• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flying to Maui tomorrow? Maui Ocean Club

Reaction score
Rented on RedWeek from an owner at Maui Ocean Club, check in tomorrow. Have a rental agreement and its legit. Guessing our probably flights will be cancelled tomorrow.

Any recourse I have or can he move his dates anyway? It's a fixed week rental - he made it sound like he can't do anything about dates and we basically have no choice now.

Need help, advice!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In most cases, timeshare owners cannot change the dates of their reservation the day before check-in. However, because of the hurricane, they may be able to get special accommodations.

Do you have a confirmation issued by Interval International, or a Confirmation issued directly from Marriott?

Have you called your airline?

Have you called the front desk?

Reaction score
Have only talked to owner. Have Direct confirmation from Marriott - reservation in his name but I'm added as a guest.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid there might not be any recourse unless you took out travel insurance. I'd try to work with the airlines to see how fast they can get you there and use as much as you can. It's terrible when this happens.

Reaction score
Well this makes me never want to rent a timeshare again. If it was a hotel, I'm sure my reservation would be cancelled or rebooked.

Reaction score
Tried talking to owner - all he says its a fixed week and he hasn't made any efforts to reach Marriott Vacation Club. I don't think I can call them since I'm not the owner.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You can call, explain the situation, they are probably getting many calls regarding the storm. Try the timeshare itself.
Good Luck

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Well this makes me never want to rent a timeshare again. If it was a hotel, I'm sure my reservation would be cancelled or rebooked.

You have identified one of the biggest downsides of timeshares - limited flexibility when compared to cash hotel rentals. This issue is particularly problematic when renting a timeshare from an individual owner, since that owner likely has access to no other inventory other that the inventory rented to you. But honestly, even a timeshare owner traveling to Maui in the next couple of days would be pretty much in the same boat as you are, since they can't just change weeks at the last minute either. Someone on an II exchange would be in the same situation (as we were last fall when Hurricane Irma resulted in our exchange to Hilton Head being cancelled at the last minute). Someone booking with Marriott timeshare points would be in a slightly better position, since that booking could be cancelled and the points refunded, but since the cancellation would be inside of 60 days, those returned points would be restricted to only last-minute bookings (but better than nothing, I suppose). In situations like this, cash bookings made directly through the resort operator usually offer the most flexibility.

On the positive side for you, unlike the situations in the fall of 2016 and 2017 in Hilton Head where the resorts were closed for days or weeks after the storm, it appears Maui Ocean Club will remain open through the storm, and your primary constraint will likely be when can the airline get you to Maui? If the airline can reschedule you for Sunday or even Monday, you can still salvage 70% or greater of your trip. Your room will be there when you arrive, even if late. Just advise the resort of your new arrival date and all should be fine.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree with Jim and others. I would check with your airline and the resort.

Things don't seem to be as bad as predicted.. At the moment some flights are canceled, but United at least seems to claiming some of today's flights are just delayed and will still depart. Not to sure if that is really the case or if they are just optimistic...

Not sure where your flying from or what airline.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You have nothing to lose by calling the resort and finding out what you can. I would be very surprised if Marriott it not offering some alternatives - I know the Westins are.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But I bet that you are paying less than you would have with a hotel room.

That's part of the tradeoff. If being able to cancel a reservation is important to you, then you should only book cancellable reservations, and then pay the according price.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
But I bet that you are paying less than you would have with a hotel room.

That's part of the tradeoff. If being able to cancel a reservation is important to you, then you should only book cancellable reservations, and then pay the according price.

My thoughts as well. There is a difference between paying $3000 for a week vs paying $800 per day plus taxes for a 2 br unit. I would have to agree that there are compromises for each situation. That is also why Marriott charges more as it balances out the last minute cancellations when they might miss out on revenue as someone cancels at the last minute.

