• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EBay Flamingo HGVC Purchase

msrobyn168

Reaction score
So, I decided to purchase a timeshare on ebay. The seller only had 36 reviews, but they were all positive. I purchased it on 7/25 and signed the contract 3 days later. Since then I've requested updates and they keep saying they're waiting on documents from the seller. They haven't been able to submit the ROFR without these documents from the seller. My question is, is it normal for it to take this long to even have anything submitted? Should I ask how long the seller has to submit docs before I can just look for another timeshare or should I keep waiting?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Have you given them any money yet ? I believe eBay deals are not binding for real estate, but you probably want to come to an agreement with the seller. Give them a week, and say if they don't have a signed sellers commitment, you consider the deal dead

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
FYI - Flamingo does not have ROFR.

msrobyn168

Reaction score
I know, that's why I chose that one. Lol They still have to send it in through the process though (according to them).

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use a escrow or closing agency and there is no need to worry. Split the cost with the seller for that. I would not send the seller anymore money unless it has been transferred to your name.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not inferring anything bad about this seller, i would just encourage everyone to also look at the details of the reviews on ebay. I think that the kind of reviews you are looking for are as a seller of timeshares. I walked away from listings where the seller had excellent reviews from buying random items and nothing concerning TS

msrobyn168

Reaction score
Use a escrow or closing agency and there is no need to worry. Split the cost with the seller for that. I would not send the seller anymore money unless it has been transferred to your name.

The seller on ebay isn't the seller of the timeshare. It is a company called GC Getaways and they have a closing department. The closing department is saying they are waiting on paperwork from the seller. :(

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
A couple things in most states 3rd party brokers and closing/escrow companies can not be same entity or financially tied. So if you do get ripped off I would file a complaint with your state real estate commission and the one the broker is in.

The problem with eBay sellers is many have know idea what they are doing or process involved with each TS type. Some are great others not. To compound issues most don’t have what they are selling and have agreed to get people out of a TS for a fee. Problem is once they find a winning bidder they have to wait on TS Company to issue transfer documents or estoppel. This can take up to 30 days - 4 months with some systems. Once they are issued the seller typically has to get them notarized and send back this takes time too. Many times buyer also has to sign.

So I wouldn’t worry yet, but nor would I bid with out asking some questions from the seller.

Feedback ratings for TS don’t really work on eBay. You only have a limited time after auction to leave it and that time normally always expires before it’s in your name. So only feedback you see are generally positive ones from people dumb enough to leave it before transactions complete. Or negative ones where seller says they no longer have it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So, I decided to purchase a timeshare on ebay. The seller only had 36 reviews, but they were all positive. I purchased it on 7/25 and signed the contract 3 days later. Since then I've requested updates and they keep saying they're waiting on documents from the seller. They haven't been able to submit the ROFR without these documents from the seller. My question is, is it normal for it to take this long to even have anything submitted? Should I ask how long the seller has to submit docs before I can just look for another timeshare or should I keep waiting?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I tried to find the listing, couldn’t. What is the exact name of the ebay seller? Did you put your payment on you credit card? I agree with breezez that it takes time, my eBay closings ranged from a month to as long as 8 month. The 8 month one was from a very reputable seller. What bothers me is the resort has no rofr, so is that a delay tactic or are they clueless?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, both the buyer and seller have paperwork to do. No matter how fast you are on your end, the counterparty can end up dawdling for a very long time.

My most recent Bay Club purchase (off of EBay) took under 30 days to close and show up on the Bay Club rolls. (Amazing!) Another one took 7 months to close, with the majority of the time being caused by a stand-off between the seller and the closing company over who was going to pay for 2 fees - one $50 and one $5! The closing company didn't bother to inform me of the situation until I threaten to given them a bad review. My response was "55 dollars?!!! Who do I make the checks out to? I'm not hanging fire for years over 55 dollars." I wrote the checks and it closed in a couple more weeks. . .

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is the resort has no rofr, so is that a delay tactic or are they clueless?

Neither. As noted above, this still has to go through the standard HGVC ROFR process. We have two Flamingo contracts, purchased from a very reputable Ts resale company, all went very well...and had to go through the 30-day ROFR process, even though HGVC can't exercise. That is on the up-and-up.

Cheers.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Neither. As noted above, this still has to go through the standard HGVC ROFR process. We have two Flamingo contracts, purchased from a very reputable Ts resale company, all went very well...and had to go through the 30-day ROFR process, even though HGVC can't exercise. That is on the up-and-up.

Cheers.
Ok, my confusion is that my affiliates had no rofr thus no 30 day waiting.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, my confusion is that my affiliates had no rofr thus no 30 day waiting.

Yeah, it makes only marginal sense that they do this. Inasmuch as having one process simplifies processing, I can see why they do this. Everything works the same way, and it's just the ROFR monkeys who need to know the details (rather than everyone). Looks silly on the surface, but I do get it.

Cheers,

Bruce

msrobyn168

Reaction score
Remember, both the buyer and seller have paperwork to do. No matter how fast you are on your end, the counterparty can end up dawdling for a very long time.

My most recent Bay Club purchase (off of EBay) took under 30 days to close and show up on the Bay Club rolls. (Amazing!) Another one took 7 months to close, with the majority of the time being caused by a stand-off between the seller and the closing company over who was going to pay for 2 fees - one $50 and one $5! The closing company didn't bother to inform me of the situation until I threaten to given them a bad review. My response was "55 dollars?!!! Who do I make the checks out to? I'm not hanging fire for years over 55 dollars." I wrote the checks and it closed in a couple more weeks. . .

Wow! Thanks for the info!

msrobyn168

Reaction score
I tried to find the listing, couldn’t. What is the exact name of the ebay seller? Did you put your payment on you credit card? I agree with breezez that it takes time, my eBay closings ranged from a month to as long as 8 month. The 8 month one was from a very reputable seller. What bothers me is the resort has no rofr, so is that a delay tactic or are they clueless?
I did put the payment on my credit card. They finally got everything back and have now submitted it for ROFR. It seems like I'm on track now! Purchased July 25th so in just a little over a month now.