• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Hurricane closing's does RCI have any policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane closing's does RCI have any policy? Do they offer a refund, or a vacation certificate. For a week that was interrupted or a week that was closed, cancelled in advance. Points and or weeks plan, is there a method to apply or inquire? Thanks in advance

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The policy:
If RCI is prevented, hindered or delayed in the performance of any obligation to a Member (including, but not limited to, providing lodging or other accommodations) due to an Event of Force Majeure, then RCI shall be excused from further performance upon notice to the affected Member stating the reason for such nonperformance, without obligation to refund or return the Deposit used for the Confirmed Exchange or any amounts that were paid by the affected Member before such notice.

Still, you might call and ask for an exception to their cancellation penalties.
They're more likely to agree if you personally were affected by the storm.
We got relief from Hurricane Irma in 2017 becuz of damage to our house.

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
years ago we owned and had banked weeks from our Navarre Fl TS, which was later hit with a hurricane , months after having deposited them, Rci simply sent an email and removed our banked weeks. I believe later they added cut rate certificate for the # of weeks, which was pretty worthless, however it was at least the thought ... but it doesn't seem right they they are protected both directions.

as far as for insurance.. it seems if I am unable to go, or die or get sick, insurance may or may not cover ... however if the landlord cannot supply something which they have sold, and not the renters fault, well they should have the insurance

this is not a very big thing as things go, and not a real problem , but thought I would just ask, inquire.. Thanks for any input and thoughts... John

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
RCI - Policy they are happy they got your money. They will explain your contract specifically explains that loss of reservations due to acts of god are at your risk, which is why you should have travel insurance.

A couple years ago Expedia had issues and peeps made it on national news and eventual they reversed policy this one time and made people whole again. Expedia is a very active supplier of travel, however, RCI doesn’t exactly have many competitors people can jump ship to so your probably unlikely to get a positive resolution.

But the squeaky wheel is more likely to get oiled so make some noise and hope for the best.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I lost my Divi Little Bay week last year to Hurricane Irma. This was the email I received from RCI after the storm. The account is a RCI Points account:

“Dear RCI Member:
This is RCI contacting you to notify you that your upcoming vacation has been cancelled due to the recent severe weather. Unfortunately, your host resort is unable to accommodate guests during your travel dates. You may confirm and travel on another exchange by the original expiration date of the week or points used for this vacation. The transaction fee paid for this vacation can be used for rebooking within the next 30 days. When you are ready to start a search, please call us at 888-724-0671.”

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost my Divi Little Bay week last year to Hurricane Irma. This was the email I received from RCI after the storm. The account is a RCI Points account:

“Dear RCI Member:
This is RCI contacting you to notify you that your upcoming vacation has been cancelled due to the recent severe weather. Unfortunately, your host resort is unable to accommodate guests during your travel dates. You may confirm and travel on another exchange by the original expiration date of the week or points used for this vacation. The transaction fee paid for this vacation can be used for rebooking within the next 30 days. When you are ready to start a search, please call us at 888-724-0671.”

Thank you, very helpful

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
so just now on web site , I just asked RCI chat help if there was any policy by RCI.. they looked said yes.. both vacations canceled, points will be returned , took care of weeks TPU's returned, both accounts had a coupon credit to be used in the amount of the exchange fee, the points account ac had to be booked by 10/31.. travel anytime.

so no squeaking, whining.. RCI handles it well, quick and fast,, I would say total nice job with the exception of, I doubt anything would have occurred or been made aware of without inquiring

Thanks all WE/I don't give RCI credit often,but they get a 9 out of10 on this one from me

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
so just now on web site , I just asked RCI chat help if there was any policy by RCI.. they looked said yes.. both vacations canceled, points will be returned , took care of weeks TPU's returned, both accounts had a coupon credit to be used in the amount of the exchange fee, the points account ac had to be booked by 10/31.. travel anytime.

so no squeaking, whining.. RCI handles it well, quick and fast,, I would say total nice job with the exception of, I doubt anything would have occurred or been made aware of without inquiring

Thanks all WE/I don't give RCI credit often,but they get a 9 out of10 on this one from me
Pleasantly surprised!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had II tell me I should have bought insurance on a getaway they sold me closed due to hurricane damage. The insurance would only have covered about half the cost. So all their snotty lecturing is ridiculous. I don’t feel like $800 is a small amount. It’s a lot to me. Especially when I can see plenty of inventory that could have made me whole. I did get about half back. Won’t buy from RCI or II again. They are not honorable in my opinion. Yes they collect both ways!

General question since this is an old thread.
Was the resort closed already when you booked the getaway? Or did the closure happen after you booked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.