• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WLR

DTD1990

Reaction score
I recall awhile back that there was some speculation that the existing StarOptions at WLR would be increased to match some of the StarOption requirements for new ocean front Vistana offerings. Does anyone have any update on this?

I own two Platinum+ weeks (even years) that have 148,100 Staroptions each and are good for a 2br l/o ocean view, but I note that many of the beachfront views (for example for the new Cabo property or Hawaii properties) require 176,000 points.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i may be wrong but i think that it is very impractical for Vistana to start changing SOs at existing resorts. Besides making everyone that does not own at the resort unhappy, they used the number of Staroptions in the deeds of Westin flex, Aventuras, Sheraton flex so i am not sure how they would go around that.

They just increase the number of staroptions for new properties because they can make more money by selling more SOs and charge more MFs for the same real estate. It is not only Nanea, at Steamboat 2 small bedrooms (same size as 1 bedroom elsewhere) has a high number of points, same with Westin Cancun (not Lagunamar) where the 2 bedroom condos are small and half are on the lagoon side but are all valued at the same number of SOs as Lagunamar.

So the bottom line is, they do it when and if it suits them not the owners

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There was a thought that they may change the StarOptions for the Ocean Side units at WLR when they added the new property in Cancun. That didn't happen, so I wouldn't expect it to happen now. Had they added a new phase WLR and wanted to better the sales prospects , it is possible that they would have increased them like they did at the two Maui properties. Since WLR was just about sold out, perhaps it didn't make sense.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Be glad you have even the 148,100. When they first marketed WLR the top week was ~90k (not 81k), and I remember discussing this with sales during an update (back when I did those...). SVN had to change the SOs there in order to sell the weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be glad you have even the 148,100. When they first marketed WLR the top week was ~90k (not 81k), and I remember discussing this with sales during an update (back when I did those...). SVN had to change the SOs there in order to sell the weeks.

90k... I would love that, my Staroptions from SVV would go so far at Lagunamar! Unfortunately (or fortunately for the OP) this is not happening either.

I assume that the sale you attended was not at Lagunamar, they would have told you that you are getting 148,100 but it should be 250,000.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I assume that the sale you attended was not at Lagunamar, they would have told you that you are getting 148,100 but it should be 250,000.

This particular update was not there since it was years before WLR opened. I distinctly recall the "expert" sales staff telling me that the SO which is included is more than adequate since, after all, I would love WLR so much I would never trade (which of course negates the premise of the club in the first place, but whatever...logic isn't part of their sales strategy anyway...).

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This particular update was not there since it was years before WLR opened. I distinctly recall the "expert" sales staff telling me that the SO which is included is more than adequate since, after all, I would love WLR so much I would never trade (which of course negates the premise of the club in the first place, but whatever...logic isn't part of their sales strategy anyway...).

I do love Lagunamar, but boy, they anticipated that years before the resort was even opened. With that kind of foresight that guy must be now at least vice-chair at a fortune 500 company!