• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John delays

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
We just got notified that on the Virgin Grand side that buildings 33,34,41,42 are delayed and will not be ready for our check in for Feb24th. They will put us in a similar size villa ....Yada,yada,yada.
Tom

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We just got notified that on the Virgin Grand side that buildings 33,34,41,42 are delayed and will not be ready for our check in for Feb24th. They will put us in a similar size villa ....Yada,yada,yada.
Tom

Wonder what the delay is? Odd that they know now that those 4 will not be ready. Wonder why 31 & 32 will be ready and not 33 & 34? I could understand the buildings around the main pool, but I thought the hillside damage wasn't as catastrophic.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the delay is? Odd that they know now that those 4 will not be ready. Wonder why 31 & 32 will be ready and not 33 & 34? I could understand the buildings around the main pool, but I thought the hillside damage wasn't as catastrophic.

Could it be that their focus for repair is where Vistana owns inventory they would like to be able sell? I’m sure the rationale will be stated as continuing construction on those buildings impact the fewest guests.

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the original notification said we'd be notified in 5 days if we were going to have to be moved for our 2019 stay..... we are well past the 5 day point, has anyone been contacted? We are in bldg. 33 and I haven't heard anything.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I know the original notification said we'd be notified in 5 days if we were going to have to be moved for our 2019 stay..... we are well past the 5 day point, has anyone been contacted? We are in bldg. 33 and I haven't heard anything.

I emailed Samuel Hugli regarding a plumbing issue with our villa (since the drywall is being removed) - he wrote back the next day. You could try him. But I suspect 5 days is not long enough for that decision.

Also, they are not required to give you your exact villa - only equivalent.
Did you ever read my bee story in one of my trip reports? Upon checkin - we were informed that we couldn’t stay in our villa (due to bee hive in wall).

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom
Thanks for the update, I was wondering if they gave you any indication of how long the delay will be. We are scheduled to use our unit in building 41 seven weeks after you. An island delay is normally longer then a stateside delay.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed Samuel Hugli regarding a plumbing issue with our villa (since the drywall is being removed) - he wrote back the next day. You could try him. But I suspect 5 days is not long enough for that decision.

Also, they are not required to give you your exact villa - only equivalent.
Did you ever read my bee story in one of my trip reports? Upon checkin - we were informed that we couldn’t stay in our villa (due to bee hive in wall).

David I do remember your Bee Story. Do you know if they are required to at least put you in a villa with the same amount of bedrooms. We have a three bedroom pool villa and we need all three bedrooms.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David I do remember your Bee Story. Do you know if they are required to at least put you in a villa with the same amount of bedrooms. We have a three bedroom pool villa and we need all three bedrooms.

Yes, they would have to get you a 3Bd, but it could be in other phases.
Hope it works out.

mpc5473

Reaction score
Shockingly, it looks like they wont be done by late March.....

Dear Westin St. John Owner,

The continuing reconstruction efforts of The Westin St. John Resort Villas remain on track for the planned reopening Jan. 4, 2019, as previously communicated. Teams are working diligently to restore your Home Resort, ensuring the same quality standards you’ve come to expect.

While overall construction timelines are anticipated to be met, we do foresee some delays within the Virgin Grand Phase in buildings 33, 34, 41 and 42. To preserve your 2019 vacation reservation at your Home Resort, we have taken measures to secure accommodation in an alternative villa/phase for your scheduled arrival. Please expect receipt of your new reservation confirmation in the same villa type* you have reserved along with a copy of the cancellation of your existing reservation within 10 to 14 business days.

If you are not going to be vacationing at your Home Resort in the 2019 Use Year, the following alternatives are available:
  • Through the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), you can reserve a stay at The Westin St. John Resort Villas for a later date in 2019 or at one of the other 21 villa resorts in the VSN collection, based on availability. Log on to vistana.com to reserve online.
  • Request StarOptions® banking for your 2019 Use Year (valid for use through Dec. 31, 2021).
  • Request assignment of your Week or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort with Interval International® for use through Dec. 31, 2021. While there is no fee to assign your Week or Points Use Right, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.
  • Convert your week to loyalty points from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program for use at more than 6,500 hotels and resorts across 29 unique brands.
To assist with any inquires or reservations, you may contact The Westin St. John Service Team via email at ownerservices.usage@vistana.com or call at 800-579-7153.

Sincerely,
suzanne_clark_sig.png

Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Club Membership Services

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if those particular buildings suffered more damage than others or if there were other problems discovered once they removed the walls, etc.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own fixed week 16 in unit 4111, which this year is April 20-27 and received the same letter yesterday. I have nothing but praise and thanks for the efforts which have been made by Vistana and the Customer Service Department.
I really appreciate the fact that they notified us 8 months in advance. I love St. John, The Virgin Grand Villas and I commend the way Vistana has looked out for us. I am also grateful to TUG and all the members who have helped us so much to make our vacations the best they can be. Thanks!

mpc5473

Reaction score
Respectfully, I would hold off on the "nothing but praise for the efforts." I think Rome was built quicker. They are notifying you early to try to avoid the anger when they fall short of their duties and obligations. They are not looking out for us. As it was previously mentioned, I suspect they are having no problem finishing up on the units they own and need to get sold. Their only motive is their bottom line. Tug and its members, thats another story.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am interested to know if the 2-man inflatable kayak that I left under our villa in B34 a couple months before H.Irma was ever found/used.

