• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Where can I find information on RCI Points?

I still see them for sale, but how do they work?
Can you book any TS in their data base and can you book for long weekends and if so what would the charge be to book long weekends
and housekeeping charge?

If there is a thread/forum on this please direct me.

Thanks

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
When you say 'rent' do you mean actual cash rentals? Or are you asking if you can book these reservations using RCI points?

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you say 'rent' do you mean actual cash rentals? Or are you asking if you can book these reservations using RCI points?

Sorry...No, I mean book.
I am thinking RCI pts may be a great option for long weekends and so that would be a good purchase for me. As I would have access to many many resorts.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry...No, I mean book.
I am thinking RCI pts may be a great option for long weekends and so that would be a good purchase for me. As I would have access to many many resorts.
That's exactly why I purchased my first RCI Points contract. I already had Wyndham Points and liked the flexibility of unit size and number of days. RCI Points gave me that flexibility in locations where Wyndham didn't exist.

Some resorts have add'l housekeeping fees for stays less than 7 days. I don't have a problem with that because there is additional housekeeping needed for short stays. Also, the exchange fees are lower for RCI Points reservations, so sort of an offset.

Also inventory in RCI Points is greater than RCI Weeks.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
In my experience not all resorts in RCI can be booked for less than full week rentals. When they can you have to pay a housekeeping fee for less than full week stays. If you are looking to book mostly long weekends you might be better off buying Wyndham points. Maybe other people have more experience than I have with booking less than full week stays with RCI.

Now I'm going to add a but. You can find discounted point stays in the last 5 weeks before the check in date. You will pay the $239 exchange fee but there wouldn't be a housekeeping fee. We've stayed a lot of holiday weeks at different resorts in Florida before my husband retired 6 months ago. He would have a long weekend because of the holiday and usually take a day of vacation to give himself a four day weekend. I would check with him when I booked the stays to make sure he had work in the area we were staying in and one of the three remaining work days for the week would be a day of doing reports. He always said sitting on the balcony looking out at the ocean or Gulf doing reports on his laptop hardly seemed like he was working. Several times we check out what the hotels in the area were getting a night for those holiday weekends and that $239 exchange fee for a whole week was a real deal compared to what people staying in the hotels were paying even if you didn't stay the whole week. Also when you can find sale weeks that require no points for around $269 or less they could also be used for long weekends.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In my experience not all resorts in RCI can be booked for less than full week rentals. When they can you have to pay a housekeeping fee for less than full week stays. If you are looking to book mostly long weekends you might be better off buying Wyndham points. Maybe other people have more experience than I have with booking less than full week stays with RCI.

Now I'm going to add a but. You can find discounted point stays in the last 5 weeks before the check in date. You will pay the $239 exchange fee but there wouldn't be a housekeeping fee. We've stayed a lot of holiday weeks at different resorts in Florida before my husband retired 6 months ago. He would have a long weekend because of the holiday and usually take a day of vacation to give himself a four day weekend. I would check with him when I booked the stays to make sure he had work in the area we were staying in and one of the three remaining work days for the week would be a day of doing reports. He always said sitting on the balcony looking out at the ocean or Gulf doing reports on his laptop hardly seemed like he was working. Several times we check out what the hotels in the area were getting a night for those holiday weekends and that $239 exchange fee for a whole week was a real deal compared to what people staying in the hotels were paying even if you didn't stay the whole week. Also when you can find sale weeks that require no points for around $269 or less they could also be used for long weekends.

So if you own RCI Points, anything you book has a $239 exchange fee? I like doing 2-3 nights as I live in Florida and like to do long Florida coastal weekends. So if there is a $239 exchange fee plus housekeeping fee, it may not be worth it for me, I may be better off booking a hotel. It;s just the 2 of us.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found this online.
Exchange Vacations USD (Call Center/RCI.com)
Home Week Reservation (7 nights) No Charge
Home Resort Reservation (7 nights) $50
RCI Points Reservation 14 nights + $288
RCI Points Reservation: 7-13 nights $209
RCI Points Reservation 6 nights $199
RCI Points Reservation: 5 nights $179
RCI Points Reservation 4 nights $139
RCI Points Reservation: 3 nights $109
RCI Points Reservation 2 nights $79
RCI Points Reservation: 1 night $59
RCI Weeks Reservation (7 nights) $239
Thanks.

Freein2010...Are you happy with your RCI Points?

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
I really like RCI Points over Weeks. I have been able to book 9 nights at the Hilton Club, New York City as well as 3 nights at San Luis Bay Inn, Avalia Beach, CA. It is so flexible. If you have an RCI weeks account you do not pay for an additional points account.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found this online.
Exchange Vacations USD (Call Center/RCI.com)
Home Week Reservation (7 nights) No Charge
Home Resort Reservation (7 nights) $50
RCI Points Reservation 14 nights + $288
RCI Points Reservation: 7-13 nights $209
RCI Points Reservation 6 nights $199
RCI Points Reservation: 5 nights $179
RCI Points Reservation 4 nights $139
RCI Points Reservation: 3 nights $109
RCI Points Reservation 2 nights $79
RCI Points Reservation: 1 night $59
RCI Weeks Reservation (7 nights) $239
Thanks.

