• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying resale

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were going to buy resale where is the best place to buy and why? It is just for my husband and myself. I like the idea of Carlsbad Seapointe but I want to own HGVC. We live in So Cal. I'm thinking maybe vegas would be a better buy? How many points would you recommend we look for and why. It is just my husband and myself. Our only grandson is almost 5. We may like to bring other couples of family members occasionally but we mostly travel just the two of us.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I think we would need more info to help.

If you want to do multiple short stays then buying the cheapest maintenance fee, like Las Vegas, would serve you better.

If you have a resort you really like, plan on booking a week during home booking period and the resort is somewhat difficult to book then buying at that particular resort would be best.

For the number of points, you’ll need to figure out what season and whether studio, 1B, 2B or 3B. If you don’t plan on traveling every year you could start with smaller number of points and borrow to have a plenty of points every two years.

Whatever you buy it is recommended to buy platinum season. Platinum gets you more bang for your buck because the maintenance fees are the same regardless of season (1B silver has same fee as 1B platinum...but platinum gets you more points). One possibility, you could start with a 4800 platinum 1B resale. If you decide in a few years that 7000 points would be best you could likely easily sell the 4800 for hopefully what you paid for it. However many points you have, you’ll likely figure out a way to use them. It is also nice to have some extra points when you want to have a larger room to accommodate family.

I don’t think you can get Seapointe with HGVC resale anymore. You’ll have to pony up with retail dollars, which isn’t worth it, IMHO. I purchased Grand Pacific Palisades with HGVC resale before they changed the rules.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If you were going to buy resale where is the best place to buy and why? It is just for my husband and myself. I like the idea of Carlsbad Seapointe but I want to own HGVC. We live in So Cal. I'm thinking maybe vegas would be a better buy? How many points would you recommend we look for and why. It is just my husband and myself. Our only grandson is almost 5. We may like to bring other couples of family members occasionally but we mostly travel just the two of us.

With you living in So Cal, I would recommend either Vegas of MarBrisa in Carlsbad. I could be wrong, but I’m not sure you can activate HGVC on a Seapoint resale. I thought it was only MarBrisa. If you plan on using the California resort mostly, than MarBrisa would be your best bet. If you want to go to different HGVC resorts, I would suggest either The Boulevard, Paradise or The Flamingo in Vegas. The MF’s are a fair amount less than MarBrisa and, if I remember correctly, so is the activation fee.

As far as points go, it all depends on how many trips you and your husband want to take and if you you want to travel in peak season. When buying, I wouldn’t buy anything other than a platinum season. A platinum season timeshare will give you the most points for your money and would be easier to sell or give away than another season. If it’s just the two of you, a one bedroom, 4800 point unit would be the way to go. If you think you will be taking more people, or more trips per year, a two bedroom 7000 point would be great. Remember, for a fee, you can save a years worth of points to the next year. You can also borrow the next years points for free.

Good Luck!

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also my husband has worked for the same company so he has a lot of vacation. I'm thinking more points versus less. I was thinking if we could get a good deal on a platinum 2 bedroom and then we could use it for studio, 1 bedroom and if we want sometimes two bedroom... You help is greatly appreciated. We are entering a new phase in our life. We just put my mom on hospice and I'm not sure how long she has but once she is gone we want to travel more than we've been able to in the past basically we really have no ties to stop us any more. Kids grown and gone and both our parents will be gone too. Thinking about this next chapter is helping me to cope with the sadness I feel at the loss of my mom. Sorry I didn't mean to get so personal. Anyway just wanted to paint the picture. We love to travel internationally too and have both traveled quite a bit early on in our lives.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also my husband has worked for the same company so he has a lot of vacation. I'm thinking more points versus less. I was thinking if we could get a good deal on a platinum 2 bedroom and then we could use it for studio, 1 bedroom and if we want sometimes two bedroom... You help is greatly appreciated. We are entering a new phase in our life. We just put my mom on hospice and I'm not sure how long she has but once she is gone we want to travel more than we've been able to in the past basically we really have no ties to stop us any more. Kids grown and gone and both our parents will be gone too. Thinking about this next chapter is helping me to cope with the sadness I feel at the loss of my mom. Sorry I didn't mean to get so personal. Anyway just wanted to paint the picture. We love to travel internationally too and have both traveled quite a bit early on in our lives.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like using travel to help you cope is a great way to put something positive in your life.