It does not surprise me that they are delayed based on what I keep up on regarding how STJ re-development is going. I am sure there are multiple factors (both logistically and financially) that went into decision - certainly not nefarious. Based on what I have observed in past - I am sure many factors were weighed.

Why speculate? Ask the question to VGV HOA Board Members directly if you want to know (I would if it impacted me). There are buildings VGV that are not affected by this notice. I am sure their emails are in the WSJ thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksqdomer

Reaction score
Building 33 week 25 (end of June). no letter.......yet.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I am interested to know if the 2-man inflatable kayak that I left under our villa in B34 a couple months before H.Irma was ever found/used.

I didn't think to look for someplace like that for ours... I hauled it back home. What kind of space is available under the unit? (Oh yeah and I was in Bay Vista last spring, not in our VGV unit. I can only imagine the reaction if I had trudged up the hill to stash my boat o_O)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
We were notified for a Week 15 reservation that our pool villa would not be ready.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, I would hold off on the "nothing but praise for the efforts." I think Rome was built quicker. They are notifying you early to try to avoid the anger when they fall short of their duties and obligations. They are not looking out for us. As it was previously mentioned, I suspect they are having no problem finishing up on the units they own and need to get sold. Their only motive is their bottom line. Tug and its members, thats another story.

"ISLAND TIME," is anyone surprised?

WSJ could have all of the contractors from the mainland USA (or some other resource-rich country) they want, but one can't change the issues with getting personnel and materials to the island of St. John, or the ingrained "Island Time" culture and mindset, which in all honesty, is one of the very reasons why guests chose to vacation on St. John. Then, there's Hurricane Season 2018, and Lord knows what delays that may produce.

I remember waiting almost an hour for oatmeal, at breakfast, at the primary restaurant that serves breakfast at the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef. The waitress (who spent much of her life holding two jobs, one at Frenchman's Reef, and the other at WSJ (so that she could put her two boys through college)), told me that I needed to chill out, and not rush the oatmeal from cooking. She told me, when it's ready, I'll get it.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is banking Star Options until 12/31/21 better (longer) than the usual SO banking rule?

Is converting to loyalty points (is that what was known as Starpoints?) only available to resale owners, and would that be a good deal compared to usual?

Trying to think ahead to my week 28 which is July.

TIA.

Shockingly, it looks like they wont be done by late March.....

If you are not going to be vacationing at your Home Resort in the 2019 Use Year, the following alternatives are available:
  • Through the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), you can reserve a stay at The Westin St. John Resort Villas for a later date in 2019 or at one of the other 21 villa resorts in the VSN collection, based on availability. Log on to vistana.com to reserve online.
  • Request StarOptions® banking for your 2019 Use Year (valid for use through Dec. 31, 2021).
  • Request assignment of your Week or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort with Interval International® for use through Dec. 31, 2021. While there is no fee to assign your Week or Points Use Right, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.
  • Convert your week to loyalty points from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program for use at more than 6,500 hotels and resorts across 29 unique brands.
To assist with any inquires or reservations, you may contact The Westin St. John Service Team via email at ownerservices.usage@vistana.com or call at 800-579-7153.

Sincerely,
suzanne_clark_sig.png

Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Club Membership Services

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Is banking Star Options until 12/31/21 better (longer) than the usual SO banking rule?

Is converting to loyalty points (is that what was known as Starpoints?) only available to resale owners, and would that be a good deal compared to usual?

Trying to think ahead to my week 28 which is July.

TIA.

StarOptions banking until 12/31/2021 for a 2019 Use Year is just normal StarOptions banking. Not longer than normal. Also, converting to Starpoints/Marriott points is available only for developer or requalified purchase contracts -- not resale.

Note that my April week hasn't been canceled; I've only been informed that I will be placed in a different villa of the same type. I would imagine your July week would be on similar or better footing.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received notification today that we are being switched to a three-bedroom in The Bay Vista Villas. Can anyone help me with where this group of villas is located on property. Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
B24-27

3D5ADA07-C0CC-4741-8423-86D83F21F919.jpeg
We received notification today that we are being switched to a three-bedroom in The Bay Vista Villas. Can anyone help me with where this group of villas is located on property. Thanks!

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded into a 3 bedroom in building 25 using our WKORVN star options. That was our first time to St. John and we loved it. It was a quick walk to the pool as well as to the lobby to catch a cab or rent a car. I am looking forward to going back even though it is a bit of a production traveling from So Cal.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks beachlynn, good to know! We are so spoiled and in love with our pool villa and all the space it provides for us to spread out. Our normal family vacation since 2005 has been to drive to a beach and hang out all day then grab supplies at Starfish Market on the way home. Then the kids jump in our villa pool, guys fire up the grill, gals toss a salad and everyone kicks back until dinner. The most important thing we do all evening is decide which beach to go to the next day and who will win the cannon ball pool contest.
This is what we call St John living at it's best.

The dynamics of our family are changing as the kids are growing up and two are heading to college next year. Sadly our pool villa and week 16 vacation may be put on hold for a few more years. Not having the use of our pool villa in 2018 and 2019 are disappointing to us, but like I said we are spoiled. We are looking forward to seeing how St John is recovering after so much devastation.