• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a $1 Ebay no fee timeshare legit?

Slwags

Reaction score
I see these all over Ebay with the seller paying all the fees. What’s the catch?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No catch, you may just have a very hard time trying to get rid of it later when you want to sell. You need to be careful and know what you are buying and know you really want it. These timeshares come with MFs forever, unless you can sell or give it to someone else. It may even require paying someone or prepaying MFs to get someone else to take it from you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are likely listed by 'upfront fee' outfits that have been paid by the timeshare's owners to 'get rid' of the TS. They are legit, but it's a 'buyer beware' situation. They may not be exactly as advertised. The week may be a 'mud week' or the unit may have a lovely view of the dumpsters. You should get an 'estoppel' letter from the resort in question (through the seller) that will outline the actual unit and week being sold. Knowing that those eBay auctions are spur-of-the-moment decisions, that makes it difficult to do your due-diligence. OTOH, on eBay, timeshare sales are NOT final, though backing out will not endear you to the sellers on future auctions.

It helps if you have some underlying understanding of timeshares, do your research on TUG to get to know the various resorts and their policies. For instance, knowing that at certain resorts and systems, you have 11- or 13 months ahead of use to put in your reservation for 'premium' (higher floor, better view, certain dates, etc.) reservations, and that at some, what you are buying is the use of a specific unit on a specific week and that is set in stone. That knowledge cuts through the fluff on auction sites and lets you concentrate on what TS does what you want for your family.

Sometimes, 'FREE' is too high a price to pay.

Joining TUG ($15 a year) unlocks the resort reviews for you, so you can compare one resort against another. Look in the yellow Support TUG link in the dark blue stripe at the top of this and every page to do that.

Knowledge makes you an informed consumer.

Jim

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
And it is important to do research before buying. While ownership gives you more flexibility it isn’t uncommon for these “free” weeks to have maintenance fees that are higher than the cost to stay by renting.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I see these all over Ebay with the seller paying all the fees. What’s the catch?
Where many ebay free weeks are undesirable, I have gotten a few for free that were very desirable. When I did I was thinking “didn’t anyone else see this”?

You need to learn the difference of what is desirable and what isn’t. It is best to own a week that can easily be given away by having a week others would want.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The shortest answer to your question is “Most of them.” But you need to get the whole story and make an informed decision.

The acquisition cost of a timeshare is not the primary concern when buying one. The ongoing costs of ownership are the maintenance fees, any special assessments, and the planned future of the facility. Those are more important than what you paid to buy it.

Sometimes people just want out, and they’ll pay the transfer costs to entice a buyer to take ownership. I’ve done that as a buyer maybe a dozen times on eBay, where the seller paid the fees. Then later, when it was time to be done with things, as seller I paid the fees, to quickly find the timeshare a new home.

Where you must be very careful is to ensure that what you’re buying is what you think it is. Once it’s in your name, it can be difficult to get it out of your name.

Dave

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Where many ebay free weeks are undesirable, I have gotten a few for free that were very desirable. When I did I was thinking “didn’t anyone else see this”?

You need to learn the difference of what is desirable and what isn’t. It is best to own a week that can easily be given away by having a week others would want.

Having been in the same situation, I like this response. If you are well versed on the timeshare in question, can use it a lot, see it advertised for $$ other places and was considering buying it anyway, it could be a bonanza. Sometimes others think "this is a scam" and let a great one get away. The same applies weeks that may be say thousands less but appear "scam" but if it is something you want, do your due diligence!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the cost is legit...meaning you can indeed own that timeshare for $1 if you win the auction. Deciding if that $1 is worth the purchase price is a whole nother matter!

Grats on discovering the resale market, its easily the best kept secret in the vacation industry!

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I have been to the resort. My brother/sister in law own two timeshares there that they paid full price for. Thought it would be nice to own one at same resort. They would be upset if I got it for a $1 lol.

