• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Regretting my purchase

Mowgli4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc
any help. I missed the rescission period on a recent hgvc purchase. Based on all negative reviews I’ve seen upon signing, in now scared that we won’t truly enjoy or be able to maximize our purchase. Two questions:
A) does anyone have any positive experiences with HGVC
B) if I’m not feeling good 3 weeks into this, should I seek a way out even if it costs money?
C) is there merit to staying in this is there any value or does everyone just get taken for a ride?
D) is there any way out at this point (it’s three weeks old)

Please advise. I’m very appreciative of anyone’s input.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
any help. I missed the rescission period on a recent hgvc purchase. Based on all negative reviews I’ve seen upon signing, in now scared that we won’t truly enjoy or be able to maximize our purchase. Two questions:
B) if I’m not feeling good 3 weeks into this, should I seek a way out even if it costs money?
C) is there merit to staying in this is there any value or does everyone just get taken for a ride?

Welcome to tug.

Unfortunately you signed a contract and missed the recession period to get out of it. Your only option would be to default and they could come after you and you can get a hit on your credit rating. Do not hire and pay anyone to get you out of it. They will only take your money and you will still own it.

Many of us here on tug, including myself, purchased our first timeshare from the developer at full price. Then we found tug and purchased the rest resale.

I own Hgvc and love the system. You should stick around tug and learn all about hgvc so you can utilize your purchase in the best way possible. Look forward, use it and enjoy it. There are some wonderful places you can go.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fully half of TUGgers bought their first TS from the developer, just like you. Yes, you paid more than you might have it you'd discovered us first. Don't cry over spilled milk. You're is one of the top systems, with beautiful resorts. My best tip is to actually join TUG- it's $15 a year and will show you reviews of thousands of resorts worldwide, and help you get the most enjoyment from your purchase. Follow the yellow 'Support TUG' link in the dark blue stripe at the top of this page.

Welcome to TUG. We hope you wan won't be a stranger here. Some of what the salespeople may have been exaggerated, maybe they even lied, but something they said got you to buy. You missed the chance to rescind, so learn to use and enjoy what you have. Most of us own several weeks and wouldn't trade the travels and memories they provide with anyone!

Jim

Last edited:

Mowgli4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc
Welcome to tug.

Unfortunately you signed a contract and missed the recession period to get out of it. Your only option would be to default and they could come after you and you can get a hit on your credit rating. Do not hire and pay anyone to get you out of it. They will only take your money and you will still own it.

Many of us here on tug, including myself, purchased our first timeshare from the developer at full price. Then we found tug and purchased the rest resale.

I own Hgvc and love the system. You should stick around tug and learn all about hgvc so you can utilize your purchase in the best way possible. Look forward, use it and enjoy it. There are some wonderful places you can go.

Thank you for helping me off the ledge. Any thoughts on best resource /link to familiarize myself w points/ how to use etc?

Thanks again.

Mowgli4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc
Welcome to tug.

Thank you very much for your input. This site seems like a great resource. I’m reading through a lot of threads. Anyone develop an algorithm yet to automatically ensure points don’t lapse and you get full advantage of this.... my god it seems like a workshop and a tutor is needed to help w the learning curve.

Thanks again for taking time

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you very much for your input. This site seems like a great resource. I’m reading through a lot of threads. Anyone develop an algorithm yet to automatically ensure points don’t lapse and you get full advantage of this.... my god it seems like a workshop and a tutor is needed to help w the learning curve.

Thanks again for taking time

Dive into the HGVC Forum. The regulars over there will give great advice on how best to maximize your ownership. One other piece of advice: spend the $15 on a TUG membership. It gives you access to the Tug member reviews. They are some of the most comprehensive reviews on the web.

Good luck and hope to see you over on the HGVC forums!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dive into the HGVC Forum. The regulars over there will give great advice on how best to maximize your ownership. One other piece of advice: spend the $15 on a TUG membership. It gives you access to the Tug member reviews. They are some of the most comprehensive reviews on the web.

Good luck and hope to see you over on the HGVC forums!
I agree get a membership and next year when you renew it can be for free if you write reviews.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Welcome to TUG.

I will also add that you can ask specific questions in the HGVC TUG forum. Everyone in the forum is willing to give excellent advice on how to utilize their HGVC TS.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
And I'll add this: (NOT specific to HGVC)

Welcome
Here's the important facts and my viewpoint:
  • Everybody wishes they got something cheaper than they actually did: Buying a car, sale on groceries, housing market, apple stock....you name it.
  • What got you to this point is something good: Wanting to spend quality time with family and/or friends in a great place and a high quality room (but much more than a room!)
  • Everything you thought was good/great....is still there. Yeah, you paid a little more, but now it's TWICE as important that you learn how to maximize your use and enjoyment. There are people out there that own timeshares AND NEVER USE THEM! That's a crime. Don't be a 'vacation criminal.'
  • HGVC is a very high quality organization. Great program, great facilities, lots of opportunities. When people talk about 'lousy rip-off timeshares...' they are seldom talking about Hilton.
As other have posted....Learn to maximize what you own. Learn how to extend and enhance your vacations. Yes, there are many tricks, nuances and 'expert ideas...' but the HGVC-savvy TUGGER's will help you at every step of the way. It's a great place for advice and education.