As far as to where you should buy, I think Vegas would be your best bet. The Flamingo has no ROFR so you can find some very good deals. I am closing soon on a Flamingo 2 bedroom platinum purchase for $4500, one was just recently sold on TUG for $3900 and another earlier in the year went for $4000. The other two have ROFR (right of first refusal) so they may buy back anything that they think is a good deal. Boulevard and a Paradise Vegas 2 bedroom platinum units go for around $7000 or more.

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many points on the one you are paying $4500 and how much are your maintenance fees? This sounds like such a great deal. Where are you buying this from? Thanks so much!!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many points on the one you are paying $4500 and how much are your maintenance fees? This sounds like such a great deal. Where are you buying this from? Thanks so much!!

It’s a 7000 point unit with $1011 a year MF’s plus the $170 club dues. I’m buying through Redweek.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second (or third) the Flamingo 7000 point contract. May even want to get two of them eventually for the points. No ROFR, and the MFs across Vegas are mostly about the same, except for Trump, which is quite a bit more. These are very good for getting into other places. New York will be a challenge without By Hilton Club points, if that's a desired destination. But others have made it work at the reduced window.

We own W. 57th for our new York points. Then we have 2 5000 point Gold weeks at Flamingo. I got those before I really thought out the "same unit size pays same MFs and give more points in Platinum" idea. So the cost/point was better on the 5000, but MF/point are higher...and this matters more. Platinum is the way to go.

Cheers.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
If you have a resort you really like, plan on booking a week during home booking period and the resort is somewhat difficult to book then buying at that particular resort would be best.

@RX8, this may be a bit of a technical question, remind me... if @Judy Nagaoka (or I haha!) owned Platinum 1 bd HGVC in Las Vegas, for example, and decided she wanted to spend New Year's Eve there but didn't want to be there for a whole week... could she book the week during the home resort advantage period, use up her full allowance of points by doing so, and then cancel some of the days on the front and/or back end to get points back and use for another short stay at a different time and resort? Would this work? Or would one need to cancel and rebook the shorter reservation if one doesn't want to forfeit the points?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You cannot modify a H-W booking. It can only be cancelled.
If you cancel MT 30 days out, you get a full refund of points.
When you cancel, you can make a club booking for LT 7 nights.
If you do this online, there's a chance the dates may be taken.
So, you may want to call in, instead.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
could she book the week during the home resort advantage period, use up her full allowance of points by doing so, and then cancel some of the days on the front and/or back end to get points back and use for another short stay at a different time and resort? Would this work? Or would one need to cancel and rebook the shorter reservation if one doesn't want to forfeit the points?

You will need to cancel the Home Week reservation and rebook it as a changeable reservation (club week booking when less than 9 months but greater than 30 days). You can do this by calling CS (which will cost you a little more) or on-line (but there usually is a slight delay{5-15 minutes} in the inventory showing back up.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Las Vegas is a good choice if you just want points. Buying Seapointe direct will get you HGVC but it costs a lot. The benefits to owning Seapointe is that you can use it for day use and book nightly stays directly through them for cash.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
@RX8, this may be a bit of a technical question, remind me... if @Judy Nagaoka (or I haha!) owned Platinum 1 bd HGVC in Las Vegas, for example, and decided she wanted to spend New Year's Eve there but didn't want to be there for a whole week... could she book the week during the home resort advantage period, use up her full allowance of points by doing so, and then cancel some of the days on the front and/or back end to get points back and use for another short stay at a different time and resort? Would this work? Or would one need to cancel and rebook the shorter reservation if one doesn't want to forfeit the points?

You cant book NYE in Vegas unless you own that fixed week. Its an event week, sold as a fixed week. I imagine most owners use or rent the week since its such high demand like Times Square for NYE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
You can do this by calling CS (which will cost you a little more) or on-line...

@GT75, can you tell me the cost/penalty of each (is it just the standard booking a reservation fee on phone or online)? And can you confirm that if one did this no points would be lost (aside from the points required for the revised reservation, I mean, assuming one does this > 90 days out).

Also, @GT75 general question... does that mean that every reservation that needs to be modified requires a cancellation & rebooking? Or only these home resort reservations because they include the extra time advantage to book?

