• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Kingsland II versus The Bay Club

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
My wife and I will be staying at II in September but are considering changing to The Bay Club instead. We have stayed at Kings I and II as well as the Bay Club in the past but found the II one bedrooms all face the parking lot. The lanai's in II are small and frankly too cramped to really enjoy. The layouts at Bay are bigger and the Lanai's are huge compared to II. We are California beach people and spend most of our time there and jump in the pool to rinse off at the end of the day. To me unless III has a better set up for the one bedrooms the only thing going for staying at Kings are the pools unless I am missing something about the layouts. We stayed in II in building 21 before so that is our only experience with II so are the other buildings similar? Thanks, Curt

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Another option to consider if it works would be HGVC Kohsla Suites if a 2 bd will work for you. If you stay at Kohala, you get access to all of the amenities at Kingsland included (pools, towels, parking, tram). There is also a small pool there.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at Bay Club (multiple times) and Kohala once. Never stayed at KL, but the location is quite unappealing as is the big, sprawling feel. The bar there is far superior to the others, by a long shot, but easy to visit. Definitely not worth the additional points to stay there.

Also, this choice/comparison has been discussed at length previously. One example

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-me-pick-my-waikoloa-location.261742/

Cheers.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
So, do all the one bedrooms in II and III face onto the parking lot or is one of the buildings better than the other. Frankly, we found our bottom floor lanai for our one bedroom in 21 pretty useless. To us having a nice Lanai means more than a bigger pool.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've stayed at Bay Club (multiple times) and Kohala once. Never stayed at KL, but the location is quite unappealing as is the big, sprawling feel. The bar there is far superior to the others, by a long shot, but easy to visit. Definitely not worth the additional points to stay there.

Also, this choice/comparison has been discussed at length previously. One example

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-me-pick-my-waikoloa-location.261742/

Cheers.
I could have written this post. Our experience is the same. Love Bay Club for the larger units. Don't feel the need to use the pools and facilities at the Hilton Waikoloa resort, so that part isn't a factor.

Bay Club and Kohala share pools, meaning you can use either of those pools if you are staying at those resorts.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
My family and I stayed at both Kingsland and Bay Club this summer. We had a 2 bedroom in phase II (I think) at Kingsland for the first part of our stay. We had originally made reservations for the larger 1 bedroom (I), but ended up finding a 2 bedroom that was actually less points. The 2 bedroom in building 21 was plenty spacious enough, had a nice lanai, a beautiful view of the golf course and mountains, and a 2nd bedroom for the kids. I think all the 1 bedrooms in II & III face the parking lot if I remember correctly.

I was not particularly happy with the 1 bedroom we had at Bay Club for the last part of our stay on the Big Island. I was told that all the 1 bedrooms face the parking lot and ours was no exception. The space was good, even though it was a 1 bedroom, I guess I just don't like flying all the way to Hawaii to stare at the parking lot when I'm back at the unit for the evening. Call me crazy if you'd like!

So, next time we visit the Big Island, we'll definitely stay at Kingsland! I thought the rooms and resort itself were much nicer. Our kids loved the pools and we enjoyed the pool bar. ;)

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could have written this post. Our experience is the same. Love Bay Club for the larger units. Don't feel the need to use the pools and facilities at the Hilton Waikoloa resort, so that part isn't a factor.

We very much enjoy the Lagoon pool at Hilton Waikoloa, so we did that. Since Bay Club and Kohala are basically the same points structure, it's a toss-up if one wants a 2BR (although the second bedroom was pretty small). We usually prefer 1BR, so Bay Club for just the two of us.

I was not particularly happy with the 1 bedroom we had at Bay Club for the last part of our stay on the Big Island. I was told that all the 1 bedrooms face the parking lot and ours was no exception.

Some on the upper floors face the golf course. We've had them. They're a different category (and I forgot what it's called) and cost a few more points.

So, next time we visit the Big Island, we'll definitely stay at Kingsland! I thought the rooms and resort itself were much nicer. Our kids loved the pools and we enjoyed the pool bar. ;)

Aside from the bar, nothing about Kingsland appeals to us. And this is why they make multiple resorts for all of us :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have not heard much about Kohala suites however there have been some really good Ebay deals recently.

How does Kohala compare to Bay Club units?
Is there ROFR on Kohala since they are HGVC?
Can Kohala use the Waikoloa hotel lagoon and pools for free? If not what is the fee to access?
Any other considerations?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not heard much about Kohala suites however there have been some really good Ebay deals recently.

Generally smaller units, otherwise very similar. Access to the same pools and bars on that site.
No clue
Can Kohala use the Waikoloa hotel lagoon and pools for free? If not what is the fee to access?
Free
Really, room size and Hilton access are the only things I can think of from a staying PoV. Not sure about from a buying perspective.

Cheers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

I owned at Kohala and yes there is ROFR. I paid $6500 for a 7000 point unit. I used it 3 years and sold it for $6500.

Kohala gets to use the hotel pools and park for free. You can charge to your room as well.

Kohala can use the Kingsland pools for I think $15 a day.

BTW, anyone can use the lagoon. You just have to bring your own towels. All beach is public access in Hawaii.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, anyone can use the lagoon. You just have to bring your own towels. All beach is public access in Hawaii.

And that part is considered regular beach, I guess, as opposed to something Hilton built? So, they won't be bothered that we don't have wristbands if we have our own towels?

Very cool!

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree that the Bay Club 1br are better than KL2 1br even though both face parking lots.

Even though its just 2 of us we stay in the KL2 2br on the first floor for just a few points more. Buildings 21/22 are right across from the clubhouse and pools, closer than some of the outer KL1 buildings. We haven’t stayed at KL3 yet.

