• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you do?

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Last June we booked an October 20th week at the Westin Cancun in an oceanside unit. I knew they were being converted into timeshares and the Vistana website also stated the construction would be complete by the end of August. I looked the other day and was shocked when I saw this hidden away under "Special Conditions":

Resort Renovations: Through October 2018
While we are nearing the end of the extensive, multimillion-dollar renovation on the resort, there will be ongoing renovation work in the following areas:

• El Palmar Restaurant and the surrounding triangular swimming pools. Sea & Stones Restaurant is affected due to its proximity to the triangular swimming pools.
  • Heavenly Spa by Westin™
  • WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio
  • Renovation to the sidewalks at the property’s main entrance

Additionally, the oceanside villas are closed to occupancy at varying times during the renovation project. When this occurs, Guests who have been confirmed into oceanside villas will be placed into lagoon-side villas. All other restaurants, pools and amenities, including the new FlowRider®, will remain open for Guests’ enjoyment.

During this time, construction areas will be fully surrounded by fencing and work will occur daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Guests should expect moderate noise during this time; all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum.

Thank you for your patience during this resort enhancement project. Please contact the resort for additional information.

So.... 2 restaurants, 1 pool, the Spa and Fitness Center plus construction noise...

We booked an oceanside studio and so not want to be on the lagoon side. And construction will start at 8am every day!! We booked Southwest airlines so I can use the airfare another time. I decided to cancel and asked Vistana to waive the $50 Cancellation fee because I would have never booked this under these circumstances. They would not do it so I haven't cancelled just yet. Does anyone know if I have any other recourse to have this fee waived? Possibly an email of a Supervisor? Thanks for any advice.

Carolyn

grab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call again and see if the rep on the phone will help you and if not I would ask to speak with a supervisor. I am sure they will waive the fee. If they don’t then ask them the same question on their Facebook page.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I would call again and see if the rep on the phone will help you and if not I would ask to speak with a supervisor. I am sure they will waive the fee. If they don’t then ask them the same question on their Facebook page.

Since visitor posts on a company's Facebook page tend to be hidden, I would also suggest Twitter @Vistana to get more widespread coverage. That's assuming OP has a Twitter account with some followers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you booked it with StarOptions, those will also be restricted since you are inside of 60 days.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Last June we booked an October 20th week at the Westin Cancun in an oceanside unit. I knew they were being converted into timeshares and the Vistana website also stated the construction would be complete by the end of August. I looked the other day and was shocked when I saw this hidden away under "Special Conditions":

Resort Renovations: Through October 2018
While we are nearing the end of the extensive, multimillion-dollar renovation on the resort, there will be ongoing renovation work in the following areas:

• El Palmar Restaurant and the surrounding triangular swimming pools. Sea & Stones Restaurant is affected due to its proximity to the triangular swimming pools.
  • Heavenly Spa by Westin™
  • WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio
  • Renovation to the sidewalks at the property’s main entrance

Additionally, the oceanside villas are closed to occupancy at varying times during the renovation project. When this occurs, Guests who have been confirmed into oceanside villas will be placed into lagoon-side villas. All other restaurants, pools and amenities, including the new FlowRider®, will remain open for Guests’ enjoyment.

During this time, construction areas will be fully surrounded by fencing and work will occur daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Guests should expect moderate noise during this time; all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum.

Thank you for your patience during this resort enhancement project. Please contact the resort for additional information.

So.... 2 restaurants, 1 pool, the Spa and Fitness Center plus construction noise...

We booked an oceanside studio and so not want to be on the lagoon side. And construction will start at 8am every day!! We booked Southwest airlines so I can use the airfare another time. I decided to cancel and asked Vistana to waive the $50 Cancellation fee because I would have never booked this under these circumstances. They would not do it so I haven't cancelled just yet. Does anyone know if I have any other recourse to have this fee waived? Possibly an email of a Supervisor? Thanks for any advice.

Carolyn
Are there openings at Lagunamar?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Were the "hidden conditions" in the original confirmation and you didn't see them until now? If so, I think you're out of luck. If you just got the notice, it seems unfair to get charged the $50 and have restrictions on your StarOptions if you cancel.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Were the "hidden conditions" in the original confirmation and you didn't see them until now? If so, I think you're out of luck. If you just got the notice, it seems unfair to get charged the $50 and have restrictions on your StarOptions if you cancel.

I read the "hidden conditions" prior to booking and it stated all renovations would be done by August 31.This was back in June when I booked. I just happened to look at it again and have a feeling every month they keep extending it. JMHO.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tough call. Unfortunately, construction timelines are notoriously optimistic, so your experience isn't so unusual. I feel your pain, though. I've had several vacations that included the sights, sounds, smells, and dust of construction, plus restricted access to amenities. Some of those vacations turned out fine, others not so much. Two weeks in an oceanview suite at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club with hammer drilling at the main pool right below us A-L-L.....D-A-Y.....L-O-N-G comes to mind! We spent a lot more time on the beach and had a great time, in spite of the construction.

TripAdvisor reviews on the Westin Cancun Resort and Spa (hotel and timeshare) for the last few weeks are all over the place. If you've been to Cancun before and have lots of outside activities planned, you'd probably be fine at the end of October. If you were planning on spending most of your time at the resort and/or this is a rare trip to Cancun for you, I'd just cancel. Losing $50 would be worth your peace of mind.

Last edited: