• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why was SVN split into 2 "vacation clubs" Westin and Sheraton?

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
I have not noticed any difference in how the internal exchange system operates. Is it a marketing effort to uplift the Westin properties for developer sales? :shrug:. I am just curious if there was reason anyone may know of..

Thanks! B

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My guess is because the blended MF's for the Westin Club is higher but you can still sell the points at a higher price point with the higher MF"s based on the higher luxury of the Westin brand. The Sheraton blended MF's are pretty high too but you can discount the sale price on the points to get someone in the door and roped in as an owner or upgraded owner.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The split is really only for marketing purposes anyway. Though now that they have the two separate flex products, they can distinguish the products more. They also have a few properties that don't carry either the Westin or Sheraton brands. Think Vistana's Beach Club. Though it is included in the Sheraton Flex portfolio. I am not sure if this is because Vistana hasn't been one to push the HOAs at these properties to do the upgrades needed to bring them up to brand standards to carry the name. Perhaps once MVC takes over, they will make that push.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that there is also Aventuras Flex, comprising the ones in Mexico (Lagunamar - Cancun and Cabo). Sales folks said when Costa Rica timeshare comes on board, it will also be added to Aventuras.

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned since 2005 and there have been 2 distinct segments going back at least this far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
They are trying to segment the market to increase their sales/profits.

I had thought the same, until they put a high end ski property into the Sheraton trust and started construction at the Sheraton Kauai property (which logically will go into the Sheraton trust).

Starwood/Vistana has made a mishmash of their system: voluntary properties, mandatory properties, HomeOptions (Nanea), Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Florida Club. I honestly believe their planning department is incompetent -- but I love their Hawaii resorts.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I had thought the same, until they put a high end ski property into the Sheraton trust and started construction at the Sheraton Kauai property (which logically will go into the Sheraton trust).

Starwood/Vistana has made a mishmash of their system: voluntary properties, mandatory properties, HomeOptions (Nanea), Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Florida Club. I honestly believe their planning department is incompetent -- but I love their Hawaii resorts.

I thought Florida Club was part of the Marriott Vacation Club, not Vistana?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Don't forget that there is also Aventuras Flex, comprising the ones in Mexico (Lagunamar - Cancun and Cabo). Sales folks said when Costa Rica timeshare comes on board, it will also be added to Aventuras.

I don’t believe Vistana owns any properties in Costa Rica. To my knowledge no Starwood hotels were spun off or sold to Vistana in the timeshare spin-off transaction .

My guess since it came from sales that it’s just fluff. Costa Rica would be nice, but it’s wishful thinking.

Back to the OP question, I can see a reason to have multiple vacation programs would be to continue ownership churn / future sales and a reason to get folks to “upgrade” again, pay huge money again and create one gigantic combined points program, bringing all together, given lack of brand new inventory historically. Secondly, It also gives sales an immediate opportunity to sell one program against another and trying to get people to switch back and forth. I remember talking to someone by the pool recently that owns Sheraton Flex and in her update they tried to sell her on trading in and “upgrading” / switching to Aventuras for a nice hefty cost. Fortunately she declined it, but those pitches are happening.....as previously stated, it’s totally for marketing purposes.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don’t believe Vistana owns any properties in Costa Rica. To my knowledge no Starwood hotels were spun off or sold to Vistana in the timeshare spin-off transaction .

My guess since it came from sales that it’s just fluff. Costa Rica would be nice, but it’s wishful thinking.

. . .

I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said that it is just sales fluff!

In ILG's most recent 10-K it does not show any Vistana property holdings in Costa Rica. So if there is a Costa Rica timeshare in the future it is several years into the future.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The SVN was originally cobbled together with resorts that they bought from other companies. Most of them were designated as "Sheraton" resorts.

When Starwood started building their own SVN resorts from the ground up, the new properties were designated as "Westin Resorts." I think this is because they were the new, top tier resorts in the SVN, and they were a notch above the Sheraton resorts.

That's my theory - YMMV.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly believe their planning department is incompetent

Perhaps at the beginning (creating mandatory resorts), but caught up and made brilliant moves for the shareholders and the sales forces...The churning is simply brilliant.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The SVN was originally cobbled together with resorts that they bought from other companies. Most of them were designated as "Sheraton" resorts.

When Starwood started building their own SVN resorts from the ground up, the new properties were designated as "Westin Resorts." I think this is because they were the new, top tier resorts in the SVN, and they were a notch above the Sheraton resorts.

That's my theory - YMMV.
This seems to be the case, at least for most properties. However, the Westin St John was one of the original properties that they bought, if not the first? And it carries the Westin Name. All of the old Vistana properties have either Sheraton or no brand attached. Any hotel conversions seem to be Sheratons also.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, that's why I said "most," I think Starwood viewed WSJ as a resort that belonged in the top tier.

Most recently, they have deviated from this with the 3 newest resorts in Mexico that they bought from someone else, but that may have been an ILG decision.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Back to the OP question, I can see a reason to have multiple vacation programs would be to continue ownership churn / future sales and a reason to get folks to “upgrade” again, pay huge money again and create one gigantic combined points program, bringing all together, given lack of brand new inventory historically. Secondly, It also gives sales an immediate opportunity to sell one program against another and trying to get people to switch back and forth. I remember talking to someone by the pool recently that owns Sheraton Flex and in her update they tried to sell her on trading in and “upgrading” / switching to Aventuras for a nice hefty cost. Fortunately she declined it, but those pitches are happening.....as previously stated, it’s totally for marketing purposes.
I think this is very true.

In CR they manage the condos by the Westin Playa Conchal. Could those be added to the network like the AZ property that joined for a while and then left.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yes, that's why I said "most," I think Starwood viewed WSJ as a resort that belonged in the top tier.

Most recently, they have deviated from this with the 3 newest resorts in Mexico that they bought from someone else, but that may have been an ILG decision.

My perception is it has nothing to do really with who bought them or developed them, but it's just like Starwood designated certain hotels as Sheraton and others as Westin. The two brands were always positioned differently and targeted at different demographics. Sheraton was always viewed as a nice, upscale, full-service hotel brand, but Westin was always targeted at least a notch or two above Sheraton and was known for more luxury. So, the properties they wanted to price higher and target toward a more affluent tier they designated as Westin.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think this is very true.

In CR they manage the condos by the Westin Playa Conchal. Could those be added to the network like the AZ property that joined for a while and then left.
I think it matters who owns the property. Like Los Cabos, Sheraton Kauai, and the Westin Cancun. Those were spunoff with the timeshare division. So Vistana actually owned the property. Who actually owns the Westin Playa Conchal? Probably some investor that had Starwood manage the property for them. Starwood managed a lot of properties around the world.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

When I attended an owners' update at Westin Mission Hills, the salesperson asked if I had heard of Aventuras and I said yes and it comprised current and future Mexico timeshare. She said in a condescending manner and said "It is not just timeshare in Mexico. Costa Rica will be in it when it comes onboard." I said whatever.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The Westin Vacation Club and Sheraton Vacation Club names have existed for quite a while -
well before the the name change of this forum to VSE.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
That Costa Rica property has been around for quite awhile. When Starwood spun off the timeshares, that property was not one that was released to ILG in the sale. Starwood gave ILG corporate owned property that needed to be redeveloped. CR is marketed as an all inclusive which is different for a Starwood property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
That Costa Rica property has been around for quite awhile. When Starwood spun off the timeshares, that property was not one that was released to ILG in the sale. Starwood gave ILG corporate owned property that needed to be redeveloped. CR is marketed as an all inclusive which is different for a Starwood property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you discussing The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal?