• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park plans limited reopening

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park plans limited reopening
https://www.travelweekly.com/Hawaii-Travel/Hawaii-Volcanoes-National-Park-plans-limited-reopening

August 24, 2018 / Travel Weekly

“HONOLULU (AP) -- The National Park Service is planning to reopen sections of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park next month following the lull in activity from the Kilauea volcano.

The reopening date has been set for Sept. 22 after the May eruption prompted the Big Island park closure, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Thursday.

The U.S. Geological Survey downgraded the volcano's alert level to "watch" last week. It had maintained the "warning" level since May 3.

The pause in seismicity and other activity allowed staff to assess damages and repair water lines, park spokeswoman Jessica Ferracane said. While park hours upon reopening are expected to be limited, the Kilauea Visitor Center near the entrance will likely be among the areas, she said.

Officials are also looking for a possible viewing area for the public to be able to see the changes to Halemaumau Crater....”

C8ED03D6-2275-4DEB-93A7-E5CBED5D3863.jpeg

photo credit: arnottslodge.com

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Alright!

January here we come......I'd love to spend a night in a cabin up there. Maybe this will work out.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d book a Volcano Village rental for January - one with some heat, it’s cold up there at night in January.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can very highly recommend the Hale Ohia B&B in Volcano. A really amazing place, private and quiet, with very interesting accommodations. Very close to the Village (like "across the road" close.) www.haleohia.com.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Also if you are in the Military Reserves, National Guard, or Military Retired you can Book at KMC. It is ismthe Park.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Also if you are in the Military Reserves, National Guard, or Military Retired you can Book at KMC. It is ismthe Park.

I stayed at KMC three years ago, and it wasn't much. If you just need a bedroom, it's fine. If it's something you want to remember as a great part of your vacation, that's not it. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I recommend the Kileaua Lodge. If you have a larger party they have a couple of two bedroom cottages off site that are lovely. They do a wonderful complimentary breakfast for guests and their outstanding restaurant is open to the public. If you go there for dinner reservations are a must.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
At KMC we had a 2 Bedroom cottage with kitchen. It is not fancy but it is within Volcano National Park. That made it easy to due stuff late at night. Also within walking distance of cafeteria.

Reactions: LJT

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
At KMC we had a 2 Bedroom cottage with kitchen. It is not fancy but it is within Volcano National Park. That made it easy to due stuff late at night. Also within walking distance of cafeteria.

I'm sure that was nicer than what we had. We were in a three bedroom unit, but it was a tattered old motel room on the back of a building away from everything. I don't think I'd stay in that unit again. I agree, though, the relative location made it close to things, especially inside the Park. We wanted to see the evening glow from the Jagger Museum overlook, which is why we chose to stay there. Now that the overlook is gone, I'm not sure what there would be for folks to do at night. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Dave

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed a couple of times in VRBO units at Volcano, the village right outside the park. Volcano is only a few (less than 10) minutes away from the park by car. There are quite a variety of options to stay there, in many price ranges. Park access was very easy and all park activities were convenient to reach from the village. I liked the units I rented better than the rooms at both facilities inside the park. It was nice to have a refrigerator to keep food and make sandwiches for various excursions.

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also stayed at Hale Ohia twice though it has been many years since our last stay. I agree it is a very nice place to stay and convenient to The Park. Also another vote for Kileaua Lodge for dinner. I also have found memories of Thai, Thai in Volcano Village; however, they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews now. So perhaps it is no longer good.

--Jon

Last edited: