• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Crappy News From SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
By now, most of us have read or witnessed the truly alarming situation in San Francisco, where homeless people are literally turning parts of the city into a poopfest.

Now The Points Guy is reporting that taxi drivers are pooping and urinating in one of SFO's parking lots and creating a public health hazard. It is implied in the article that this is being done as a form of protest against Uber and Lyft, both of which are headquartered in San Francisco.

Already, at least one major convention has been canceled because of San Francisco's inability to effectively deal with this problem. Whether because of lack of political will or because of some other problem is debatable.

What is not debatable is that this is a gross and despicable problem and the city needs to handle it before its reputation for being one of the most beautiful cities in the world goes right down the toilet.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Last week the 10-2 shift on one of our Los Angeles talk radio stations was discussing the $70K jobs being offered in SF for scoopers of human poop. With benefits the compensation more than doubled. Conversation surrounded how much money the hosts and the various engineers and producers who were chiming in would need to scoop poop all day. General consensus was that $70-80K was a good number, except that they couldn't afford to live where they worked due to home and rental values in the Bay Area.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I keep hearing about this on the radio. Just awful. I was telling my son about it, as he travels there sometimes for work and he says he hasn't seen any of this. Must be in certain areas of the city that he just hasn't been to I suppose.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep hearing about this on the radio. Just awful. I was telling my son about it, as he travels there sometimes for work and he says he hasn't seen any of this. Must be in certain areas of the city that he just hasn't been to I suppose.
I have not noticed the problem in the Financial District or in the Presidio area. However, it's a huge problem at Union Square (a major tourist area) and the surrounding area as well as the Haight District and South Of Market district.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
South of Market was where the radio folk were talking about. The Worldmark timeshare in SF is in a location near Chinatown that has a street running below it. We were last there three years ago and Cliff was wondering why it had been ten years since the previous visit. All I had to do was wrinkle my nose and make a face before responding and he remembered -- never again will we walk down those stairs to the street below. The stairwell was being used as a toilet, and that was 13 years ago.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Last week the 10-2 shift on one of our Los Angeles talk radio stations was discussing the $70K jobs being offered in SF for scoopers of human poop. With benefits the compensation more than doubled. Conversation surrounded how much money the hosts and the various engineers and producers who were chiming in would need to scoop poop all day. General consensus was that $70-80K was a good number, except that they couldn't afford to live where they worked due to home and rental values in the Bay Area.
The California way. Use other people's money to clean other people's poop.

This place is nutty but the weather's great!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
....California........tumbles into the sea......
....That'll be the day I go back to Annandale....

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our younger dd isin San Francisco right now, staying on Union Square. She said the streets are quite clean.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Interesting that it seems okay to bash SF and Calif. -
Yet... if similar stuff was said about other cities/states there would be an outcry.

Want some examples?
There are 100s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yet... if similar stuff was said about other cities/states there would be an outcry.

Want some examples?
There are 100s

It gets tiring sometimes. After all, this is our *home*. I would never bash the place where someone else has chosen to live. That said, I have to say that this situation is pretty awful.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It gets tiring sometimes. After all, this is our *home*. I would never bash the place where someone else has chosen to live. That said, I have to say that this situation is pretty awful.
I know the feeling. Years ago when I lived full time in NYC we had the same problem. Then we got a new mayor ( didn’t name him as I don’t want anyone to say I made this political) and the city was revitalized and cleaned up. Now I am beginning to see the problem starting again. Sometimes the smells are horrible. I can’t understand how wonderful cities allow this to happen.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's sad. Particularly subway stations reek from urinating in NYC.

I have seen some human fecal matter. However not to the degree described about the problem in SF.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometiimes a homeless person enters a subway car and the malodorous stench is so repulsive everyone abandons the car. Then you get a nasty surprise at the next stop at rush hour. You think that it's a miracle when you can get a seat in an air conditioning car. But NO.... You fall over from the putrid smell.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another one for NYC Subway. Use to work in Midtown a few stops norrth of Penn Station to catch the LIRR.

