• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Luxury card

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for the new card. I usually pay Vistana maintenance fees on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and receive 3x points. Can anyone confirm if the new SPG Amex will give 6x marriot points on Vistana maintenance fees?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for the new card. I usually pay Vistana maintenance fees on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and receive 3x points. Can anyone confirm if the new SPG Amex will give 6x marriot points on Vistana maintenance fees?
I am thinking about signing up but most of the benefits overlap with many CCs I already have and that is stopping me. I would probably use the $300 credit and the free night, I guess that should more than cover the AF.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree- the new card could be better. We have enough room charges every year that I was not worried about using the $300 credit and after that, it is $150 with a better free night certificate than the old card. It was not a slam dunk decision but not too hard to justify either.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just signed up my wife and I for the luxury card for the 200k bonus. Remember, if you have the chase spg visa card,you have to get the card by 8/25 to qualify for the 100k bonus. Come 8/26 you will not get the bonus if you already have a chase marriott visa.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

No one can confirm the SPG Amex Luxury card will earn 6X Marriott Points for Vistana maintenance fees since the card is new. I do know that I prepaid a small amount of Vistana MFs on August 1 with my current SPG Amex and I received 6X Marriott Points for the transaction. I can't imagine that the new card would pay differently.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Just signed up my wife and I for the luxury card for the 200k bonus. Remember, if you have the chase spg visa card,you have to get the card by 8/25 to qualify for the 100k bonus. Come 8/26 you will not get the bonus if you already have a chase marriott visa.
200K or 100K? Did you add a user or apply separately?
Also I did not see the 100K bonus on the "Upgrade" info??

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
200K or 100K? Did you add a user or apply separately?
Also I did not see the 100K bonus on the "Upgrade" info??
It was 100k for each of us. Did not upgrade as our regular spg amex is like your offer, with no bonus or smaller than 100k. So since we did not get offered the full 100k for upgrade, we each appplied for a new account and got 100k bonus as long as we spend $5k in 3 months.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
It was 100k for each of us. Did not upgrade as our regular spg amex is like your offer, with no bonus or smaller than 100k. So since we did not get offered the full 100k for upgrade, we each appplied for a new account and got 100k bonus as long as we spend $5k in 3 months.

Thank you!
Confirmed what I saw. Not sure if we want any more credit - limits pretty high now.
Also using the 3:1 rule the new points equiv are 33,000 just a little higher than old SPG AMEX bonus.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)

I just noticed your location in Oahu!! You have power to post? How is it going?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just noticed your location in Oahu!! You have power to post? How is it going?
It was very fortuitous that the state got spared from a hurricane. It didnt even rain today at koolina. It was a cloudy day and some slight gusts of wind. But all is well and hoping the big island and maui are ok as they have to contend with flooding.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I currently have the personal SPG credit card, but did not receive any offers to upgrade. Debating whether it's worth applying for the new luxury card. My current card anniversary is
coming up in November so I'd like to retain it long enough to get the free night award (do you have to pay the annual $95 renewal fee in order to get the free night?).
Am I likely to see a renewal offer that includes the 100K sign up bonus if I wait?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the Marriott boards but thought it was relevant here too.

If you have an SPG card, you can refer your spouse for the new Luxury Amex Card (or older SPG) and receive 20,000 points. You will see this option when you log into your credit card account.

Even thought the referral is for the older SPG card, the person receiving the referral has an opportunity to select another card being offered. The Luxury card is one of those options. The site states that the referring person will still obtain the bonus (i.e. 20,000) points for referral.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I am thinking about signing up but most of the benefits overlap with many CCs I already have and that is stopping me. I would probably use the $300 credit and the free night, I guess that should more than cover the AF.
So you're essentially paying $150 for the free night. Wouldn't the regular card cost $95 for the free night (first year waived)? The luxury card gives more points for restaurants and a few other things too, but if you aren't using it for that, then wouldn't it make sense to go lower? do you get a higher free night?

I'm asking because I'm not sure either, and want to learn...

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the new Lux card gets a 50k point free night and the other only got a 35k point night. Plus you get the 100k sign up points that is worth 2-3 nights.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Luxury card is a free night up to 50k points, spg amex gets you free nightnup to 35k points.
So you're essentially paying $150 for the free night. Wouldn't the regular card cost $95 for the free night (first year waived)? The luxury card gives more points for restaurants and a few other things too, but if you aren't using it for that, then wouldn't it make sense to go lower? do you get a higher free night?

I'm asking because I'm not sure either, and want to learn...

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
Remember folks that they severely watered down the points since the merger. I would not use this card for any spending other than hotel stays. Everyday purchases give you 2 Marriott points which is 0.67 spg points per dollar( 1/3 less than what we used to earn). This is much worse than any other point card out there.