Freein2010...Are you happy with your RCI Points?

I am fairly satisfied with RCI Points. I've learned how and when to book to get what I want. That part works great for me.

I'm not happy with frequent fee increases. But with the selection available and comparing it to other choices (renting or using hotels), I still come out okay.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really like RCI Points over Weeks. I have been able to book 9 nights at the Hilton Club, New York City as well as 3 nights at San Luis Bay Inn, Avalia Beach, CA. It is so flexible. If you have an RCI weeks account you do not pay for an additional points account.

Actually that's reversed... if you pay for an RCI Points account, you get a free RCI Weeks account.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
So if you own RCI Points, anything you book has a $239 exchange fee? I like doing 2-3 nights as I live in Florida and like to do long Florida coastal weekends. So if there is a $239 exchange fee plus housekeeping fee, it may not be worth it for me, I may be better off booking a hotel. It;s just the 2 of us.

There is no housekeeping fee with full week or longer stays. What I can't tell you is how good the selection of resorts is that will do partial week stays.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
Actually that's reversed... if you pay for an RCI Points account, you get a free RCI Weeks account.
I just know I had an RCI Weeks account first and when I acquired RCI points I did not have to pay for an extra account.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just know I had an RCI Weeks account first and when I acquired RCI points I did not have to pay for an extra account.
I wish that were my situation... because the RCI Points membership fee is much higher than RCI Weeks.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Fee is not that much more, but I have never seen specials on on 3 for 2 year on memberships like you will see on weeks only memberships, but the availability of stuff to is much greater.

Exchange fee costs to clear up are based on weeks or points reservation made since you can make both.

The part they don’t explain is not all resorts including point resorts allow for reservations less than a week or given number of days.

RCI does mess with inventory too it seems like all weeks in reduced point times will normally alway show as weeks inventory so they can get higher exchange fee. But in some cases you can see same ones in last minute deals and they will show as points inventory since you don’t have exchange fee.

But all that said you can milk points for a lot of stays.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
With resorts that only allow 1 stay in 4 years such as Hilton, can you book one stay in weeks and then one in points within the 4 years? Some RCI agents say yes, and some say no,

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With resorts that only allow 1 stay in 4 years such as Hilton, can you book one stay in weeks and then one in points within the 4 years? Some RCI agents say yes, and some say no,
If you have a separate weeks account and points account, they likely won't know since the rci membership number is different. If you are booking a week from weeks inventory and a week from points inventory from the same account- be it rci points or one of the portals and the 1 in 4 rule does not specifically allow multiple points bookings then I think the answer would be no. If there are exceptions like some allow consecutive weeks then it would be listed in the information page toward the bottom.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There is no housekeeping fee with full week or longer stays. What I can't tell you is how good the selection of resorts is that will do partial week stays.

I usually try to book 9 or 10 night stays with our points and have found a very limited selection of resorts. I usually am trying to book in FL, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Earlier this year I wanted to book a 9-10 night stay in FL for this Oct. to go with our home week stay. I found several resorts that had two 4 or 5 consecutive night stays but the RCI system wouldn't let me book a 9 or 10 night stay for those dates. When I called RCI the VC told me to just book the 2 different stays and call the resort to see if we could be in the same unit for the whole time. I told her no way, I'm not giving RCI an extra booking fee for doing that, but if she would let me pay one 10 night fee I would go for it. Of course she wouldn't. I don't understand why somebody can book a 4 and a 5 night stay but not a 9 night stay for the same dates, at the same resort, unless each stay is for a different unit at the resort.

I am also peeved that we can't do an ongoing search with points in RCI.

End of rant! :wall:

~Diane

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So you can only stay at a Hilton property one time every 4 years? Or is it the same Hilton resort you can only go to once every 4 years?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
So you can only stay at a Hilton property one time every 4 years? Or is it the same Hilton resort you can only go to once every 4 years?
It’s the same Hilton... I may be wrong but getaways sometime will still work

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s the same Hilton... I may be wrong but getaways sometime will still work
This has been my experience.

We stayed a week in a Hilton in Orlando in 2015 and a Hilton in Las Vegas (3 units the same week) in 2017.

Also, I've used Last Call and/or Extra Vacations 2-3 years in a row at places that have 1-in-4 rules. This may not apply to all resorts though.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I just read all the links that were shared and am loving this RCI points deal. Thank You!

Is there a link with how many points different units take? So I can get an idea of how many points it takes per night for different areas, different times of the year?