• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYC

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista EOY
Hello, I’m researching timeshare purchases and am curious about those in NYC. We live near Philadelphia, and travel to NYC about 2-3 times a year for long 3-4 day weekends for shopping, shows, etc. We are a family of 5 - kids are 12, 8, and 5 - so usually need a 2 BR or two smaller rooms. Although, my husband and I sometimes travel there alone. Does a NYC Hilton make sense for our family, given our regular visits to the city? Can you share info about NYC Hilton properties? About how many points would we need? If you buy at one property, can you also sometimes reserve another property? Can you get hotel points?

You thoughts and assistance are appreciated!

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
7AAF1DDC-2DAE-4A7F-BADC-B1DC82DEC7ED.png

Hi PhilaMom,

I used to own at West 57th and loved it, but it is tough if you have kids or need a bigger space. I now own at Hilton Club NY, mainly because of the 2bedrooms and definitely recommend it. Because it is a ‘club within a club’, only HCNY owners can book there, so you are not competing with all HGVC owners. This makes last minute trips easier to book. But you can use those same points to book elsewhere in NYC (West 57th, The Residences, and The Quin in the future), just within the 44 day window.

In terms of points, a full week in 2BR will run 10,000-14,000 points depending on the week. I attached a copy of the point chart. I have not stayed in the studios or 1br, but the 2br was very spacious with a large living space.

Cons would be the MF run a bit higher and they are older. They renovated floor 36 and will finish 37&38 by spring 2019. You don’t buy “room” types (studio, 1br, etc), but blocks of points. You can find decent resales - around $10-12k per 5000 points. There was an eBay Buy-it-Now for $9k last week for 5000 points - it expired but will pop up again. Hilton seems less interested in ROFR on HCNY than W57 with resale purchases.

Good luck!

Sean

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View attachment 8101
Hi PhilaMom,

I used to own at West 57th and loved it, but it is tough if you have kids or need a bigger space. I now own at Hilton Club NY, mainly because of the 2bedrooms and definitely recommend it. Because it is a ‘club within a club’, only HCNY owners can book there, so you are not competing with all HGVC owners. This makes last minute trips easier to book. But you can use those same points to book elsewhere in NYC (West 57th, The Residences, and The Quin in the future), just within the 44 day window.

In terms of points, a full week in 2BR will run 10,000-14,000 points depending on the week. I attached a copy of the point chart. I have not stayed in the studios or 1br, but the 2br was very spacious with a large living space.

Cons would be the MF run a bit higher and they are older. They renovated floor 36 and will finish 37&38 by spring 2019. You don’t buy “room” types (studio, 1br, etc), but blocks of points. You can find decent resales - around $10-12k per 5000 points. There was an eBay Buy-it-Now for $9k last week for 5000 points - it expired but will pop up again. Hilton seems less interested in ROFR on HCNY than W57 with resale purchases.

Good luck!

Sean
Thank you so much - that is very helpful! Just curious - can you use your points for anywhere in the HGVC system? Not sure that’s cost effective if we buy them to use in NYC. Do you know what the maintenance fees are per point? Thanks again.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Maintenance Fee/points ratio in NYC make using your NYC points elsewhere a bad bet, but yes, they are points. One of the stickies at the top of the forum has a list of MF's

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...intenance-fee-list.263776/page-4#post-2085680

The Hilton Club NYC - 5000 points
1 Bd - (1/6-1/26) - Moderator added

2018 Operating Fee $1,135.50 01/01/2018
2018 Reserve Fee $112.50 01/01/2018
2018 Real Estate Tax $168.50 01/01/2018
2018 Club Dues $290.00 01/01/2018
$1,706.50

Total w/o club dues: $1416.50 (Moderator Added)

28 cents per point - lowest is about 7 cents per point.

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you very much! This info is very helpful!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much - that is very helpful! Just curious - can you use your points for anywhere in the HGVC system? Not sure that’s cost effective if we buy them to use in NYC.

The last sentence is it. Yes, you can do so, but don't. Period. Buy cheapies elsewhere (Vegas) for the "rest of the system." Use NYC for NYC only.