That being said, I’m keeping my card for now ( for the free room)but the chase sapphire reserve is my new favorite. 3 actual points/dollar per hotel stay vs 6 Marriott points (that are worth 2).

Just my 2 cents.:thumbup:-Tom

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I do not see the advantage of the Luxury card, other than for a very narrow segment of travelers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, If you already have an SPG AMEX, just sign into your AMEX account, and scroll down to the "Amex Benefits and Offers" section to see an offer to upgrade to the Lux card and pocket a 100,000 bonus. Saves you from re-applying, though they'll probably do another credit pull. Expires 10/31/18.

Here's what the offer says.

Lisa, upgrade to the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card today!
Upgrade your Starwood Preferred Guest (ending -44005)
It's Simple - just select the "Request an Upgrade" button below. Your account number won't change. Plus, any Additional Cards you already have will also be upgraded.
$300 SPG or Marriott Rewards Statement Credit

Each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits for purchases on the Card at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels.‡

Points - 6x, 3x, 2x
6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels.
3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
2 points on all other eligible purchases.‡

Free Night Award
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.‡

Complimentary Gold Elite Status
Enjoy complimentary Gold Elite status with your Card.‡ Earn Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.‡

I agree that it's probably not worth the fee given the devaluation of SPs. I'm much more likely to spend the $300 on travel to offset the Chase Sapphire Premiere card per year than $300 at SPG hotels.

Two positives worth mentioning:
  1. You'll get complimentary gold status with this card (e.g. you won't have to spend $35k like the old card) And if you spend $75k per year, you'll get platinum status! (Yeah, I know. That ain't gonna happen with us either.)
  2. It doesn't appear that they're going to charge $75 for additional users.
After mulling over both options, I went ahead and signed us each up for the new Chase MR card to pocket the 75k bonus. Sadly, I missed the 100k offer. First year was free and $95 after that. I think that'll work better for us. Marriott has been my go-to hotel recently because Starwood doesn't have much of a presence in non-major cities, so I'll probably keep the Chase MR card for the free night, which offsets the annual fee. However, the bulk of my spending will still be on the Chase Sapphire because the benefits are so much better. I've held on to the SPG Amex 2 years longer than I wanted to because they keep waiving the annual fee when I call, but it's unlikely that I'll do that again. I never use it anymore, which is a shame because at one point it was my go-to card.

I am really going to miss the great benefits of the old SPG program coupled with the SPG AMex. Back in June, I used up 12,000 of my last 100,000 SPs to stay at the Sheraton deMedici hotel in Rome. I cannot tell you what a treat it was to stay there after staying in non-SPG hotels for the bulk of our Trafalgar tour of Italy. I don't know what Italians have against soft beds, but I could have cried when I crawled into my soft bed with clean and soft sheets at the Sheraton. The room was easily twice as big as others I stayed in...and the AC actually worked! I told our tour mates from Australia that they can rib us all they want about our politics, but we Americans know how to build great hotels! I mean, the Westin reputation is what led me to owning WKORV back in the day.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up for the new SPG Luxury card. I didn't have an offer to upgrade. I tried to sign my husband up, too. First, Amex said he was pre-approved. Then, it said that "due to the number of Amex cards he had opened or closed," he was not eligible for the 100k Marriott Reward Points welcome offer. It then gave me the chance to cancel the application before a credit pull was done, so I canceled.

So, I got a new SPG Luxury card with a 100k Marriott Reward Points Welcome offer, but my husband did not.

One of the SPG Luxury card benefits is a $300 rebate on Sheraton/Marriott charges. What I'm really hoping is that the $300 Sheraton/Marriott rebate is good on Sheraton MFs. I stay at Sheraton timeshares frequently, but rarely charge anything to my room. I suppose I *could* buy stuff that I charge to my room, but I'd much rather get a $300 rebate on my MFs. If the $300 rebate doesn't apply to Sheraton MFs, I will cancel the card at the end of the year. If the $300 rebate does apply to Sheraton MF, I might keep the card to get the 50k point free night on each anniversary.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If Vistana and Marriott MF don't count towards the $300, this becomes a very expensive card to own. Has anyone gotten the answer?

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You can also usually charge tours etc.. to the room from the tours/concierge briefings. Sometimes you get bonus points too.
I'm guessing these would count....and a good way to burn $300 fast.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also usually charge tours etc.. to the room from the tours/concierge briefings. Sometimes you get bonus points too.
I'm guessing these would count....and a good way to burn $300 fast.
At MKO, the tours that I booked were charged directly in the vendors. I had initially thought all travel would apply to the $300 credit but when I read the specific language I am not going to touch this card unless MF counts.