Knock, knock.......is that opportunity at the door (but do consider the seasons)?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Timeshares are the one thing in Life you never really pay off. Your fees don’t stop until you find someone else to take it.

This doesn’t necessarily make it a bad thing, as long as you understand this. These cost normally never get lower and generally increase a bit faster than inflation. I would say 5% average increase in fees annually. At this rate your MF’s double in about 14.5 years

All said though a $1.00 Timeshare could also be very rewarding.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The value of TSs is the quality of the vacations and memories you and your family get from them. But getting what your bro's family paid Thou$and$ for, for a buck gives some quiet satisfaction!

Jim

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have bought 2 of these and they are legit. Like in anything there are some scammers but in general they are legit. As others have said sometimes a dollar is way overpriced. You are in the right place to learn how to spot those steals and avoid the dogs.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If you are nervous about the seller, use this community to get your information. Many of the eBay sellers have had discussions about them here. You can do a search on the forums or just ask if anybody’s day has had any interaction with them and would they recommend. If you are going to pose the question, I would use the Buying, Selling and Renting forum.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My famous phrase: "The devil is in the details"

Many eBay sights have timeshares for sale that are:
  • incorrectly described (size, location, season etc...)
  • inaccurately labeled (maintenance fees, closing costs, first use)
  • not as represented (fraudulent or unintentionally misrepresented)
Before buying on eBay, you should become an 'expert' on what you're looking for and what to expect. If you win a bid, don't send 1 red cent until you fully understand what you've potentially purchased and have some reasonable documentation of the property description (deed, estoppel, legal ownership description)

It's a minefield. Really, you should base your expectations on the reputation of the eBay seller. There are good ones and not-so-good ones.

доверяй, но проверяй
doveryay, no proveryay

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Before buying on eBay, you should become an 'expert' on what you're looking for and what to expect. If you win a bid, don't send 1 red cent until you fully understand what you've potentially purchased and have some reasonable documentation of the property description (deed, estoppel, legal ownership description)

It's a minefield. Really, you should base your expectations on the reputation of the eBay seller. There are good ones and not-so-good ones.

доверяй, но проверяй
doveryay, no proveryay

+1 ^^^. My personal favorite is eBay listings that show the wrong pictures. They describe a whatever-it-is timeshare for sale, and then show some extraordinary pictures - from some other location. It is so easy to mislead a novice buyer into thinking the fancier pictures are from the resort they're about to buy - only for them to find out later it's not even close to being the same place. Or they'll show pictures of a two-bedroom unit, when the auction is for a one-bedroom timeshare. It cannot be overstated: Due diligence is critical!

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
+1 ^^^. My personal favorite is eBay listings that show the wrong pictures. They describe a whatever-it-is timeshare for sale, and then show some extraordinary pictures - from some other location. It is so easy to mislead a novice buyer into thinking the fancier pictures are from the resort they're about to buy - only for them to find out later it's not even close to being the same place. Or they'll show pictures of a two-bedroom unit, when the auction is for a one-bedroom timeshare. It cannot be overstated: Due diligence is critical!

Dave

Exactly. I was checking on some WKORV listings recently:
  • Ad listing says WKORV
  • Picture is WKORV
  • MF is something like $26xx dollars (maybe WKORVN?)
  • Unit number is 52xxxxx (obviously bldg. 5)
  • Description clearly describes the joys of WKORV and the 'resort view' (no such thing)
I may have combined some items from more than one ad in the interest of humor....

but the point is: clueless seller, wrong info, probably not intentional.

That's on an ad with tons of information and some obvious clear indicators. Pick a somewhat obscure resort/ownership with less clear details and tons of variation between units, phases, points/weeks, float/fixed etc..... you get the picture.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

доверяй, но проверяй
doveryay, no proveryay

^^^^^ Good advice here. The best way to verify that the unit is as advertised is to request an estoppel from the seller. You can do this now or after you win the auction because real estate auctions on eBay are not binding anyway.