Start by reading the 'newbie' stuff. Especially anything related to HGVC. You may think you know what you bought.....but that is often not the case. Start from the basics and work your way up. Also, learn about opportunities to exchange your timeshare....both internally and externally. Most critically......start planning ahead. The key to maximizing your vacation dollars is to plan ahead, know your windows of opportunity (for making reservations etc...) and your deadlines to use or manipulate your points.

Owning a timeshare sort of 'forces' you to take the vacations you work for and deserve. It's too easy to bypass a quality vacation otherwise...ask me how I know. Once you've stayed in a fully-stocked, 3-5* timeshare with the amenities and extra space....quality staff and the great satisfaction of knowing what to expect from Hilton..... you'll understand why you bought.

The timeshare cost a pretty penny....we know
But the memories and quality time you'll spend with family/friends--year after year--well, that's priceless.

Cheers.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Welcome
  • Everybody wishes they got something cheaper than they actually did: Buying a car, sale on groceries, housing market, apple stock....you name it.
  • What got you to this point is something good: Wanting to spend quality time with family and/or friends in a great place and a high quality room (but much more than a room!)
  • Everything you thought was good/great....is still there. Yeah, you paid a little more, but now it's TWICE as important that you learn how to maximize your use and enjoyment. There are people out there that own timeshares AND NEVER USE THEM! That's a crime. Don't be a 'vacation criminal.'
  • HGVC is a very high quality organization. Great program, great facilities, lots of opportunities. When people talk about 'lousy rip-off timeshares...' they are seldom talking about Hilton.
As other have posted....Learn to maximize what you own. Learn how to extend and enhance your vacations. Yes, there are many tricks, nuances and 'expert ideas...' but the HGVC-savvy TUGGER's will help you at every step of the way. It's a great place for advice and education.

Start by reading the 'newbie' stuff. Especially anything related to HGVC. You may think you know what you bought.....but that is often not the case. Start from the basics and work your way up. Also, learn about opportunities to exchange your timeshare....both internally and externally. Most critically......start planning ahead. The key to maximizing your vacation dollars is to plan ahead, know your windows of opportunity (for making reservations etc...) and your deadlines to use or manipulate your points.

Owning a timeshare sort of 'forces' you to take the vacations you work for and deserve. It's too easy to bypass a quality vacation otherwise...ask me how I know. Once you've stayed in a fully-stocked, 3-5* timeshare with the amenities and extra space....quality staff and the great satisfaction of knowing what to expect from Hilton..... you'll understand why you bought.

But the memories and quality time you'll spend with family/friends--year after year--well, that's priceless.

Cheers.
I second this, Cheers!

Mowgli4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc
Can’t thank you enough for your input. Very appreciative. You’ll be heading from me in the appropriate forums with questions as they arise.

Take care

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Welcome

Cheers.

Tater, great explanation! You have described why we are buying Hilton.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Think of it this way too, in order to have a resale timeshare available for sale, someone had to buy it from he developer. So now you have gotten your feet wet. Try it, love it, and if you do add more points to your account do it via the resale market. Resale averaged in together with your developer purchase, it won't be so bad.

Not sure where you purchased or how many points you purchased. It is always BEST to own a Platinum week as the MF $ per point will end up being the cheapest. Look at locations, Vegas has cheapest MFs, compared to Hawaii or NYC.

Need to stretch your points further, stay Monday to Thursday night, as Fri to Sun nights are double the points (and thus the $) from a midweek night. It all depends on where and when you want to travel.

Enjoy your investment in vacations and spending "priceless" time with your family and friends.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
As @Passepartout stated, the majority of Tuggers bought our first timeshare from the developer (myself included). I am now very thankful that it was with HGVC and feel fortunate that we happened to purchase a desirable unit that has some unique value (by Hilton Club) and has a MF that is not too bad compared to other TS properties.

I sometimes kick myself for having overpaid (we did not find TUG in time), but we did not want to be scammed and recognized that "we did not know what we did not know" so opted for the developer purchase. HGVC is one of the best systems out there and they are a class act in terms of the product and fairness in the way they treat their owners. No worries. You will have full access to whatever you purchased and you have lots of options to maximize it.

In hindsight the developer purchase was not that much money in the scheme of things. We also discovered some unique benefits that our property provides to stretch our return on investment that we were unaware of when we initially purchased (thanks to Tuggers.)

Most importantly, we accumulated priceless memories with family. We received a ton of bonus points and value from VIP packages that we used for several years to visit places like Italy, Hawaii oceanfront and NYC. This would not have happened if we hadn't made that initial developer purchase. We liked timesharing so much that we added 2 resale units to our portfolio after lots of research on TUG.

Welcome to TUG. Please feel free to ask any questions on the HGVC forum. Tuggers love to help others to maximize their purchase.

Last edited:

applepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts US Collection
I love the positivity of this post. It is very encouraging and helps point out how most people have learned very valuable lessons. Once the money has been spent, it's important to make the best of it and chalk it up to an expensive lesson. People on this forum have been so amazing and have provided so much wonderful guidance in how to vacation. Membership is worth every penny.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

@Mowgli4 - I really don't have anything of substance to add here, but I can offer this thought - start planning your next vacation today and you'll feel better!

Everyone on here will help out - we all have ideas and opinions! Some of them are actually useful! :D:D:D:D

As Panina mentioned, one of the best ways to help out is by writing reviews of your stays. Take a few moments to read through some of the existing reviews and you'll quickly see the level of detail the better reviews can offer.

And perhaps every now and then, we'll bring a smile to your face!

Last edited: