• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Staying at your home resort

volleyballmom

Reaction score
After two presentations at Elara (and one purchase but I was able to rescind thanks to this group) I'm looking into buying resale and I just want to confirm that you can stay wherever you want and you don't ever have to stay at your home resort. Your stays are strictly points and you don't have to stay where you buy if you don't want to?

While researching resale options I read this -

Home Resort Reservations
There are three types of reservations for HGVC owners. The first season is the Home Resort Season reservation period. This period gives priority to members to book the season and resort that they are deeded to. This means they must use a one-week vacation at their home resort during the season that they initially purchased. This season lasts from 12 months prior to the start of their home season and goes up until 9 months prior.

That confused me.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Home resort reservation is only applicable if you want to stay at your home resort during the time which you have deeded. That vacation can be booked 12 to 9 months out BUT you have to book 7days (1 week) normally sat-sat.

If you want to book you home resort but don’t wanna stay 7 days or wish to arrive Monday you have to wait until 9 months(276 days) when everyone else also have the option to book.

At 9 months points are points and it does not matter where they come from.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We’ve owned since 2002 and have stayed using our owned week in our home resort only once.
FWIW, home resort reservations are st your home resort in your season in the style unit you own. We own a 2 bedroom unit in platinum season at the LV Strip location so, we’d have to reserve a 2 bedroom unit in platinum season at the LV Strip resort. If we only wanted to use the one bedroom side or the studio portion, we have to wait for Club season booking like everyone else.
Lately we’ve been using points and booking 4 nights in a one bedroom a Grand Plus at Elera, then saving the remaining point to the next year. Eventually we need to spend more points due to not using all our yearly points. In those years we’ve gone to Hawaii.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Home resort reservation is only applicable if you want to stay at your home resort during the time which you have deeded. That vacation can be booked 12 to 9 months out BUT you have to book 7days (1 week) normally sat-sat.

If you want to book you home resort but don’t wanna stay 7 days or wish to arrive Monday you have to wait until 9 months(276 days) when everyone else also have the option to book.

At 9 months points are points and it does not matter where they come from.

Unless you are talking about the by Hilton Club. Those rules are different.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Since the OP is new to HGVC, let me clarify that BHC is By Hilton Club. This is a number of typically urban resorts that have their own set of rules. If you don't own at those resorts, you can not book there until 45 days before check out. These resorts include present and upcoming resorts in New York City, Washington D.C, Chicago and Charleston, VA. I believe there are also one or two Hawaiian resorts that have special rules.

volleyballmom

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information. I lost my ebay auction today so that will me more to learn about the program. I'm excited to purchase resale. Thanks again everyone.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I’m not talking about bHC but regular ordinary points.

Oh, I know. When I started looking at HGVC, I was very unsure on the differences between the two. Just keeping it clear.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first HGVC purchase was 1999 the Flamingo in Las Vegas. We still haven’t stayed there.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
After two presentations at Elara (and one purchase but I was able to rescind thanks to this group) I'm looking into buying resale and I just want to confirm that you can stay wherever you want and you don't ever have to stay at your home resort. Your stays are strictly points and you don't have to stay where you buy if you don't want to?

Here are the HGVC Booking Windows.
Point based bookings at non-home resorts occurs during the Club Reservation window.

47e3c9718ea2b0b3b4c978cfbba82f18.jpg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Nice graphic. Thanks Alwysonvac!

It's from the 2017 Club Member Guide.
I like that it clearly shows the departure from the standard Club Reservation Window for some HGVC resorts.

GT75 also added it to the sticky thread as well (link) :thumbup:

Last edited: