• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
folks have reported everything from a month...to many many months unfortunately.

2Times

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
For those who have gone through the process, how long did it take from start to finish? I started the "Transition" process just last week and made sure that I met all of the qualifications they had listed.....so is there a general consensus as to how long the prcoess takes?

Thank you
My wife and I started the process on 01/02/2018. We finally received the final paperwork from Diamond Resorts last week. The paperwork from them was dated 05/22/2018. It took many phone calls to follow up with them on a regular basis. I documented each and every discussion. You will have to initiate contact. They will not contact you. We now need to get the paperwork notarized and return a check for $250.00 for the "Recovery and Recording" fee. We have owned with them for nearly 20 years and have gotten our "money's worth" and now is the time to give it up.

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me understand why DRI charges future dues, which we will have no usage rights to? Applied for Transitions 6/3, received email 6/4 stating must pay 2018-Q4 dues.
MGV owner, even year points, current use period 09/01/2016-08/31/2018, points expire 08/31/2018. Paid 2018-Q3 dues, so paid through end of current usage term.
(I mean, will pay it just to get out. Still, Diamond's requirement seems unethical, and quite possibly illegal?)

Last edited:

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Isle of Bali II
Update on our deed back....

We sent the notarized & witnessed deed along with a $250 check last week (we had a deeded week from a resort DRI bought out and not points membership). Yesterday I received my green confirmation of delivery copy of the USPS certified mail back and today the $250 check shows it was cashed by DRI and is cleared in my bank account. I just checked my DRI online account and it's still active. I will check it again in a few days but we should be done.

Another tip is a lot of counties/states where deeded resorts are located have free online deed viewing. I know my home resort was recorded and visible as I had previously downloaded a PDF (but still had the originals as well). I'm going to check there next week to look for my deed back to be recorded and that will be an absolute confirmation we are free of the DRI ownership. Might be something to check if someone has a deeded unit they are returning to inventory, but results will vary depending on the availability where the deed is recorded. Ours was recorded originally in Orange County, FL and I just check for the deed back. It has not yet been recorded (I would believe since the property is deeded and in Orange County, FL, DRI would have to record the deed back there as well).

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Edit/Update:

As of December 2017 DRI now officially has a name for this program called TRANSITIONS.

Information (including who/how to contact) is available here in this thread:

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transitions-is-finally-announced.267181/

The financial dept apparently Voluntary Surrender Program:

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

To start this process, the owner must send an email to: lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com and or leadcollector@diamondresorts.com with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
-Resort Name
-Owner(s) Name(s)
-Account Number
-Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
-any other important information regarding the deed

within 7-10 business days, the Diamond Resorts will send an action required correspondence, where the owner will have 15 days to return.

Note: the owner is responsible for any fees associated with the paper work, such as notary, postage etc.

Edited to add phone number: You can call 877-497-7521, option 1 English, then 3 is direct to Loss Mitigation.

I would like to confirm that this program is still available for giving points back to DRI. If so, that is great news and TUG once again proves to be an invaluable resource.

My situation is as follows: My aunt and uncle are Platinum level members and own 62,500 points. Their kids do not want to inherit the points, so my aunt and uncle want to get rid of them. Admittedly they made a huge investment by buying them and thinking the kids would use some and then inherit them longer term. They are older now and aren't traveling like they used to, but they feel that they have gotten their value out of their ownership over the years. They would sell them if they could, but based on what I have seen on redweek the points don't appear to have much, if any, value. I only saw two packages both of which were given away.

So, this Transitions program seems to be the answer. Interestingly enough, they called DRI to ask about deeding the points back to them. The response was that they don't do that. As I read in one post in this thread, it appears that this program isn't widely known by their employees.

They also spoke with the Timeshare Exit Team. I know what you're thinking. I was too. They want $10,000 to get rid of the points and they said it could take a couple years to do so. So, A & U would have to continue paying the MF's. All in, probably $40k. Of course, I told them that they should not pay anyone up front for this.

I would appreciate any insights you may have.

Best regards.