I have fixed weeks that I rent out as well and I am not able to even change the check in date at this late stage for Christmas and New Years as my family are using it and they need a day earlier. While it is unfortunate with the impending hurricane, it is tough on all sides. It is not always possible to change dates especially this close to the reservation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We could see the flames from the fire on the side of the hill here at Kahana Beach.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
just to point out that a VERY high proportion of holiday/vacation travel hotel bookings are NOT flexible and would leave a traveler in exactly this situation.

to give a counterexample - bookings in the Vail Marriott in ski season are nonrefundable 75 days before arrival, whereas Vacation Club points bookings in the Ritz next door can be cancelled up to 24 hours prior.....

or to put it another way the 'advance purchase' Marriott rate that most leisure travellers at MOC or the Westin are paying is no more flexible than a RedWeek rental today, I expect.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Rented on RedWeek from an owner at Maui Ocean Club, check in tomorrow. Have a rental agreement and its legit. Guessing our probably flights will be cancelled tomorrow.

Any recourse I have or can he move his dates anyway? It's a fixed week rental - he made it sound like he can't do anything about dates and we basically have no choice now.

Need help, advice!

I have very little sympathy for this. You now own the week.

You should not be bothering the owner. Once you took his/her unit for the week, it is yours good or bad. Do you really expect the owner to now let you have an option on the weather and self-insure your vacation.

It will in all likelihood be a terrific week on Maui. If you guess wrong and do not go, you think they got to pay? That sounds horrible to me.

You should stay away in the future. You clearly don’t understand how this works.

Work with the owner and the resort. But put yourself in the owners shoes before you do. The owner should not be in the position of giving you the benefit of the week if all goes well and a refund if it doesn’t. That is terribly unfair.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
or to put it another way the 'advance purchase' Marriott rate that most leisure travellers at MOC or the Westin are paying is no more flexible than a RedWeek rental today, I expect.

I'm not sure "most" leisure travelers book the advance purchase rate. Maybe you are right and they do, but I know we never book the advance purchase rates. The savings just never seem to be enough to justify the loss of cancellation flexibility and the necessity to pay up front. If I'm going to pay hotel rates, I want to keep my money as long as I can as well as the flexibility.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have very little sympathy for this. You now own the week.

You should not be bothering the owner. Once you took his/her unit for the week, it is yours good or bad. Do you really expect the owner to now let you have an option on the weather and self-insure your vacation.

I disagree - I have no patience for frivolous cancellations, and I have a no cancellations policy, but for a hurricane, I would definitely call Owner Services and find out what my options were. If I could reschedule the renter's vacation at no cost to me, or for a reasonable change fee (which I'd pass on to the renter) I would 100% do it.

***Traveler's insurance will not necessarily pay for a weather cancellation.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure "most" leisure travelers book the advance purchase rate. Maybe you are right and they do, but I know we never book the advance purchase rates. The savings just never seem to be enough to justify the loss of cancellation flexibility and the necessity to pay up front. If I'm going to pay hotel rates, I want to keep my money as long as I can as well as the flexibility.

I do the same Jim, but my 'most' was in the context of a very high-demand tourist area which is somewhat of a sellers market for the hotels - have a look on marriott.com for these properties and you will find it difficult to obtain flexible rates at busy periods such as next feb, and more importantly, the 'flexible' rate offered is very restrictive.

By way of example I checked a room in MOC or the Westin Maui for Sep 7, the cancellation period applied by MOC expires 14 days before arrival, at which point you are 100% nonrefundable, and the most flexible rate I could obtain at the Westin Maui was 3 days before arrival . Interestingly the Westin Maui is one of those places that charges you a 2 night stay price penalty if you are a no-show for a one night stay - so it would pay you to send a friend! - Odd!

Kapolei

Reaction score
I disagree - I have no patience for frivolous cancellations, and I have a no cancellations policy, but for a hurricane, I would definitely call Owner Services and find out what my options were. If I could reschedule the renter's vacation at no cost to me, or for a reasonable change fee (which I'd pass on to the renter) I would 100% do it.

I agree with that.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I do the same Jim, but my 'most' was in the context of a very high-demand tourist area which is somewhat of a sellers market for the hotels - have a look on marriott.com for these properties and you will find it difficult to obtain flexible rates at busy periods such as next feb, and more importantly, the 'flexible' rate offered is very restrictive.

