• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite Night Credit on Vistana Stays

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Per the leaked new T&C of the merged SPG and MR programs. It looks like nights stayed at Vistana properties will start counting toward Elite Night credit. I wonder, will this extend to owner stays?

7.2 Vistana Signature Experiences
7.2.a Vistana Signature Experiences Additional Information.

7.2.b Vistana Participating Properties. Due to the nature of Vistana properties, special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program as follows:

i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Vistana properties.

ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Vistana properties.

iii. Eligible Loyalty Program Members may also earn Points or Miles through Rewarding EventsSM when they book and hold qualifying Events at Vistana properties.

iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Vistana properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Guaranteed Room Type, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, or Your24.

iv. Free Night Awards at Vistana properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival. Vistana properties either do not participate or do not fully participate in the “No Blackout Dates” benefit at this time.

https://pastebin.com/BKQxCSNC

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Per the leaked new T&C of the merged SPG and MR programs. It looks like nights stayed at Vistana properties will start counting toward Elite Night credit. I wonder, will this extend to owner stays?

7.2 Vistana Signature Experiences
7.2.a Vistana Signature Experiences Additional Information.

7.2.b Vistana Participating Properties. Due to the nature of Vistana properties, special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program as follows:

i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Vistana properties.

ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Vistana properties.

iii. Eligible Loyalty Program Members may also earn Points or Miles through Rewarding EventsSM when they book and hold qualifying Events at Vistana properties.

iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Vistana properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Guaranteed Room Type, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, or Your24.

iv. Free Night Awards at Vistana properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival. Vistana properties either do not participate or do not fully participate in the “No Blackout Dates” benefit at this time.

https://pastebin.com/BKQxCSNC

When I read this I was concerned because the definition of "Qualifying Stay" discusses paying a "Qualifying Rate". However, that same language (7.2.b.i.) is also in the section for MVC members and MVC members have been earning elite night credits for their stays.

I'm happy!!!!

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
When in August does this take effect?? I assume the 18th, the same date as the points merger???

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
oh...this could affect the justification for the MR/SPG credit cards, right? It would make things a bunch easier with an extra xx nights... from ownership stays

edited: It would be very nice if all our timeshare stays counted as elite nites.......that would be 7 nites (14 for lock-off?) of extra credit.

sorry for the confusing first post.

Last edited:

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be a huge benefit add (at little/no cost to Marriott). Hopefully someone with an upcoming owner stay can confirm if this is indeed the case (and based on the IT woes of the past few days, I might not expect this work right away even if that is indeed their intent).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Seems to be official. From an email I received today from Vistana;

For the first time ever, Owners will now earn credit on their ownership stays toward higher membership tiers in the new loyalty program (Platinum Elite, Lifetime, etc.).

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Seems to be official. From an email I received today from Vistana;

For the first time ever, Owners will now earn credit on their ownership stays toward higher membership tiers in the new loyalty program (Platinum Elite, Lifetime, etc.).

I just saw the same email. Great news!

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
What does this mean for resale owners?

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Just read the email we received. This is great news! We usually stay 10 or 11 nights a couple of times per year.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
What does this mean for resale owners?
Nothing. Should get same benefit as direct purchases.

Dioxide did you mean to say that voluntary resale owners will not get the night credits?
That's how I interpreted the email because it began with "As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network (VSN).."
So my take is that mandatory resale owners who have to be in VSN with star options will get the nightly credits, as well as direct(developer) purchase owners.
But voluntary resale owners likely not :(

Did anyone with just a voluntary resale unit get the email?

Even with the TS night credit stays and the 15 nights from the Starwood Amex, DH or I would earn Gold Elite maybe half of the time.
But we get Gold Elite anyway by virtue of the TS purchase.
No way could we get 50 night credits a year, unless it was all additive to the Gold Elite :D...wishful thinking!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dioxide did you mean to say that voluntary resale owners will not get the night credits?
That's how I interpreted the email because it began with "As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network (VSN).."
So my take is that mandatory resale owners who have to be in VSN with star options will get the nightly credits, as well as direct(developer) purchase owners.
But voluntary resale owners likely not :(

Did anyone with just a voluntary resale unit get the email?