Mike

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what sort of input would you like to provide?

they could either pay $250 and give them back to DRi...or pay $10,000 to some upfront fee company to give them back to DRI for them. That company knows full well owners can simply give back unwanted DRI points, they are simply trying to milk your relatives for 10 grand.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I mainly wanted to confirm that the Transitions program is still active. I take it that it is. The only other input may be whether I misinterpreted the resale market for DRI points. Not likely, but I don’t want to assume anything.

Thanks.

Mike

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they still doing it? I've been trying to give away my 3 bedroom week at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas Resort. Just sent the first email. Hope they will take it back.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on our deed back....

We sent the notarized & witnessed deed along with a $250 check last week (we had a deeded week from a resort DRI bought out and not points membership). Yesterday I received my green confirmation of delivery copy of the USPS certified mail back and today the $250 check shows it was cashed by DRI and is cleared in my bank account. I just checked my DRI online account and it's still active. I will check it again in a few days but we should be done.

Another tip is a lot of counties/states where deeded resorts are located have free online deed viewing. I know my home resort was recorded and visible as I had previously downloaded a PDF (but still had the originals as well). I'm going to check there next week to look for my deed back to be recorded and that will be an absolute confirmation we are free of the DRI ownership. Might be something to check if someone has a deeded unit they are returning to inventory, but results will vary depending on the availability where the deed is recorded. Ours was recorded originally in Orange County, FL and I just check for the deed back. It has not yet been recorded (I would believe since the property is deeded and in Orange County, FL, DRI would have to record the deed back there as well).

You're being very optimistic on the part about DRI handling this deed-back quickly. Sure, you have received the USPS green card back. Sure, they received and cashed your check. DRI does nothing quickly when it comes to handling deed transfers and deed-backs. It usually takes months to see it removed from your account. I also doubt you're going to see the re-deeding on the County's website any time soon. You've done your part; now, it's the waiting game for it all to be over.

Many posts have alluded to a long wait on this thread. I let a friend of mine know about this deed-back program of Diamonds. She was successful in extricating herself from their clutches. It was many months though before it was all over.

Yes, you should be "done" on your end, but be patient with things being finalized on Diamond's end or you will become utterly frustrated by checking your Diamond account and the County's website at this point. I would love for you to post otherwise. It would be a definite anomaly if it's less than months of waiting.

Congratulations!

Hercules325

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my update for giving back my annual deeded 1-bedroom unit at Kaanapali Beach Club. Transaction is now complete.

Submitted request on-line through DiamondResorts.com website on 5/31/18. There's a tab called Transitions after you log in.
Received acceptance confirmation on 5/31 - less than an hour later.
Received title docs on 6/19
Fed Exp docs back on 6/21 with $250 check
Check cashed 6/28
No on-line access 7/17/18

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hercules thanks for the update and congratulations.

My aunt and uncle are going to try again in October after they have used all of their reserved trips for the current year. Apparently that was a sticking point for them when DRI rejected their request. Hopefully it goes through the next time.

Best regards.

Mike

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hercules,

Thanks a lot for posting your timeline. Is there any communication between step 1 and 2? I submitted request using email and got a case number back right away. Then nothing for a week so far. I wonder what happens next.

Jane

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's done. Our deed back is recorded at the Clerk's Office and I am no longer a DRI owner.

Here is how the process went for us as DRI tried to drop the ball several times. Our DRI account is still active, but the deed is recorded and I have a recorded phone call from them where they called to confirm we were no longer owners and owe nothing else afterwards. They confirmed we are done.

