• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you lose not buying directly from HGVC?

WJ2005

Reaction score
So we have been in Myrtle beach @ Ocean 22 and ended up going for the timeshare preview. We are interested but not for the price of $30k or whatever it is lol.

So I started looking and have found some for sale even ones not for MB for much much less and in some cases maybe 5-10% of what they want directly.

Going this route what do you end up losing? Also if you buy more then 1 can you combine the points into 1 account or no?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Points bought through resale don’t qualify for elite status. Many would say that it’s not worth the added cost of buying 14,000 points plus from HGVC. Here is a link to the elite benefits. That’s it. Resale owners get the same rights and benefits as any other member. They can book in the time frame, book the same rooms and get the same points. The points will all be in the same account.

WJ2005

Reaction score
So everything else is the same but you just don’t qualify for elite status with them... and that also goes with Hilton honors status?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So is elite status worth $25k+?

Perhaps...
If you must have a special key to your unit, a few meager discounts on fees,
and want to lord it over the non-elites (a/k/a unwashed masses).

The sales weasels will say that you won't get this or that -- none of it's true.
How do you know a TS salesperson is lying? ... Their lips are moving.

Aside from the Sales Division, HGVC treats it's owners well & resale owners just as well.
Their service-center is helpful+friendly, and system so flexible, it takes time to learning.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Going this route what do you end up losing?
No bonus points

if you buy more then 1 can you combine the points into 1 account or no?
Yes, but each unit has its own maintenance fees that are additive. In some cases, it makes more sense to buy one bigger (higher up-front cost but more points) unit with one MF.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So is elite status worth $25k+? Lol
Actually, by the time you purchase 14,000 points direct from HGVC (the minimum for the first level of Elite), then you have probably spent closer to $50K more vs. resale. And for that $50K, you get $10 off reservation fees and 10% off Open Season cash rentals (plus a few more perks, but nothing worth any real $$). Doesn't sound like a good ROI to me! LOL!

Now, before you call me a hypocrite after looking at my profile and seeing that I, indeed, do have Elite status, I actually bought all three of my weeks resale. There used to be some loopholes that allowed resales in certain circumstances to count toward Elite status, so I always say I have Elite by accident. While we do enjoy a few little perks, no way would I have ever spent even an extra $1K for Elite, IMO.

Kurt

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I don't live in US. So may not be meaningful enough. But I bought resale of 7,000 pt Flamingo in 2006 and have not yet visited Las Vegas.
Our son was 9 years old then. We had a family vacation in Hawaii almost every year until he became busy with his study. Last year, I went to Oahu with my wife, but mostly these several years, I am visiting the island by myself. Without HGVC, I could not afford a week stay in a SUITE ROOM for my solo vacation. This year and next year, some of the points have been spent for our son, who wants to go to Hawaii with his friends at University. I am managing to get two weeks of reservation a year by saving for future and booking gold season. The purchase of one resale HGVC week enriched our vacation over the years. That's for sure.

WJ2005

Reaction score
So another question... if you buy a ts for a location but want to use the points at a different one does it end up costing you more at that other location vs what a owner at that location spends (points)?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So another question... if you buy a ts for a location but want to use the points at a different one does it end up costing you more at that other location vs what a owner at that location spends (points)?

There is a $59 booking fee for any club booking. The thing is the only way you avoid that is if you reserve a full week in your home season and deeded unit. Even owners who book their home resort outside of their deeded unit size and season pay the fee.

WJ2005

Reaction score
There is a $59 booking fee for any club booking. The thing is the only way you avoid that is if you reserve a full week in your home season and deeded unit. Even owners who book their home resort outside of their deeded unit size and season pay the fee.
So other then fees the cost (number of points) is the same for an owner at that location & someone that is a owner at a different property

Last edited:

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
There are different reservation "windows". Your home resort gives you priority over non-owners at that resort. There are several layers of reservation windows, but bottom line, the owners at a particular resort have guaranteed, their deeded week, and if traded, better options at same resort, before other club members. So if you buy Las Vegas in July, finding a ski resort in December might not be so easy, but still possible.

Buying resale or not does not change your ability to make reservations.

https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/club-membership/membership-options

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Each location has a point chart. Some locations cost more points than others.

For example: In Orlando, some of the rooms at HGVC Parc Soleil have higher point requirements than HGVC SeaWorld and HGVC Tuscany resorts.

You can find the HGVC point charts here - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort
NOTE: The point chart are listed below the room descriptions.

5F938CA6-C42C-4B61-8B6F-65B6C0B39413.png

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So other then fees that cost (number of points) is the same for an owner at that location & someone that is a owner at a different property

Yes, it’s why many people purchase in Vegas. The maintenance fees are lower there so you pay less for your points. The 2018 MF’s at the Flamingo were $1011. The Las Vegas Boulevard MF’s were around $900. Some places were upwards of $1400 - $1500 a year. All for the same 7000 point, 2 bedroom platinum unit.

Now, if you want a specific week at a specific resort that’s hard to get, you may want the the home week reservation time (you can book 12 months ahead instead of 9 months). But otherwise, there really is no difference.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
better options at same resort, before other club members.

This is only true for "by Hilton Club" and isn't true for HGVC.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, by the time you purchase 14,000 points direct from HGVC (the minimum for the first level of Elite), then you have probably spent closer to $50K more vs. resale. And for that $50K, you get $10 off reservation fees and 10% off Open Season cash rentals (plus a few more perks, but nothing worth any real $$). Doesn't sound like a good ROI to me! LOL!

Now, before you call me a hypocrite after looking at my profile and seeing that I, indeed, do have Elite status, I actually bought all three of my weeks resale. There used to be some loopholes that allowed resales in certain circumstances to count toward Elite status, so I always say I have Elite by accident. While we do enjoy a few little perks, no way would I have ever spent even an extra $1K for Elite, IMO.

Kurt

I believe you still still can get elite status buying resale at Craigendarroach in Scotland. They are generally on the inexpensive side and presently have some of the lowest MF’s out there. The big issue is it fluctuates with the value of the Sterling Pound compared to the US Dollar.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...[T]he owners at a particular resort have guaranteed, their deeded week, and if traded, better options at same resort, before other club members...

Not eggsactly.
The exclusive Home-Week window is not a guarantee for a deeded-week.
Rather, it's a leg-up booking a similar unit in your season. HW's are limited.
It must be for one-week in the same season, size+type as what you own.

Booking a home resort in any other way does not give you better options
than other members who are also booking "club" reservations.

Also, you'll prolly never know where your deeded week is within the resort.
Deed #'s do not match the numbers on the door, only the size+type unit.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
brp

Are you saying you can save some huge dollars buying resell?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't own Hilton, but thank you for all of the information because I have considered it. I need to get rid of my Shell.

I talked to Seth Nock a bit about it years ago. I think it's a no-brainer to buy resale in almost all cases, but with Hilton, it seems to make so little difference, you should never, ever buy directly from Hilton.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
A lot of tears you would have shed once you realized what you could have purchased your interval for.