buy in Maui some day!

Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You can’t convert StarOptions to Marriott Points.

Perhaps you are talking about StarPoints? These are converted 1:3 to Marriott points.
You can convert SOs to SPs then to Marriott Points. But, the 1st step (SO-SP) is generally not worth the conversion (in most cases).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can convert an underlying Vistana week to Reward points. You can also convert Home Options or Flex Options to Marriott Reward points. Perhaps this is what the OP was referring to?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You can convert SOs to SPs then to Marriott Points. But, the 1st step (SO-SP) is generally not worth the conversion (in most cases).
Starpoints don't really exist anymore. You don't convert to Starpoints then to Marriott Reward points now. It is a single transaction. Convert your week to Marriott Reward points using the 1:3 ratio based on how many Starpoints your week was previously worth. Though as noted, it may not make much sense to do so.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to understand a few things regarding conversions.

what is the ratio to convert star options to the new marriot points?

Does it ever make sense to convert star options to marriot points?

How does Converting star options to marriot points compare to depositing in interval international?

Looking to buy in Maui some day!

Thanks
Just to add, you don't even get the option to convert, unless you buy directly from the developer

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just to add, you don't even get the option to convert, unless you buy directly from the developer

Or requalify a resale by buying from Developer (VSE)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Starpoints don't really exist anymore. You don't convert to Starpoints then to Marriott Reward points now. It is a single transaction. Convert your week to Marriott Reward points using the 1:3 ratio based on how many Starpoints your week was previously worth. Though as noted, it may not make much sense to do so.

Has VSE updated the StarPoints for their VOIs? I thought that they were still being converted 1:3 to Marriott Points after the SO-SP conversion (for those VOIs that are qualified to allow conversion).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has VSE updated the StarPoints for their VOIs? I thought that they were still being converted 1:3 to Marriott Points after the SO-SP conversion (for those VOIs that are qualified to allow conversion).

They haven't updated the amounts in the online VSE accounts. They are still being converted at a 1:3 ratio. The only difference is that now you don't convert to StarPoints and then to Marriott Reward points like one would have done the past several months. It goes straight to Marriott Reward Points.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
They haven't updated the amounts in the online VSE accounts. They are still being converted at a 1:3 ratio. The only difference is that now you don't convert to StarPoints and then to Marriott Reward points like one would have done the past several months. It goes straight to Marriott Reward Points.

the accounts have been showing the updated amounts (is 240000 instead of 80000) for a few weeks now...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
the accounts have been showing the updated amounts (is 240000 instead of 80000) for a few weeks now...
You look to be right. So no more 1:3 ratio.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP is also implying a resale purchase, which means there are no associated starpoints/marriott reward points option.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OP is also implying a resale purchase, which means there are no associated starpoints/marriott reward points option.

I do not see mention of resale in OP - just about buying Maui someday, and asking about converting SO to Marriott Points.

Bottom-line... Generally, not a great usage to convert SO to Marriott Points, or use II.
Especially Maui SOs...

pgizzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it! So 148,000 star options equals 80,000 star points which is now 240,000 marriot “points”. I can see where making that conversion would make little sense. Thanks for all the input.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Got it! So 148,000 star options equals 80,000 star points which is now 240,000 marriot “points”. I can see where making that conversion would make little sense. Thanks for all the input.

One advantage is flexibility. Also, a 10% bonus and conversion fee is waived for 5* Elites (my numbers may be off). And, can convert as late as October (I think...). Some Tuggers find value in conversion.

I use my Hawaii weeks - and use WKV SOs to stay in Maui.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

not that simple unfortunately!

not all 148100 SO properties convert to 240000. WKORV and WKORVN do. WLR and WDW convert to 216000. other owners can chime in other properties.

even different weeks at the same resort could vary. I have two different 81000 SO weeks at SVR, where one converts to 126000 and the other to 138000...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Correct, but I think they were discussing Maui specifically.

tperez

Reaction score
We convert a portion of our portfolio every year and I'd say that if you are purchasing just to convert, it would be difficult to justify financially because you'll need to purchase something from the developer and that will be pricey. However, if you want to go to KOR/KORN/Nanea and occasionally go somewhere else, I think the conversion can make sense. KOR or KORN convert to 240,000 MR points with a possible 10% bonus based on your status. Within the MR system, if you book 4 nights with points you get the 5th night free. So for 240,000 MR points, you can get a room that costs 30,000 points per night for 10 nights (8 using points, 2 free). We've done this a few times and stayed at places like the Westin Kyoto Japan as well as the Times Square Element for 10 nights. It's nice to have the flexibility.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
One thing I noticed with the switch. My points converted on a 1:3 basis but the hotel I normally use at Heathrow in London went from 7,000 to 24,000 :confused:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed with the switch. My points converted on a 1:3 basis but the hotel I normally use at Heathrow in London went from 7,000 to 24,000 :confused:

a lot moved around, but i think overall it was a wash.

the hit is going to be post Jan when a bunch of higher end properties go from the capped 60000 to 80000+, and peak pricing rolls out...

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

But is the 7,000 a Starpoint number and the 24,000 a Marriott point number? If so, the increase is roughly 14% when one takes into account the 1:3 conversion ratio.

pgizzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We convert a portion of our portfolio every year and I'd say that if you are purchasing just to convert, it would be difficult to justify financially because you'll need to purchase something from the developer and that will be pricey. However, if you want to go to KOR/KORN/Nanea and occasionally go somewhere else, I think the conversion can make sense. KOR or KORN convert to 240,000 MR points with a possible 10% bonus based on your status. Within the MR system, if you book 4 nights with points you get the 5th night free. So for 240,000 MR points, you can get a room that costs 30,000 points per night for 10 nights (8 using points, 2 free). We've done this a few times and stayed at places like the Westin Kyoto Japan as well as the Times Square Element for 10 nights. It's nice to have the flexibility.

I appreciate the detail and actual examples you site above. When you say that you convert a potion of the star options to star points does that have to do with owning a unit with the lock off feature?

How does that work in terms of converting a portion either to star points or to interval international or I guess a 3rd option is banking in vistana, correct? Thanks

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be redundant but if I have a resale mandatory week with star options they can not be converted to Marriott Reward Points?
Just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Thanks

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be redundant but if I have a resale mandatory week with star options they can not be converted to Marriott Reward Points?
Just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Thanks
Correct. Hence I am still not sure if OP realizes that buying a resale mandatory does not have the ability to convert to Marriott reward points.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
But is the 7,000 a Starpoint number and the 24,000 a Marriott point number? If so, the increase is roughly 14% when one takes into account the 1:3 conversion ratio.

Not sure on what you are saying unless it's that my 'money' devalued by 14% overnight when the switch happened. All I know is I had just over 7,000 points prior to the switch and enough to get a night in the hotel of my choice but that became just over 21,000 points after the switch and not enough :(

YYJMSP mentioned it's a wash but I've yet to see any of the Starwood hotels I've used in the past or intended using in the future where the new point value is below the 1:3 conversion ratio.