First our Condo ownership story:

We purchased a deeded week, 1 bedroom, odd years, for week 26 (July 4th week) at Liki Tiki Village in Orlanda, FL in 2002. Unit was purchased from Island One, who later became part of Club Navigo, and was ultimately bought by Diamond Resorts International a few years back. We stayed at the facility on a free 3 day teaser with the tour and sales pitch. At the time I was working on a special project with good money flow and we had a 15 and 10 year old daughter, so Orlando was a frequent visitation location for us. At the completion of the tour, one of the managers was by the luck of the draw the person we were talking to on the office part of the sales pitch. I was reluctant to buy in at the current market price. However one of their other sales persons brought him a trade in contract to approve. Another person had previously bought a 1 bedroom unit, deeded, odd years only for week 26 (July 4th) in the original part of the development (the old townhouse section). The other owner was upgrading to a 3 bedroom lockout and had traded the 1 bedroom back into inventory. From what the manager said as he signed off on that trade in/up for the other person, there was a clause in Florida law where they would have to offer that unit at the same price the original owner paid on their original purchase years before. We ended up buying that deeded week for roughly $8,000 out the door with all fees, taxes, etc... I paid cash via VISA card which was paid off when we got back home from that trip.

We have never stayed in our particular unit at Like Tiki (although we have stayed at the complex many times in other units) and either traded to other locations at affiliated locations or deposited and traded our week on Interval International. We did use the II "short stay" program quite a few times. With a high traffic week (July 4th), we were always able to upgrade to a 2 or 3 bedroom in less busy seasons which actually fit our travel plans better. Basically we used the prime week to leverage upgrades in the seasons we actually traveled.

After the great real estate crash of 2008 the market changed. A lot of inventory for most locations reverted back to the developer or marketing group ownership from foreclosures and voluntary deed backs. Listings for trades outside our home group (Club Navigo and then DRI) dwindled on II as most groups were generating more revenue by transitioning excess inventory to a more "hotel" type rental for the week or portions of a week. Our kids grew up and moved away to start their own lives, and slowly as we aged our health changed. Currently neither my wife or my doctors would recommend the typical walking required for most vacations so a condo was becoming a financial burden that we just did not foresee using much if at all in the future. So after paying off all the bills this past Christmas and after a major surgery, I decided it was time to get out of the Condo ownership business (kids did not want the condo either).

The deed back process:

1. Found out about deed back of DRI properties and their "Transitions" program on TUG BBS. We had been on the BBS for years, mostly reading other posts for advice and not actively posting.

2. February 26th - Submitted both a "Transitions" request via the DRI website and a direct email to the DRI Loss Mitigation email posted in this thread. We had a $0 balance on our DRI account and no pending reservations.

3. February 26th - Quickly received a ticket number assigned to our deed back process (not sure if it was from the transitions request or the email). Keep your ticket number handy for any further communications you have with DRI. Both the ticket number and your contract number are how they can most quickly look up your request status.

4. March 1st - Received an email that our Transitions request had been approved, and that the necessary forms and instructions would be mailed. (NOTE: they gave a phone number of (855)342-3689 and email of transitions@diamondresorts.com if anybody needs this in the future).

5. 1st week of April - Nothing received so far. Called to ask about the mailed packet and was told to give it to the end of the month to arrive (April).

6. May 8th - Still had not received the mailed packet or any further communications from DRI. Called them again and was told it was mailed out on February 28th and we should have received it (we did not). They said they would have it reprinted and mailed the next day.

7. May 24th - Still had not received either the original mailing or the reprinted mailing from DRI so I called loss mitigation again. Spoke with Claire Naboa in Inventory Recovery/Loss Mitigation and she said she could email me the documents I needed. Why don't they do this to start with and save time and postage? It was a "what the hell" moment in my mind, but I remained polite. About 20 minutes later I received an email with the documents and detailed directions via email as PDF files.

8. May 25th - Strangely for some reason DRI went ahead and generated my reservation for week 26 (July 4th) in 2019. I'm sure it is connected to the deed back and my call the prior day as they have never auto-generated a reservation this far in advance.

9. May 31st - Signed deed documents along with the $250.00 check were sent to this address per their instructions. Prior to mailing I called them again to verify the address and attention of was correct. Sent via Certified mail through the US Postal System:

Diamond Resorts
    Attention - Loss Mitigation
    10600 W. Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89135-8425

10. June 4th - DRI signs for the deed back packet in Las Vegas.

11. June 5th - My $250.00 check to DRI clears my bank, so I know the packet was actually worked on by someone.

12. I'm weekly checking the Property Deed records for Orange County, FL to see if they have recorded our deed back, and also checking our DRI account to see if it has been shut off. Nothing.... and account open still.

