• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Residences New York - Initial Impressions

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We just checked in for our first stay. We are in a one bedroom premier.

Elevator from the lobby goes to floor 34 (?) to 44. 44 is the check in floor for The Residences. Thus the elevator also serves Hilton Club - New York.

Small check in desk near the elevators. Owners lounge is at the end of this floor. Entire floor (which was hotel rooms) has been taken over by The Residences. Rooms 4401 to 4455. Floor 45 and 46 appear to have only 6 rooms each and are at the owner lounge end of the floor. Good news is a new elevator going from 44 to 46 only so no waits like between floors at The Hilton Club - New York.

At the other end for floors 45 and 46 is the sales center, which is some of the most amazing space in the building. I believe it is the part that was actually Conrad Hilton's penthouse. Amazing views of Central Park from two story windows and a beautiful spiral staircase.

Everything is quite nice and the rooms look very much like the pictures on the website. However, I'm far from overwhelmed for the price and the point cost. We mostly look at other buildings with a sneak peak of the Hudson River if you stand at the window.

Owners lounge does have some views of central park on one side. Breakfast hours (owners only) is 7 to 10:30 (vs 11 at W 57th St). Evening reception 5 to 7.

I'll do a full review later. We are here 5 days and then come back after a few days elsewhere to 2 nights in the one bedroom penthouse.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
(May want to change the title to indicate that this is New York, since there are other "The Residences.")

Would be interesting to know how the offerings in the lounge for breakfast and evening reception compare to W. 57th.

We used to own at Hilton Club, and the veeeerrrrrrryyyyy slow elevators were one of the worst parts. Don't expect that this is any better since it;s the same elevator system. W 57th was substantially better in this regard.

We'll be staying at the Hilton for a special rate (with a mandatory "update" :)) over Labor Day. Currently in the hotel, but still trying to see if we can switch to W. 57th, or The Residences.

Cheers.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks for your first impressions. I'm curious to know how well insulated the units are for sound. When staying at Hilton Club, I could hear people snoring in the room next to mine. Enjoy your stay! Are you seeing any shows?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for your first impressions. I'm curious to know how well insulated the units are for sound. When staying at Hilton Club, I could hear people snoring in the room next to mine. Enjoy your stay! Are you seeing any shows?

Wow. Did not know that. I have never heard any neighbors at W57. Of course it is a purpose-built timeshare and it it newer. The Hilton Club and residences are refurbs of mid-century building.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Did not know that. I have never heard any neighbors at W57. Of course it is a purpose-built timeshare and it it newer. The Hilton Club and residences are refurbs of mid-century building.

Hell, given how few units there re per floor at W. 57th, I rarely see any neighbors, much less hear!

Cheers.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It could just be me. I've stayed there a few times, and it was always fine. But the last time, for whatever reason, I had super auditory powers :rolleyes:.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
No noise problems that I've noticed. It does sort of amaze me that you can hear car horns 44 floors up.

FWIW I was a horrible snorer before I started on my CPAP. I have had hotel security check on me twice due to complaints. So you may just have had a super snorer vs a building problem.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No noise problems that I've noticed. It does sort of amaze me that you can hear car horns 44 floors up.

FWIW I was a horrible snorer before I started on my CPAP. I have had hotel security check on me twice due to complaints. So you may just have had a super snorer vs a building problem.

So hotel security would wake you up to tell you that people were complaining about your snoring?! Wow, I've never thought to do that before. I'm sure I had a super snorer neighbor.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

We were also amazed at hearing the horns and noise in Times Square on one of the top floors of the DoubleTree with the windows closed. Made us appreciate the relative 'quiet' of W57.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I have owned at HCNY for two years and have yet to stay there as I have been burning through the thousand of "bonus points" but interested indeed as to what others have to say about the club. I have been to 57th St. many times as my brother is an owner there. I do think the 57th has a far better lounge, services, and arguably location but I was impressed at the rooms at HCNY. When I was there they were relatively new and looked beautiful. A little surprised with reports of noise issues but as was noted above it is reconverted from an old hotel HGVC 57 was built as a time share.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I owned 5250 pts at W57 since 2011, but got suckered into ‘upgrading’ to Kings Land 2BR (14kpts) New Years week to become Elite in 2015. I then had regret as it was hard to book as a non-owner. So I bought 3750 back into W57 in 2016 knowing that I could use my Kings Land points there as well. Unfortunately the “by Hilton club points” designation kicked in last year, so most of my points couldn’t be used until 44 days out. I usually need more than one room when I go to New York so I did an upgrade in May and converted all my points to Hilton Club NYC up to elite plus. We stayed in a two bedroom last month for a week and it was great. Yes it is a bit older but I think it’s every bit as good as W57 in terms of location and lounge. I also think it was fairly quiet in terms of street noise. Since it’s closed to reservations from non-owners I don’t anticipate ever having problems booking in the future, even short notice.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I owned 5250 pts at W57 since 2011, but got suckered into ‘upgrading’ to Kings Land 2BR (14kpts) New Years week to become Elite in 2015. I then had regret as it was hard to book as a non-owner. So I bought 3750 back into W57 in 2016 knowing that I could use my Kings Land points there as well. Unfortunately the “by Hilton club points” designation kicked in last year, so most of my points couldn’t be used until 44 days out. I usually need more than one room when I go to New York so I did an upgrade in May and converted all my points to Hilton Club NYC up to elite plus. We stayed in a two bedroom last month for a week and it was great. Yes it is a bit older but I think it’s every bit as good as W57 in terms of location and lounge. I also think it was fairly quiet in terms of street noise. Since it’s closed to reservations from non-owners I don’t anticipate ever having problems booking in the future, even short notice.