We like the happy hour and pools in the evening at KL, having a separate adult section is a plus and my wife likes that the pool is larger and shallow all over, she doesn’t like the deep end at the Bay Club main pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks. If you have access to the hotel pools why you would need access to Kingsland?

May I ask why you sold?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

CalGalTraveler,

The Bay Club units are larger. The internal layouts are a matter of preference. The views are basically the same. (Maybe a few units at Bay Club have a marginally better view, depending on how you measure view.)

There is no ROFR for Bay Club. This can be perceived as either a plus or minus. (Cheaper in, but cheaper out for Bay Club, versus Kohala Suites,)

Kohala Suites are pure Hilton. You can get more access at other Hilton TS properties, both nearby and for trading, all built into the MFs.

Kohala Suites have higher maintenance fees, but not dramatically so.

Bay Club does not require joining HGVC. That does 2 things. Limits your trading to RCI exchanges, (at RCI costs), and lowers the MFs. (I save around $200 a year USD by not being a member of HGVC. Note, I have the most expensive straight 2 BDR/2Bth units, with the narrowest margin for cost savings.) Unlike another competitor, you can choose to pay for HGVC any time you choose to join.

What do you want from a time share? Different people, different wants. . . .

Also note, Bay Club and Kohala Suites form one big complex, with a single check in point. From the outside, the only way you can tell them apart is a slight difference in stone on the buildings. (Kohala is closer to the check in.)

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Kohala Suites are pure Hilton. You can get more access at other Hilton TS properties, both nearby and for trading, all built into the MFs.

What do you mean you get more access at other Hilton TS properties ?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

My guess, he is referencing that Bay Club owners don't have to join HGVC vs. Kohala or Kings Land where the HGVC membership is mandatory. With Bay Club you can save a few buck by not activating your unit into HGVC, but are then limited to only staying at Bay Club or trading via RCI.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Bay Club does not require joining HGVC. That does 2 things. Limits your trading to RCI exchanges, (at RCI costs), and lowers the MFs. (I save around $200 a year USD by not being a member of HGVC. Note, I have the most expensive straight 2 BDR/2Bth units, with the narrowest margin for cost savings.) Unlike another competitor, you can choose to pay for HGVC any time you choose to join.

What do you want from a time share? Different people, different wants. . . .

No savings if you are already in hgvc and paying club dues already. You pay just one annual fee no matter how many units you have enrolled in hgvc. To enroll Bay club units into hgvc it was a one time $250 charge to enroll all eligible units you wanted to. Then it changed to $250 per unit and per interval for enrollment. But those costs have definitley changed as my experience has been 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

My bad, I wasn't specific enough. To access the Waikiola pool, staying at Bay Club, cost more per day that for other Hilton timeshares in the area. The owners consistently vote down proposals to pay more MF's to include Waikiola pool access. If you would never go to that pool, then you save money. Otherwise, you pay more for the access. There may be others. (I keep my stay "plain vanilla", buying at Costco, and cooking in. Billing to the room? Who 'dat? Your choices may vary. . . )

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
To access the Waikiola pool, staying at Bay Club, cost more per day that for other Hilton timeshares in the area. The owners consistently vote down proposals to pay more MF's to include Waikiola pool access. If you would never go to that pool, then you save money. Otherwise, you pay more for the access.

There is a contention in another active thread that every has access to the Lagoon pool (provided they bring their own towel) as this is "beach" and all beaches on Hawai'i are open to all. Certainly sounds good, but I'm still not sure that there isn't a catch.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a contention in another active thread that every has access to the Lagoon pool (provided they bring their own towel) as this is "beach" and all beaches on Hawai'i are open to all. Certainly sounds good, but I'm still not sure that there isn't a catch.

Cheers.

There is a small beach access free parking lot (25 spaces) across from the entrance to the hotel parking lot (pay). Technically you can walk to the lagoon beach but its a long walk.

69a0cde347757ff87915bd1b020b2d02.png

I would just park at A-Bay, its a lot closer to the beach. It serves as the public access for the Marriott hotel beach.

All the resorts have to provide public beach access.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a small beach access free parking lot (25 spaces) across from the entrance to the hotel parking lot (pay). Technically you can walk to the lagoon beach but its a long walk.

I would just park at A-Bay, its a lot closer to the beach. It serves as the public access for the Marriott hotel beach.

All the resorts have to provide public beach access.

We'd be staying at Bay Club, so we'd just walk down, so the car thing is not an issue. But if we can just walk onto the Lagoon pool via their piece of beach, that would be cool. Just not sure.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We'd be staying at Bay Club, so we'd just walk down, so the car thing is not an issue. But if we can just walk onto the Lagoon pool via their piece of beach, that would be cool. Just not sure.

Cheers.

I’ve done it every time staying at BC, just take your own towel. The only thing you can’t access are the slides, they require the wristband.

Walk across and enter the hotel property at the service shed, there is a walking path to Buhdda Point for the easiest access.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it every time staying at BC, just take your own towel. The only thing you can’t access are the slides, they require the wristband.

Walk across and enter the hotel property at the service shed, there is a walking path to Buhdda Point for the easiest access.

Cool, thanks. I know that path past the service shed well :)

We will have to do this next time,

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I thought the Lagoon was private? They have hotel chaise lounges lining it...

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

I think we went that way; it was the first road we came across past bldg 1 of Bay Club.
We walked on the backside of the Ocean Tower to Buddha point, and then down around the other side past the water slides. Is that the way you've gone?

We never made it to Lagoon beach though. Next time...