13. July 16th - a new WTH moment. I check my DRI online account and on the Transitions link I see my original transitions request status has been changed to show the request "cancelled" and a new special assessment from the Condo association billed. So I call both Loss Mitigation and Deed Processing at DRI to find out what is going on. They confirmed my deed back was processed and approved on June 5th and sent over for the deed to be recorded on June 8th (5 weeks ago). They could also see the transitions cancellation but had no idea why it was indicating that and assured me our request had been approved and processed already. The person handling my case was out to lunch and I was assured they would call me back when they returned.

14. July 17th - After not hearing anything from DRI on the above call, early in the day I emailed them with a detailed chronology of events asking why is our transitions request showing it is cancelled; who cancelled it and why; and what is the status of our deed back which we were told was approved on June 5th. Email was detailed, stern, but polite. I sent it early Eastern time so it would be waiting on them at the start of business that day.

15. July 18th - I receive both an email and a phone call that my inquiry has been assigned for research and I should have an answer soon. The "supervisor" who called assured me my transitions request was still active and did not know why it was showing cancelled on their website (which it still was). So they were responsive to my concerns.

16. July 18th - Later than evening when I'm home, I check the Orange County Deeds Records (Florida) and find our deed back deed has finally been recorded. It was recorded late in the afternoon on July 17th (I suspect my email may have contributed to urgency, but it could just be coincidence). So that is the official record that matters - I'm no longer a DRI owner as of that recording. WOO HOO!!!!!

17. July 19th - I receive a call from DRI responding to my email of July 17th. They assured me our deed back had been both processed and approved and was being recorded in Orange County Florida this week (I did not tell them it already was). She even gave me the recording number for the deed and said it may take a few days to show up on the Clerk's website as recorded. She also confirmed I do not owe the special assessment as our deed back request was started months before this was assessed. She confirmed we were no longer owners, would owe nothing further, and needed to take no further action on that property. The deed back was complete. She did say our DRI online account may remain open a few days longer, but it will close soon as that is another department who handles that portions of the process (this was the only DRI property we had).
We were dealing with a deeded week from a legacy purchase by DRI and not a points based DRI vacation club account so the process may be a little different for others.

Keep copies of everything, and if a 1 party phone call recording is legal in your state, record your calls to DRI (and their calls to you). I have the ACR app on my cell phone and it records all my incoming and outgoing calls and holds the for 3 days. The ones I need, I move to a USB drive to keep. ACR is free for Android phones but costs per month for Apple phones (it's a good app if it's legal to do a 1 party recording in your state - it is in Georgia).

Be persistent in monitoring the status of your request. It is not a fast process and DRI may bobble the ball a little, but it can be done as described on this site.

And thanks to all those who posted the info in this board which helped me through this process. It's not like they advertise deed backs at DRI and the information in this thread was a great help. I can only hope my experience in our deed back I described above will help others.....

I'm also uploaded a copy of the instructions they sent me for what needed to be done on my part in the deed back. I've redacted my info and did not included the actual deed as that will vary by state and what type of deed back or surrender you are making.

Attachments

• deed back instructions - Redacted.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Hercules325

TUG Member
Reaction score
For my timeline above, we didn't received any communications from DRI between acceptance and receiving the final paperwork. I was going to give them 3 weeks before I followed-up for status. On-line under the Transitions tab, I was able to see status as pending immediately.

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Checked our DRI account again tonight. "No such user" so the process is complete for me. Only took 5 months (see timeline above).

Looking2Sell

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Grand Villas
It's done. Our deed back is recorded at the Clerk's Office and I am no longer a DRI owner.

Here is how the process went for us as DRI tried to drop the ball several times. Our DRI account is still active, but the deed is recorded and I have a recorded phone call from them where they called to confirm we were no longer owners and owe nothing else afterwards. They confirmed we are done.