Even with the TS night credit stays and the 15 nights from the Starwood Amex, DH or I would earn Gold Elite maybe half of the time.
But we get Gold Elite anyway by virtue of the TS purchase.
No way could we get 50 night credits a year, unless it was all additive to the Gold Elite :D...wishful thinking!
We only own mandatory. However the first paragraph is the only part that mentions VSN. The actual bullet about elite night credit only reference "ownership stays". I suspect that should really apply to everyone. I also don't really see how they will be able to distinguish this at the reservation level. With Marriott, people often get credit for II exchanges by simply adding their MR number to the reservation, either ahead of time or at checkin. I suspect it will all work the same with Sheraton and Vistana Vacation Club properties.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does 1 night in a 2 bdrm condo count the same as a night in a studio?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We only own mandatory. However only the first paragraph is the only part that mentions VSN. The actual bullet about elite night credit only reference "ownership stays". I suspect that should really apply to everyone. I also don't really see how they will be able to distinguish this at the reservation level. With Marriott, people often get credit for II exchanges by simply adding their MR number to the reservation, either ahead of time or at checkin. I suspect it will all work the same with Sheraton and Vistana Vacation Club properties.

But the resorts do distinguish now between the different types of reservations when making unit assignments.
They know who are the owners vs the star option exchanges vs the II/RCI exchanges vs cash hotel stays.
So maybe voluntary owners staying at their own home resort should get nightly credit. But if they exchange in external trading system, then they don't ??

I think Marriott has a different agreement-arrangement with II on exchanges than Vistana, for owners who are not in the DC.
Would be really nice to get nightly credit even when I put my units out for II exchange!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But the resorts do distinguish now between the different types of reservations when making unit assignments.
They know who are the owners vs the star option exchanges vs the II/RCI exchanges vs cash hotel stays.
So maybe voluntary owners staying at their own home resort should get nightly credit. But if they exchange in external trading system, then they don't ??
Perhaps, but I am just going based off how MVC has done this for years. They haven't ever distinguished between ownership types or even exchange vs ownership stay. The properties will all be working off of the Marriott reservation system (if not now at least sometime in the future). So I expect it to work just the same.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree, this is great news for those who own Vistana. I was always disappointed that SPG didn’t award stay nights for owners staying in Starwood/Vistana resorts. Add one for Marriott for applying a good policy for SPG members.

Best regards.

Mike

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would think nights are nights, regardless of heads on beds, I.e. unit size. So if you like to go during low season and/or smaller units to stretch points, so much the better.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
I would think nights are nights, regardless of heads on beds, I.e. unit size. So if you like to go during low season and/or smaller units to stretch points, so much the better.

Yes I was just thinking the same thing -- if you took a boatload of star options and then used them to get 4 weeks at a low-season resort (e.g. plantation around January) then you could get a lot of Marriott stay credit

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm at a resort this week and will check my account next week to see if my stay was counted correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
This might actually make up for taking away the 'gold' benefits.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
oh...this could affect the justification for the MR/SPG credit cards, right? It would make things a bunch easier with an extra xx nights... from ownership stays

edited: It would be very nice if all our timeshare stays counted as elite nites.......that would be 7 nites (14 for lock-off?) of extra credit.

sorry for the confusing first post.

I do like the idea of combining the stays with something like the Marriott Premier Plus. Might consider the card if I can stack the additional nights + Vistana stays.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do like the idea of combining the stays with something like the Marriott Premier Plus. Might consider the card if I can stack the additional nights + Vistana stays.

I read the terms of the Premier credit card, and there's only one 15 nite credit from any of the Marriott or Starwood Spg credit cards. Too bad they're not additive per card.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes.... but 15 from the card plus timeshare stays
that makes the remaining nights much more doable.
Especially with locking-off

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes.... but 15 from the card plus timeshare stays
that makes the remaining nights much more doable.
Especially with locking-off

Yes to get to Gold, but Platinum is still quite a stretch unless you have 2 lockoffs. DH and I don't do any business travel. I think the old Marriott gold is the new Platinum.