By way of example I checked a room in MOC or the Westin Maui for Sep 7, the cancellation period applied by MOC expires 14 days before arrival, at which point you are 100% nonrefundable, and the most flexible rate I could obtain at the Westin Maui was 3 days before arrival . Interestingly the Westin Maui is one of those places that charges you a 2 night stay price penalty if you are a no-show for a one night stay - so it would pay you to send a friend! - Odd!

Agree with all of this, but one thing to consider is the cancellation provisions on the flexible rates frequently (though not always) only result in the forfeiture of one night's cost. They are also primarily designed to discourage voluntary cancellation by the hotel guest. But in a situation where the cancellation was forced by a situation like a hurricane, where it is impossible or unsafe to get to the hotel, the hotel company would have the flexibility to waive the cancellation penalty, much in the same way the airlines waive change fees in the same situation. I'm not sure how often they do this, but I would think they probably would for a cash reservation. When a timeshare stay is involved, there is nothing to refund, since the maintenance fees still have to be paid. Any refund of points for future use, runs the risk of not having adequate inventory available, depending on how much"slack" is in that points network.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Need help, advice!
This is a risk of timeshares in general not just a rental. The owner would have been in much the same situation as you are now were they using the week. That's the risk for the savings involved, one could almost always pay cash through the resort but pay more and pay taxes to boot.

It depends. I generally have retained the flexibility but just 2 days ago I booked a Miami Marriott using the advance purchase price for about a 10% savings over the AAA rate. But I'd just committed FF miles for American and needed a place to stay overnight as our flight delay in Miami is that long and we're committed to Aruba anyway.

I think the owner should at least make the effort though at the end of the day it's unlikely there would be a workable solution for the renter.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Need help, advice!

In the future, it’s best to get travel insurance. :cool:

Here’s a link to an old Redweek article regarding travel insurance.
Should You Consider Travel Insurance?“ (October 2014) - https://www.redweek.com/blog/category/hurricanes-and-travel/

For example, here’s what Redweek’s sample rental contract states from their Full Service Process
12. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter will receive a pro-rated refund for the portion of the Term that was unavailable. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

Have a wonderful trip and hopefully without too much delay :thumbup:

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Agree with all of this, but one thing to consider is the cancellation provisions on the flexible rates frequently (though not always) only result in the forfeiture of one night's cost. They are also primarily designed to discourage voluntary cancellation by the hotel guest. But in a situation where the cancellation was forced by a situation like a hurricane, where it is impossible or unsafe to get to the hotel, the hotel company would have the flexibility to waive the cancellation penalty, much in the same way the airlines waive change fees in the same situation. I'm not sure how often they do this, but I would think they probably would for a cash reservation. When a timeshare stay is involved, there is nothing to refund, since the maintenance fees still have to be paid. Any refund of points for future use, runs the risk of not having adequate inventory available, depending on how much"slack" is in that points network.
Yes, the biggest difference may be the 1 day penalty vs the week. But as others have noted, many resorts have a no cancellation policy inside a certain time.

As people noted in prior hurricane threads, people said that cash stays were actually lower on the totem pole than owner reservations. In either case, in this circumstance I think that Marriott would do everything they can with both cash and owner reservations, but there is only so much space available to re-accommodate people.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yes, the biggest difference may be the 1 day penalty vs the week. But as others have noted, many resorts have a no cancellation policy inside a certain time.

As people noted in prior hurricane threads, people said that cash stays were actually lower on the totem pole than owner reservations. In either case, in this circumstance I think that Marriott would do everything they can with both cash and owner reservations, but there is only so much space available to re-accommodate people.

I agree that the ability to re-accomodate is limited in all cases by available inventory, but at least with a cash reservation, Marriott could opt to waive/refund the cancellation penalty if the cancellation was beyond the guest's control. With any timeshare based-stay, there is nothing to waive, so re-accomodation is the only alternative, and as you've noted, there the options are limited to non-existent.