First our Condo ownership story:

We purchased a deeded week, 1 bedroom, odd years, for week 26 (July 4th week) at Liki Tiki Village in Orlanda, FL in 2002. Unit was purchased from Island One, who later became part of Club Navigo, and was ultimately bought by Diamond Resorts International a few years back. We stayed at the facility on a free 3 day teaser with the tour and sales pitch. At the time I was working on a special project with good money flow and we had a 15 and 10 year old daughter, so Orlando was a frequent visitation location for us. At the completion of the tour, one of the managers was by the luck of the draw the person we were talking to on the office part of the sales pitch. I was reluctant to buy in at the current market price. However one of their other sales persons brought him a trade in contract to approve. Another person had previously bought a 1 bedroom unit, deeded, odd years only for week 26 (July 4th) in the original part of the development (the old townhouse section). The other owner was upgrading to a 3 bedroom lockout and had traded the 1 bedroom back into inventory. From what the manager said as he signed off on that trade in/up for the other person, there was a clause in Florida law where they would have to offer that unit at the same price the original owner paid on their original purchase years before. We ended up buying that deeded week for roughly $8,000 out the door with all fees, taxes, etc... I paid cash via VISA card which was paid off when we got back home from that trip.

We have never stayed in our particular unit at Like Tiki (although we have stayed at the complex many times in other units) and either traded to other locations at affiliated locations or deposited and traded our week on Interval International. We did use the II "short stay" program quite a few times. With a high traffic week (July 4th), we were always able to upgrade to a 2 or 3 bedroom in less busy seasons which actually fit our travel plans better. Basically we used the prime week to leverage upgrades in the seasons we actually traveled.

After the great real estate crash of 2008 the market changed. A lot of inventory for most locations reverted back to the developer or marketing group ownership from foreclosures and voluntary deed backs. Listings for trades outside our home group (Club Navigo and then DRI) dwindled on II as most groups were generating more revenue by transitioning excess inventory to a more "hotel" type rental for the week or portions of a week. Our kids grew up and moved away to start their own lives, and slowly as we aged our health changed. Currently neither my wife or my doctors would recommend the typical walking required for most vacations so a condo was becoming a financial burden that we just did not foresee using much if at all in the future. So after paying off all the bills this past Christmas and after a major surgery, I decided it was time to get out of the Condo ownership business (kids did not want the condo either).

The deed back process:

1. Found out about deed back of DRI properties and their "Transitions" program on TUG BBS. We had been on the BBS for years, mostly reading other posts for advice and not actively posting.

2. February 26th - Submitted both a "Transitions" request via the DRI website and a direct email to the DRI Loss Mitigation email posted in this thread. We had a $0 balance on our DRI account and no pending reservations.

3. February 26th - Quickly received a ticket number assigned to our deed back process (not sure if it was from the transitions request or the email). Keep your ticket number handy for any further communications you have with DRI. Both the ticket number and your contract number are how they can most quickly look up your request status.

4. March 1st - Received an email that our Transitions request had been approved, and that the necessary forms and instructions would be mailed. (NOTE: they gave a phone number of (855)342-3689 and email of transitions@diamondresorts.com if anybody needs this in the future).

5. 1st week of April - Nothing received so far. Called to ask about the mailed packet and was told to give it to the end of the month to arrive (April).

6. May 8th - Still had not received the mailed packet or any further communications from DRI. Called them again and was told it was mailed out on February 28th and we should have received it (we did not). They said they would have it reprinted and mailed the next day.

7. May 24th - Still had not received either the original mailing or the reprinted mailing from DRI so I called loss mitigation again. Spoke with Claire Naboa in Inventory Recovery/Loss Mitigation and she said she could email me the documents I needed. Why don't they do this to start with and save time and postage? It was a "what the hell" moment in my mind, but I remained polite. About 20 minutes later I received an email with the documents and detailed directions via email as PDF files.

8. May 25th - Strangely for some reason DRI went ahead and generated my reservation for week 26 (July 4th) in 2019. I'm sure it is connected to the deed back and my call the prior day as they have never auto-generated a reservation this far in advance.