The estoppel -- a document prepared by the management company or HOA -- states the unit type, size, season, and whether fees are paid up. This is not title insurance (which is a waste on a $1 purchase) but rather a third party representation of exactly what it is that you would be buying. My purchases have all been resale and I get an estoppel every time.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
^^^^^ Good advice here. The best way to verify that the unit is as advertised is to request an estoppel from the seller. You can do this now or after you win the auction because real estate auctions on eBay are not binding anyway.

The estoppel -- a document prepared by the management company or HOA -- states the unit type, size, season, and whether fees are paid up. This is not title insurance (which is a waste on a $1 purchase) but rather a third party representation of exactly what it is that you would be buying. My purchases have all been resale and I get an estoppel every time.

I agree. And even then, it's not always right. I bought a 12K WorldMark account last Fall (2017) off eBay, and the estoppel said there was 12K credits available from 2017, and 12K credits available to borrow from 2018. So 24K credits available. I was fine with that. On closing, I discovered I also had the 12K credits from 2016 available as well, for a total of 36K credits. It was like getting a whole year's worth for free. Score! :)

Dave

deslagle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a $1 timeshare. I bid on ebay with a no reserve auction for over $100.
I bid the last 5 minutes and no one bid against me. I got it for $1 U.S.
We had just been there at Whistler, BC at the Northstar and
this was the Westin Whiski Jack 1 bedroom at the bottom of Whistler mountain ski hill.
I was tickled.
Turns out the owners were tired of trying to sell it and wanted to get out of maintenance fees.
They had children now and did not need it as they could not use it.

I got Raintree Vacation Club 50,000 points yearly in the deal and always used the points to go to Sedona, Park City and Birch Bay.
Eventually, That particular Whiski Jack got dropped by Raintree for lack of paying maintenance fees by others. (what we were told...sounded legitimate)
I was given a choice to use my timeshare annually or Westin would take it back; No more points.

I valued the Raintree Points and worked out a deal with Whisk Jack Northstar and they slid the contract to 50,000 points to Whiski Jack Northstar annually.

If I had lost the unit, there would be no problem. So what if I lost a "Buck" plus the transfer fees but got usage for 6-8 years for so little money.

The 2nd part of the story is that Wyndham/Worldmark is now buying up foreclosed units in some/many of the Raintree properties.
Birch Bay is now majority Worldmark and Park City Miners Club is not far behind it. The signs outside way Worldmark at the top and a little Raintree Vacation Club at the bottom.
I have always liked Raintree but dislike Wyndham hard core selling tactics.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you do your homework and know what you want $1 ebay deals can be finds. I will share.

I got a hgvc Plantation Beach Club on Hutchinson Island, beachfront, 1 br, week 52 fixed, worth 4800 points.

I got a Jade Tree on Myrtle Beach, 1 br 2 bath, beachfront spring week ( was looking for a 1 br for 2 years for a week I could use, lowest price $7000 I could find-ridiculous) for $1 plus I got $400 cash.

I got a Blue Ridge Village, Banner Elk, NC, prime late summer week.

In addition to eBay $1 (free) were found here on tug, red week and hoa sites that were just as good.

Tug - Hgvc Surf Club 2 br Marco Island December
Tug - Sunrise Bay Resort and Club Marco Island Christmas week
HOA - website 2 weeks in a row, same unit Chetola Blowing Rock, NC 1 br June rhododendrons season
Redweek - fall foliage prime week at Blue Ridge Village

There are more but I think this shows there are great things out there for free They also are all great traders in II, most having tdi of 150.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OA - website 2 weeks in a row, same unit Chetola Blowing Rock, NC 1 br June rhododendrons season

If you ever want to consider renting one of those weeks to a friendly TUGger, please feel free to send me a PM! I've heard great things about Chetola, but have never been. (I do have good family friends in Blowing Rock.) Also, I'm now starting to wonder if we live close to each other...

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
$1 is a little over priced.

I just won an auction at $0.01, for a summer week in Northern MI.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.