• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jaggar Museum Likely Closed For Good

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
A report from Hawaii Magazine indicates that the Jaggar Museum at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island very likely will never reopen, even though public access to the park itself is scheduled to reopen on September 22.

The reason is that--in the aftermath of all of the volcanic activity and accompanying earthquakes in the area over the past several months--the caldera upon which the museum is built has been deemed "extremely unstable". Unfortunately, the closure not only affects the museum but also the fantastic scenic overlook adjacent to the museum, which gave visitors a spectacular overview of the Kilauea Caldera.

Here is the article itself: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park's Jaggar Museum May Not Reopen.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am so sorry to hear this. This was always one of our "must do" stops when we would visit Volcano National Park. One year we were watching their "sensors" as a huge earthquake hit (and I don't remember where, it wasn't in the U.S.) Watching those needles jump was amazing.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I saw that pop up in my FB newsfeed. So sad. One of my favorite memories of our Hawaii trips was staying in Volcano to see the caldera at night. We drove up to the overlook at Jaggar about 9pm. The glow from the caldera seemed to go straight up to the sky, where it joined the Milky Way. It was one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. We tried to do it again in 2016 and had nothing but rain. I guess that for us it was a once in a lifetime experience. Here's a link to some images: https://www.google.com/search?ei=qY.....0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.JWB1nTsGem8

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sad to hear, but understandable. Given the changes to the crater this year, I don’t see how they could reopen it and guarantee visitor safety.

My first visit to VNP was in 1971, and in the many times I’ve visited since, it never failed to impress me. Madame Pele has my complete respect.

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Guess I waited too long.

So sad....

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I feel lucky we visited in May right before the eruptions. The day we were there the rangers had telescopes set up to view the caldera because the lava was right up to the top and spraying over. They were helping people take pictures through the scope.

All of them were very excited and expecting a blowout down below due to the amount of lava backing up. I don’t think anyone expected just how big it would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sad to hear, but understandable. Given the changes to the crater this year, I don’t see how they could reopen it and guarantee visitor safety.

My first visit to VNP was in 1971, and in the many times I’ve visited since, it never failed to impress me. Madame Pele has my complete respect.

Dave
I beat you Dave. My first visit was in 1968. We ate dinner at the restaurant in the Volcano House and could watch the caldera bubbling from the window.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You sure did! My folks sent me from Oahu to the Big Island for three days as my high school graduation present. (I was SO bored! I was 17 and all by myself. Couldn't drink, couldn't drive.... :)) I did a one-way tour from Hilo to Kona in one of those old eight-door taxi things they use to have everywhere. The stop at the VNP was so cool, I knew I had to keep coming back. And I have. It'll be interesting to see if they open something like Jagger someplace in the Park in the future.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You sure did! My folks sent me from Oahu to the Big Island for three days as my high school graduation present. (I was SO bored! I was 17 and all by myself. Couldn't drink, couldn't drive.... :)) I did a one-way tour from Hilo to Kona in one of those old eight-door taxi things they use to have everywhere. The stop at the VNP was so cool, I knew I had to keep coming back. And I have. It'll be interesting to see if they open something like Jagger someplace in the Park in the future.

Dave
Well, I am a little bit older than you I think. But the trip I was on was also for my graduation from high school, only the whole family went. We landed in Hilo and the taxi driver we had talked my dad into a personal tour later in the day. I remember being amazed by the flowers that were growing wild. He also took us to an orchid farm and then on to Volcano National Park.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, I am a little bit older than you I think. But the trip I was on was also for my graduation from high school, only the whole family went. We landed in Hilo and the taxi driver we had talked my dad into a personal tour later in the day. I remember being amazed by the flowers that were growing wild. He also took us to an orchid farm and then on to Volcano National Park.

I’ll bet it was the same tour, at least part of the way. We drove around Hilo, did Rainbow Falls, up to VNP, Thurston Lava Tube, the Punalu’u black sand beach, City of Refuge, then up to Kona. It was an all day thing for me. I remember it being cool riding in such a weird taxi.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I’ll bet it was the same tour, at least part of the way. We drove around Hilo, did Rainbow Falls, up to VNP, Thurston Lava Tube, the Punalu’u black sand beach, City of Refuge, then up to Kona. It was an all day thing for me. I remember it being cool riding in such a weird taxi.

Dave
Nope, different tour. We just did Hilo and then up to the Volcano House. However, the next day we did go to the Kohala Coast, to the ONLY hotel there at the time, the Mauna Kea. I'm sure we went by car, taxi, something like that, but I don't remember. My dad didn't rent a car on the Big Island. Mauna Kea was my first exposure to a beach in Hawaii, and it remains one of my favorites. I didn't realize how close we were to Kona until years later. We must have driven back to Hilo for the inter-island flight to whatever our next island was.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I didn't realize how close we were to Kona until years later. We must have driven back to Hilo for the inter-island flight to whatever our next island was.

The first time I flew out of Kona airport, the terminal was basically a shed on the tarmac. Parking was about twenty feet away. Very different now. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The first time I flew out of Kona airport, the terminal was basically a shed on the tarmac. Parking was about twenty feet away. Very different now. :)

Dave
The first time I remember flying into Kona was on our (dh and I) way to Maui back in 1986. At that time there must not have been a direct flight from the SF Bay Area. We had the choice of going through Honolulu or Kona. I thought Kona would be fun, since I'd never been there. Dh was appalled. It was his first ever trip to Hawaii and he thought the landscape looked scorched and like the craters of the moon. He wasn't far wrong. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dh just asked about Volcano House. Has anyone heard whether they have reopened, or are planning to?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Dh just asked about Volcano House. Has anyone heard whether they have reopened, or are planning to?

Should reopen when the visitor center does. No damage since its a long way from the Jaggar.

From their web site:

SEISMIC ACTIVITY AT KILAUEA VOLCANO
Volcano House and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will remain closed at least through October 14th to ensure the safety of our guests and park visitors due to the possibility of a steam event and ash fall at the summit of Kilauea Volcano. Both the park and our property will reopen once it is safe to do so.

https://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I missed that one. Now I'll just have to wait for Yellowstone to blow! KERBLOOIE!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Should reopen when the visitor center does. No damage since its a long way from the Jaggar.

From their web site:

SEISMIC ACTIVITY AT KILAUEA VOLCANO
Volcano House and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will remain closed at least through October 14th to ensure the safety of our guests and park visitors due to the possibility of a steam event and ash fall at the summit of Kilauea Volcano. Both the park and our property will reopen once it is safe to do so.

https://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/

Thanks. I did go to their website after I asked the question and saw they would reopen once it's safe. I know they are a distance from the Jaggar Museum, but they are still on the rim of the caldera.