Interesting trail of points to say the least. Yes, I am indeed looking forward to staying there next year and beyond. I also bought at the HCNY because of the closed reservation system as I will use this exclusively for my NYC vacation "home" now. I already own properties in HI and have other time shares so taking my points to other locations will be limited (although I did have a great stay at the Elara in Vegas with my bonus points).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it’s closed to reservations from non-owners I don’t anticipate ever having problems booking in the future, even short notice.

I also bought at the HCNY because of the closed reservation system as I will use this exclusively for my NYC vacation "home" now.

We own at W. 57th, and live in California. Because of that, the likelihood of trying to book inside 44 days is very, very slim. So, for all intents and purposes, this is also a closed reservation system for our use model.

Cheers.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
We own at W. 57th, and live in California. Because of that, the likelihood of trying to book inside 44 days is very, very slim. So, for all intents and purposes, this is also a closed reservation system for our use model.

Cheers.
Same situation live in CA but occasionally do some short notice trips to NYC. FWIW, I love 57th as well, some of those balcony rooms and penthouse suites are super nice! My brother who has been an owner there for years has (almost) always been able to book when he wants there. I believe he did have some issues a couple years back trying to book <30 days out but apart from that no problems.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same situation live in CA but occasionally do some short notice trips to NYC. FWIW, I love 57th as well, some of those balcony rooms and penthouse suites are super nice! My brother who has been an owner there for years has (almost) always been able to book when he wants there. I believe he did have some issues a couple years back trying to book <30 days out but apart from that no problems.

Thanks for the note. I do not anticipate trying to book that close in...but nice to hear that it may not be infernally difficult should that arise :)

Cheers,

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ive been following the availability for a few months and only time I have seen "great" availability for anything else than a studio is during july - Is that because NYC is crazy hot during the summer or just a coincidence?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive been following the availability for a few months and only time I have seen "great" availability for anything else than a studio is during july - Is that because NYC is crazy hot during the summer or just a coincidence?

No, it's the "crazy hot would never want to be there then" thing. Not coincidence at all :)
Might also be a lot in August for the same reason :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Hmm...Just checked. Yes closer-in is tighter but there is availability between now and December but may need to stitch together different room types if you want a full week (plus Studios anytime of course). New Years still has availability (4 months away) and all room types are available from Jan to May 2019 (5 - 9 months). Below is New Years - heck one could stay Christmas Holiday starting on Dec 27 in the Penthouse if desired!

New Years W57.PNG

Last edited:

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Hmm...Just checked. Yes closer-in is tighter but there is availability between now and December but may need to stitch together different room types if you want a full week (plus Studios anytime of course). New Years still has availability (4 months away) and all room types are available from Jan to May 2019 (5 - 9 months). Below is New Years - heck one could stay Christmas Holiday starting on Dec 27 in the Penthouse if desired!

View attachment 7718
Thanks for the update. I noticed that the above states W 57th BY HILTON CLUB not HGVC. Is this a relatively recent change? Even as an owner I was always confused by this, it was once stated that the Hilton Club was a club within HGVC and somewhat separate from HGVCs (such as 57th).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I noticed that the above states W 57th BY HILTON CLUB not HGVC. Is this a relatively recent change?

No, I think that has always been by Hilton Club. Currently the following properties are included in by Hilton Club:

• West 57th Street
  • The Residences
  • The District
  • Liberty Place Charleston (in development)
  • The Bay Forest Odawara (Japan)
The Hilton Club-NY is even separate from above.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
LOL perh
No, I think that has always been by Hilton Club. Currently the following properties are included in by Hilton Club:

• West 57th Street
  • The Residences
  • The District
  • Liberty Place Charleston (in development)
  • The Bay Forest Odawara (Japan)
The Hilton Club-NY is even separate from above.

LOL, thanks I think. I am even more confused. Some of this seems like it happened when HGVC split off from Hilton and went public.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL perh

LOL, thanks I think. I am even more confused. Some of this seems like it happened when HGVC split off from Hilton and went public.

Completely unrelated to that. We owned before the split and it was like that. There is a very good thread that you should look for that covers the differences between:

• Regular HGVC
  • Hilton Club locations
  • W. 57th (even though "By Hilton Club", the rules are different from regular Hilton Club)

Cheers.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Completely unrelated to that. We owned before the split and it was like that. There is a very good thread that you should look for that covers the differences between:

• Regular HGVC
  • Hilton Club locations
  • W. 57th (even though "By Hilton Club", the rules are different from regular Hilton Club)

Cheers.
I'll check it out, I am aware of the booking rules differences between the various entities. However, not to beat a dead horse I am pretty sure when 57th was built it was listed/called simply 57th St HGVC.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll check it out, I am aware of the booking rules differences between the various entities. However, not to beat a dead horse I am pretty sure when 57th was built it was listed/called simply 57th St HGVC.

Quite possibly. All I know is that when we bought, which was a bit after building, it was "By Hilton Club" and was pre-split. Of course, they may have been talking about the split at the time and being pre-emptive :)

Cheers.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We bought W 57th St pre construction and it was always "By Hilton Club" even though that didn't mean much then.