Just like I described above get on the train to the few stops south to Penn. The odor was so bad and too late to escape before the doors closed. Of course it was a packed car standing room only. The only relief from the odor was to open front door between the cars and catch the breeze from the passing air. It was terrible.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Most big cities have a homeless problem. It is up to us as citizens to help solve it!

Unless Citizens demand the elected leadership solve the problem or elect persons who will solve it, there’s little Citizens can do. It can be done as Panina noted.

I know the feeling. Years ago when I lived full time in NYC we had the same problem. Then we got a new mayor ( didn’t name him as I don’t want anyone to say I made this political) and the city was revitalized and cleaned up. Now I am beginning to see the problem starting again. Sometimes the smells are horrible. I can’t understand how wonderful cities allow this to happen.

Cheers

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another plug for NYC..

So NY has a bottle deposit on soda cans and bottles. Nickel each. You can take your used bottles, cans back and get your nickels.

I have occasionally collected my used beverage containers to get my deposit back.

When you go to the recycling machine there are people there with shopping carts with filled with bags saddlled with used containers that have been collected from scouring the neighborhood for miles. No joke. You can see this in all areas of the metro area. These poor folks are scraping by on nickels collected from beer and soda cans.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Want some examples?
There are 100s

I guess you're accusing me of doing the "bashing". Personally, I love San Francisco, and include its iconic Golden Gate Bridge as my avatar here on TUG. I have many fond memories of times spent with our kids, my bride of 38 years, and as a kid myself. (My dad took me to my first SF Giants game when I was 5 and I got to see Willie Mays hit two home runs that day.)

I'm also a 4th generation native Californian, so this is my home as well as yours. My family has a long history here, and I'm grateful for the legacy and for the wonderful climate and matchless soils and natural resources that God placed in this beautiful state of ours which allows me, my brothers, and now one of our sons to make our livelihoods by living close to the land.

So no--I'm not "bashing".

But when a beautiful city is managed in such a way that it tolerates the conditions which lead to the situation I am criticizing, it's no time to put one's head in the sand and wish it wasn't happening. We had friends from Georgia come visit us last month, and one of their dreams was to spend a few days in San Francisco. I didn't tell them about the reports I'd heard related to this subject, because I hoped they'd do the usual tourist-y things and just enjoy themselves. Unfortunately, they observed--on multiple episodes in multiple locations in the city--exactly the kind of thing I called out in this post. So this is not something that's being overblown by social media or those who just wish to "bash" San Francisco and California.

It's a real issue, a real problem, a real public health hazard, and a real shame. And those who manage the city that I love should be ashamed, because this kind of thing is entirely avoidable.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
And it's also true that non homeless people are defecating on rental bikes because they don't like them. All part of an emerging belief system that if someone says or does something you you don't like, you have the right to shut them up and destroy property to stop them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time we were in NYC was 18 months ago and it was smelly and dirty and we decided not to return. It is unfortunate because that experience was different from the 2 times when we were there previously. We have not been back to San Francisco for about 10 years and have no desire to return. We still have good memories of San Francisco from before.

I believe the only way to address the homeless problem is to go back to the old days of having mental institutions where they stay and get treatment. Many of the homeless folks have mental health issues and leaving them live out in the society creates a problem for all. They are not able to work and they don't have the money to pay for lodging and food.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
After 55 yrs born and raised in NYC.... Yes I am getting down on this place. Time has come and I am in the process of moving on.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Nope - just a general observation.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In spite of the fact that some don't like these kinds of posts, the crappy news out of San Francisco just keeps coming. This article from The New York Times describes a pretty horrific situation. And while the article focuses on the city's Tenderloin District, the reader comments attached to the article emphasise that the issue persists in other sections of the city, including the Civic Center area which is the heart of the city's government offices, the Castro District, and even the well-heeled Marina District.

00dirtystreets-02-facebookJumbo.jpg

I'll re-state that I am not a "basher" of San Francisco. It's a beautiful city. But there is no excuse for this situation to persist in one of the wealthiest cities in the world. It's disgusting. It has already led to cancellations of some business conventions.

San Francisco's tolerance for everything--including drug dealers who prey on addicts who then urinate and defecate and leave dirty needles on streets and sidewalks--is backfiring. The problem is out of control, and demands a solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.