Cheers.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last sentence is it. Yes, you can do so, but don't. Period. Buy cheapies elsewhere (Vegas) for the "rest of the system." Use NYC for NYC only.

Cheers.

Seriously considering purchasing for a timeshare for non-Orlando use mostly NYC. I often wind up staying cash rate at 57th anyway.

brp- I am curious as to how difficult it is to swap into an NYC property if the home resort is elsewhere? ex- I can only relate it to DVC experience- If someone were to try and use VB points at AKV value/concierge rooms it's technically possible but not at all probable.

-asking you because I recognize your signature from MO- your response seems to be the exact opposite of the typical DVC buy where you want to stay...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
For NYC I would recommend to buy if you want to stay there. Especially if you dont want to play 44 day room roulette - especially for more than 2 people or 1 studio, want consistent access to larger units, or may ever want more than 1 room to host friends, higher floor, or access to penthouse, or event weeks (New Years, Thanksgiving parade). You also will not get lounge access (free breakfast, evening drinks and appetizers - feeding a family in NYC can get expensive), free all inclusive reservations, hhonors gold status.

The type of unit in NYC matters less. You do not have to buy a more expensive 1 or 2 bedroom unit or penthouse to stay in these units because the resort reservation window is only open to owners and there is plenty of availability during this time. Very few owners use their home resort window to stay an entire week. We have owned a studio for 5 years and have never booked home resort but have easily upgraded to larger units and higher floors with a lower cost studio buy in and MF. You can bank or borrow points from a studio purchase if needed, stay shorter than a week or stay on weekdays to lower point burden.

Last edited:

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Can HCNY owners use - for instance - Las Vegas points - to supplement their HCNY points for booking at the club ? Or ***only*** HCNY points can be used to book at HCNY ?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
For NYC I would recommend to buy if you want to stay there. Especially if you dont want to play 44 day room roulette - especially for more than 2 people or 1 studio, want consistent access to larger units, or may ever want more than 1 room to host friends, higher floor, or access to penthouse, or event weeks (New Years, Thanksgiving parade). You also will not get lounge access (free breakfast, evening drinks and appetizers - feeding a family in NYC can get expensive), free all inclusive reservations, hhonors gold status.

The type of unit in NYC matters less. You do not have to buy a more expensive 1 or 2 bedroom unit or penthouse to stay in these units because the resort reservation window is only open to owners and there is plenty of availability during this time. Very few owners use their home resort window to stay an entire week. We have owned a studio for 5 years and have never booked home resort but have easily upgraded to larger units and higher floors with a lower cost studio buy in and MF. You can bank or borrow points from a studio purchase if needed, stay shorter than a week or stay on weekdays to lower point burden.

can you please explain what you mean by "44-day room roulette?"

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
can you please explain what you mean by "44-day room roulette?"
Unless you own in NYC, your reservation window is only 44 days out from your stay. By that time, there is only left-overs in the system and there is a good chance you would not be able to get the reservation you need. Owners can make their reservations up to a year in advance.

Kurt

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you own in NYC, your reservation window is only 44 days out from your stay. By that time, there is only left-overs in the system and there is a good chance you would not be able to get the reservation you need. Owners can make their reservations up to a year in advance.

Kurt

ok so if I am understanding correctly that means there is limited to no availability to trade in most of the year at 44 days out?

the reason I am asking twice this year already have booked w57 cash stay through aaa in under 60 days and looks like I will be traveling end of the month and possibly again before the end of the year... so odds are if I were to purchase elsewhere I would still be searching for cash stays?

and if i were to find a small available NYC re-sale contract would it be difficult to book under 90 days based availability?

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Can HCNY owners use - for instance - Las Vegas points - to supplement their HCNY points for booking at the club ? Or ***only*** HCNY points can be used to book at HCNY ?

For HCNY you can only use those points to book at “the club.” No bonus points either. Speaking from experience, you can have a boatload of club points or even bHC points but if you run short booking HCNY you will have to borrow next year points. Of course, you can use HCNY points any place else — there’s just no reciprocity. That makes HCNY points very valuable and the main reason why I purchased cheaper resorts resale to use those points elsewhere in the system.

Sean

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Best odds 90 days out in rank order:
  1. HCNY only owners but higher MF
  2. W57 44 days open to all, lower MF
  3. Residences 60 days open to bHC, 44 days all. Higher MF
Net: With residences you have only 30 day advantage. HCNY 90 day.and W57 in between but lower MF

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you explain the differences between HCNY and W 57th? Does W 57th have any capacity to sleep 5 people? Thanks sir all the information!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In order to sleep 5 at W57 you would need a studio and 1 bedroom (that can be traded into during home resort period.)

I'll let someone more familiar with HCNY ti describe how that would work

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Can you explain the differences between HCNY and W 57th? Does W 57th have any capacity to sleep 5 people? Thanks sir all the information!

I won’t rehash my earlier answer in the thread about HCNY and West 57th (pros & cons) but I own(ed) at both places and like them both. For five people you would definitely have to get a one bedroom and a studio at West 57th or two studios but it will be cramped. HCNY has a good inventory of two bedroom units. Each of those bedrooms has an en suite bathroom (one of the bathrooms is a ‘master’ with large tub and separate shower). There is a large living space with a pullout sofa. Six people would easily be accommodated in that space. Again, HCNY is older and not as ‘modern’ as W57, but they are renovating/updating over next year.

I do think that they will have two bedroom units at The Quinn. However I don’t think they will go on sale from developer until later 2019. It will very likely be pricey and maintenance fees will be quite high.

Good luck!

Sean

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think that they will have two bedroom units at The Quinn. However I don’t think they will go on sale from developer until later 2019. It will very likely be pricey and maintenance fees will be quite high.

Good luck!

Sean

I’d always wondered why new location almost always have higher MF compared to locations which is already operating.

The cost to operate the hotel should be roughly the same, and the funds set aside for future renovations should be around the same. But for some reason the MF are much higher. Take the residence and west 57 as an example

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
the reason I am asking twice this year already have booked w57 cash stay through aaa in under 60 days and looks like I will be traveling end of the month and possibly again before the end of the year... so odds are if I were to purchase elsewhere I would still be searching for cash stays?

What kind of rates have you been paying for cash stays at W. 57th?

Cheers.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I’d always wondered why new location almost always have higher MF compared to locations which is already operating.

The cost to operate the hotel should be roughly the same, and the funds set aside for future renovations should be around the same. But for some reason the MF are much higher. Take the residence and west 57 as an example

Yeah - I think HGVC is going to charge a lot for The Quin to recoup their $175 million investment on “billionaires row.” At my owner “update” in NYC in July, the sales person said don’t even think about the Quin because she heard maintenance fees are going to be very high. Looking at the The Quin website, it looks like a spectacular hotel that has been newly modernized and renovated just recently. It also has the Wayfarer restaurant and lounge. I’m definitely going to check it out when they start selling and perhaps parlay my HCNY ownership if it is appealing.

Sean

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I think HGVC is going to charge a lot for The Quin to recoup their $175 million investment on “billionaires row.” At my owner “update” in NYC in July, the sales person said don’t even think about the Quinn because she heard maintenance fees are going to be very high. Looking at the The Quin website, it looks like a spectacular hotel that has been newly modernized and renovated just recently. It also had the Wayfarer restaurant and lounge. I’m definitely going to check it out when they start selling and perhaps parlay my HCNY ownership if it is appealing.

Sean

One thing is the buyin price, which would be high so hgvc can recoup their costs but annual mf is not part of that cost.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

The Residences MF are high because they are trying to be high end with things like daily maid service.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Residences MF are high because they are trying to be high end with things like daily maid service.

Except that that's not high-end; it's invasive. When we say at places that have daily maid service, we keep out the DND (LUTFA, as we call it :)) sign 100% of the time. If this is an attempt at "high end," it's a Fail.

Cheers.