9. May 31st - Signed deed documents along with the $250.00 check were sent to this address per their instructions. Prior to mailing I called them again to verify the address and attention of was correct. Sent via Certified mail through the US Postal System:

Diamond Resorts
    Attention - Loss Mitigation
    10600 W. Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89135-8425

10. June 4th - DRI signs for the deed back packet in Las Vegas.

11. June 5th - My $250.00 check to DRI clears my bank, so I know the packet was actually worked on by someone.

12. I'm weekly checking the Property Deed records for Orange County, FL to see if they have recorded our deed back, and also checking our DRI account to see if it has been shut off. Nothing.... and account open still.

13. July 16th - a new WTH moment. I check my DRI online account and on the Transitions link I see my original transitions request status has been changed to show the request "cancelled" and a new special assessment from the Condo association billed. So I call both Loss Mitigation and Deed Processing at DRI to find out what is going on. They confirmed my deed back was processed and approved on June 5th and sent over for the deed to be recorded on June 8th (5 weeks ago). They could also see the transitions cancellation but had no idea why it was indicating that and assured me our request had been approved and processed already. The person handling my case was out to lunch and I was assured they would call me back when they returned.

14. July 17th - After not hearing anything from DRI on the above call, early in the day I emailed them with a detailed chronology of events asking why is our transitions request showing it is cancelled; who cancelled it and why; and what is the status of our deed back which we were told was approved on June 5th. Email was detailed, stern, but polite. I sent it early Eastern time so it would be waiting on them at the start of business that day.

15. July 18th - I receive both an email and a phone call that my inquiry has been assigned for research and I should have an answer soon. The "supervisor" who called assured me my transitions request was still active and did not know why it was showing cancelled on their website (which it still was). So they were responsive to my concerns.

16. July 18th - Later than evening when I'm home, I check the Orange County Deeds Records (Florida) and find our deed back deed has finally been recorded. It was recorded late in the afternoon on July 17th (I suspect my email may have contributed to urgency, but it could just be coincidence). So that is the official record that matters - I'm no longer a DRI owner as of that recording. WOO HOO!!!!!

17. July 19th - I receive a call from DRI responding to my email of July 17th. They assured me our deed back had been both processed and approved and was being recorded in Orange County Florida this week (I did not tell them it already was). She even gave me the recording number for the deed and said it may take a few days to show up on the Clerk's website as recorded. She also confirmed I do not owe the special assessment as our deed back request was started months before this was assessed. She confirmed we were no longer owners, would owe nothing further, and needed to take no further action on that property. The deed back was complete. She did say our DRI online account may remain open a few days longer, but it will close soon as that is another department who handles that portions of the process (this was the only DRI property we had).
We were dealing with a deeded week from a legacy purchase by DRI and not a points based DRI vacation club account so the process may be a little different for others.

Keep copies of everything, and if a 1 party phone call recording is legal in your state, record your calls to DRI (and their calls to you). I have the ACR app on my cell phone and it records all my incoming and outgoing calls and holds the for 3 days. The ones I need, I move to a USB drive to keep. ACR is free for Android phones but costs per month for Apple phones (it's a good app if it's legal to do a 1 party recording in your state - it is in Georgia).

Be persistent in monitoring the status of your request. It is not a fast process and DRI may bobble the ball a little, but it can be done as described on this site.

And thanks to all those who posted the info in this board which helped me through this process. It's not like they advertise deed backs at DRI and the information in this thread was a great help. I can only hope my experience in our deed back I described above will help others.....

I'm also uploaded a copy of the instructions they sent me for what needed to be done on my part in the deed back. I've redacted my info and did not included the actual deed as that will vary by state and what type of deed back or surrender you are making.

Great website and terrific details. I think we will give this a try and if successful I will reply back.

TonyOIB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
Hey everyone! GREAT Forum about the DRI Transitions process. I'm looking for suggestions. I owe about 2K in back fees to DRI and the same in a mortgage and want out SOOO badly. I have been in contact with their "financial" person and told them that I would pay EVERYTHING in full if I could be GUARANTEED I could get out on a Transitions agreement. I was told "Yes for sure" BUT I told them I want that assurance in writing first. OH NO, can't do this in writing, but you definitely will be allowed out once we receive your $$. What to do?? Pay first and HOPE.... or not pay and suffer any consequences? Would anyone here trust them??