@SmithOp, do you mean that the platinum ownership example above does not include week 52 float booked 12 months out because these are sold separately?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
can you tell me the cost/penalty of each (is it just the standard booking a reservation fee on phone or online)? And can you confirm that if one did this no points would be lost (aside from the points required for the revised reservation, I mean, assuming one does this > 90 days out).

Standard booking fees ($65 online or $80 by phone). Correct, if you rebooked during club season for the exact same timeframe, it would be the same number of points.

does that mean that every reservation that needs to be modified requires a cancellation & rebooking? Or only these home resort reservations because they include the extra time advantage to book?

All club reservations now are always changeable so don't cancel them (unless that you now longer want the reservation) just change them (you can even move it to another resort). If you want to make the Home Week reservation either shorter or longer or move it, then it will need to be canceled. H-W reservations are always non-changeable.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@GT75, can you tell me the cost/penalty of each (is it just the standard booking a reservation fee on phone or online)? And can you confirm that if one did this no points would be lost (aside from the points required for the revised reservation, I mean, assuming one does this > 90 days out).

Also, @GT75 general question... does that mean that every reservation that needs to be modified requires a cancellation & rebooking? Or only these home resort reservations because they include the extra time advantage to book?

@SmithOp, do you mean that the platinum ownership example above does not include week 52 float booked 12 months out because these are sold separately?

The home week bookings are for a week long stay only and they don’t cost any money to book. They are “complimentary” so there is no need to change, just cancel and rebook for the time you want.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You cant book NYE in Vegas unless you own that fixed week. Its an event week, sold as a fixed week. I imagine most owners use or rent the week since its such high demand like Times Square for NYE.
While you may not be able to book your Home Week for NYE, there is not a problem booking a NYE reservation in Club Season (9 months out). As a matter of fact, I just checked and there is still availability for NYE right now in several room sizes at both Paradise and LV Strip locations (only 3.5 months out).

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Can you tell me the cost/penalty of each (is it just the standard booking a reservation fee on phone or online)?

Home Week Fee = '0' ... So cancellation = '0'. No point penalties unless w/in 30 days.
Club Booking = $65 (online) / $80 (phone). May modify w/o penalty up to 30 days out.
... Date changes must be within the same calendar year.
... A cancellation will cost you the booking fee.

Cancellation or changes LT 30 days out...
Various point penalties apply, unless a change uses the same or more points.
Workaround: Move the booking to MT 30 days out, then change or cancel.

... Can you confirm that if one did this no points would be lost (aside from the points required for the revised reservation, I mean, assuming one does this > 90 days out).

See above.

... Does that mean that every reservation that needs to be modified requires a cancellation & rebooking? Or only these home resort reservations because they include the extra time advantage to book?

"Club" bookings should be modified, not cancelled+rebooked, saving a new booking fee.

...Do you mean that the platinum ownership example above does not include week 52 float booked 12 months out because these are sold separately?

Some resorts sold weeks 51+52 as fixed "event" weeks (outside of seasons).

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
While you may not be able to book your Home Week for NYE, there is not a problem booking a NYE reservation in Club Season (9 months out). As a matter of fact, I just checked and there is still availability for NYE right now in several room sizes at both Paradise and LV Strip locations (only 3.5 months out).

Kurt

True, apparently those locations dont rent as well being off the main strip. Elara is sold out.

Vegas, Hawaii and NY have them marked as E event weeks.

60a32c71015cb5f79f90efe77835480a.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
True, apparently those locations dont rent as well being off the main strip. Elara is sold out.

Vegas, Hawaii and NY have them marked as E event weeks.
Correct, but just because they are event weeks, it does not mean that they sold all of the week 51 and 52 as fixed week deeds (at least this is what I was told one time). I have looked at Vegas NYE availability right at 9 months, and all of the locations have availability -- the more popular locations (Flamingo, Elara) book up first, however.

Kurt

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
@presley, can you expand on what "day use" means?
At Seapointe it is use of the common areas when you are not staying there. Owners can use the pools, fitness center, check out beach equipment whenever they want to. People who live close by do this instead of buying gym memberships.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At Seapointe it is use of the common areas when you are not staying there. Owners can use the pools, fitness center, check out beach equipment whenever they want to. People who live close by do this instead of buying gym memberships.

Did MarBrisa have that at one time?