• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco members returning used snorkels and alcohol after vacations

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Interesting. I was told Hawaii Costco's had stopped allowing obvious abusive returns like that. Maybe things have changed? But note the main person speaking in the article is a customer at Costco, not an employee, and certainly not a Refund Clerk. He didn't comment how many of those people walked back out still carrying the items they were returning.

I know from what I've seen in my warehouse, each refund is handled as a separate thing, on a case-by-case basis. I've heard the Refund Clerk say, "I'm sorry, but you won't be getting a refund today" at times, and at other times they've refunded something that completely surprised me. (The nine-year-old rusted-out generator that had clearly been used outdoors comes to mind. I was told the customer was a HUGE shopper, and they did it to keep him as a satisfied customer. In the long run, it amortized out.)

Yes, the half bottles of Vodka and such are also returned. People do it a lot, and some of them have no moral character. The expensive cuts of meat that went unused, returned after a holiday, are what gripes me the most. The look of shock on the customer's face as the clerk turns and drops it in the garbage can always seems to get their attention. "Wait! If I'd known you were going to just throw it away, I would have kept it!" "Well, sorry, would YOU want to buy a piece of returned meat that had been sold to someone else, transported and stored in who-knows-what fashion, and then returned on a hot Summer day in 90-degree heat? I know I wouldn't!"

Costco is a good corporation, that tries to do right by their membership. As in all things, YMMV. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I personally know a woman who returned a 5-year old outdoor table and chairs set to Costco because one of the six chairs rusted. They gave her her money back. She was proud of it. I was appalled.

Or when they find a new set they like better. People used to do that with computers and TVs all the time. The newer, fancier, cheaper version came out, and suddenly there was a line of people waiting to return the old one that was perfectly good yesterday. :shrug:

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen a Costco member return a set of mattress that was dirty, and over seven (7) years old. Members service took those dirty, soil, old mattress. No question asked.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have seen a Costco member return a set of mattress that was dirty, and over seven (7) years old. Members service took those dirty, soil, old mattress. No question asked.

Or the dirty, sweat-stained clothing, with food stains down the front, and claiming, "It didn't fit right." Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: I could not do the job the Refund Clerks at Costco do. My mouth would get me in SO much trouble! LOL!

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Costco has flagged customers who abuse the return policy. That being said, they are very liberal on the return policy and let you return stuff that I think is clearly abuse of the policy. As a few posts above noted 5 year old lawn furniture and BBQs, 7 year old bedding, half a bottle of alcohol. All those examples seems abuse of the policy to me. However it is Costco's call not mine.

As far as snorkel equipment goes, you can't actually make sure the mask even fits until you take it out of the packaging. Since you don't do that in the store, I can understand snorkel equipment returns.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
As far as snorkel equipment goes, you can't actually make sure the mask even fits until you take it out of the packaging. Since you don't do that in the store, I can understand snorkel equipment returns.
But not after it's been used for a week or more.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

I was just trying to explain a valid reason for returning one. As I said I DO think people abuse the policy.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

I've never bought snorkel equipment at the maui costco. But if I did and it didn't fit, I wouldn't drive all the way back to Kahului during my Maui vacation to return it, I'd wait until I was going back for my return flight and near there anyway. YMMV, and I usually bring my own snorkel - that I bought at a Canadian costco :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've never bought snorkel equipment at the maui costco. But if I did and it didn't fit, I wouldn't drive all the way back to Kahului during my Maui vacation to return it, I'd wait until I was going back for my return flight and near there anyway. YMMV, and I usually bring my own snorkel - that I bought at a Canadian costco :)
There is a difference between waiting a week to return something you never used, and using something daily for a week and returning it.

I do realize there are valid reasons for returning snorkel equipment, but the article seemed to imply the returns were for those items that had definitely been used before being returned.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is a difference between waiting a week to return something you never used, and using something daily for a week and returning it.

I do realize there are valid reasons for returning snorkel equipment, but the article seemed to imply the returns were for those items that had definitely been used before being returned.
But who knows if the customer actually used it daily for a week or if it sat in their hotel or condo for that week?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just because someone wrote something on the internet doesn't make it true. How would you be able to tell if a snorkel had been used for a week or just tried once?

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, because some people have no shame, but it could also be legit returns and a reporter who needed a story and wanted something that would get clicks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What I got from the article was a wink and a nudge about how to enjoy using stuff during your Hawaii vacation, then dumping it before heading home. It was a rallying cry that says Costco is stupid for doing this, but hey, since they’ll take it back, why not? You have a conscience about what you’d do, and it’s up to you.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just because someone wrote something on the internet doesn't make it true. How would you be able to tell if a snorkel had been used for a week or just tried once?

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, because some people have no shame, but it could also be legit returns and a reporter who needed a story and wanted something that would get clicks.
Whatever.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
But who knows if the customer actually used it daily for a week or if it sat in their hotel or condo for that week?
And who knows if the half empty bottle of booze just "happened" to spill or it took them that long to realize it was bad, they didn't like it......................

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And who knows if the half empty bottle of booze just "happened" to spill or it took them that long to realize it was bad, they didn't like it......................

Or they drank it all and just put water in there. Who’s going to taste it? Not me.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or they drank it all and just put water in there. Who’s going to taste it? Not me.

Dave

Yeah, a half bottle of liquor is definitely not defensible. I guess I just try to assume the best about people.

That's actually probably a quality you need to be a return clerk at Costco. I wonder if the Maui location is hiring...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You cannot return alcohol - even unopened. Robin bought beer I didn’t want - they would not allow the return.

Edit: apparently some Costcos allow alcohol to be returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You cannot return alcohol - even unopened. Robin bought beer I didn’t want - they would not allow the return.

So... as mentioned - just because it on internet does not make it true.

I returned an unopened case of Corona beer to my warehouse a few weeks ago. I bought it to take to a party that was later cancelled. I got no challenge when I returned it. So maybe each warehouse sets their own rules?

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I returned an unopened case of Corona beer to my warehouse a few weeks ago. I bought it to take to a party that was later cancelled. I got no challenge when I returned it. So maybe each warehouse sets their own rules?

Dave

Possibly - this was unopened as well.
Returning open alcohol? Hard to believe.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Possibly - this was unopened as well.
Returning open alcohol? Hard to believe.

I believe someone might try to return open alcohol, not necessarily that the return would be accepted.

I worked long enough in retail management to have seen my fair share of returns.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I gain from the article and my fellow Tuggers posting. Is that you can return anything to Costco without a problem.