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hey everyone! GREAT Forum about the DRI Transitions process. I'm looking for suggestions. I owe about 2K in back fees to DRI and the same in a mortgage and want out SOOO badly. I have been in contact with their "financial" person and told them that I would pay EVERYTHING in full if I could be GUARANTEED I could get out on a Transitions agreement. I was told "Yes for sure" BUT I told them I want that assurance in writing first. OH NO, can't do this in writing, but you definitely will be allowed out once we receive your $$. What to do?? Pay first and HOPE.... or not pay and suffer any consequences? Would anyone here trust them??

When you say everything, do you mean the full mortgage amount or just the payments in arrears?

I don’t think they will take it back if there is any mortgage amount remaining, so they may be just giving you hope so you will pay up what is currently in arrears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TonyOIB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
That's correct. I am willing to pay the balances of ALL I owe. The full mortgage payoff and all the late maintenance fees. All I am asking for if I do that is an assurance that I will actually go into their transition program, not just a "we'll see"

ichthusag

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali Beach Club
Made Transitions req 6/27/2018
Received acceptance email on 6/28/2018.
Papers arrived 8/11/2018
Mailed Notarized docs and $250 check on 8/18/2018
Received oddly worded Acceptance email yesterday (8/22) "You will soon receive the forms required for you to complete and return so that we can move forward with the process." As though this hadn't already happened. Weird.
Waiting for check to clear and account to close on DRI.

Tim_Jones

Reaction score
Hi, first post. I stumbled upon this site trying to get out of an upgrade. I mailed off my rescind letter today, day 6 (of 7), and sent a fax. Keeping fingers crossed. So after listening to a great sales pitch and getting excited I called in to ask an agent about certain situations and almost all they told me was a lie. Shocking right...

Anyway, I now see this thread and I'd be thrilled to get out of my current time-share. Situation is that I own 2 weeks (a 2bdr & studio). Maintenance is paid, timeshare is paid off. I suspect I need to get clear of this round of backing out of this new contract first. Then process a deed-back. Next year I'll have 28000 pts to use. Should I give them to II now?

Also, if I start the deedback process can I avoid paining maintenance fees this Jan? something tells me my timing is off. If I have to pay it do I get it back?

Thanks!
Any advice appreciated!
-Tim

Last edited:

Tim_Jones

Reaction score
I just logged into Transitions and I only see one contract for 3000pts. My other contract for 14500pts doesn't show as being eligible. It's been paid off completely for 2 years now and maintenance fees are current?

Any ideas?

Sorry, must be tied to this current transaction I'm trying to back out of. It pains me to have to pay again at the end of the year. Each contract is $1200/yr.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just logged into Transitions and I only see one contract for 3000pts. My other contract for 14500pts doesn't show as being eligible. It's been paid off completely for 2 years now and maintenance fees are current?

Any ideas?

Sorry, must be tied to this current transaction I'm trying to back out of. It pains me to have to pay again at the end of the year. Each contract is $1200/yr.
Are they resale points or from the developer ? Resale points are not eligible to give back into Transitions program.
Which collection are those points ?

jay_s

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice here !
Had a Monarch Grand Vacations timeshare we rarely used so started the transition process in early April.
Called every month or so, Diamond would always give conflicting information if they sent the termination paperwork or not.
I got the impression that the people Diamond have you call during the transition process don't know whats going on.
Finally middle of July got the termination paperwork, which we returned and the $250 check.
Middle of August the Diamond website said we did not own any Diamond properties. We called Diamond and got confirmation.
So about 4 months start to finish, now we are free thank goodness.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
There is a report on what I call the "Grouchy Facebook Group" (they go ballistic if you mention one of the other two DR FB groups) that the Transitions cost is now $750 per contract. Grrrr, we were planning to give one of our Hawaii contracts back next year and the old $250 price feels pretty painless, $750 not so much.