• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood properties with unsold units

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Am I correct that the following properties have large numbers of unsold units? Are there any others?

1) Westin St. John (Coral Vista and also the new hotel conversion)
2) Westin Cancun Resort and Spa
3) Westin Cabo San Lucas
4) Westin Cabo San Lucas (the other one that was recently announced)
5) Sheraton Poipu
6) Westin Nanea

Is there anything else that has large numbers of unsold units? I am speculating on what Marriott might do post conversion, and large numbers of unsold units would be logical candidates to deposit (all or some) to the Marriott DC Trust -- as this is what I am speculating they will do.

Thank you!

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Greg, reading between the lines of some of the comments Steve Weisz made during their recent 2Q earnings call, I'm less convinced they are going to move to integrate the exchange programs any time soon. While he did say their integration teams were busy defining what the actual post-merger environment would look like, when he was answering analyst questions about enhancing top-line revenue post-merger, it seemed to me the thinking was primarily in how they can fully leverage the combined SPG/Marriott Rewards base and their call transfer and upcoming digital marketing programs to market their multiple programs to a much broader prospect base. I would expect to see marketing linkage agreements where they solicit Westin/Sheraton tours from nearby Marriott hotels, and market the Westin/Sheraton programs to the full SPG/Rewards database well before any integration of the exchange programs. To my ear, I heard him saying that they felt the new, fertile ground for prospecting would be their initial focus, so I'm surmising they might not be motivated to expend the IT resources to add former Vistana properties to the DC Trust until they felt they had tapped the immediate new marketing targets opened up by the legal combination.

That would also sync with what a sales rep said to me (I know, I know, his lips were moving) a couple months ago, that once the merger closes and they can more easily market to the Vistana owner base, those owners are going to become top prospects to sell MVC to, and they might slow down the promotions and offers made to exiting MVC owners, since their efforts would be better spent focusing on the new, untapped owners.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I agree, I’m Marriott owner and a long time ago before 2010 I was trying to trade into Marriott Crystal Shores but it was impossible through II unless you were willing to wait until 4 months out. Once they announced Trust points, it was much easier to reserve. In fact I’ve been twice since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All,

Am I correct that the following properties have large numbers of unsold units? Are there any others?

3) Westin Cabo San Lucas
5) Sheraton Poipu
6) Westin Nanea

Is there anything else that has large numbers of unsold units? I am speculating on what Marriott might do post conversion, and large numbers of unsold units would be logical candidates to deposit (all or some) to the Marriott DC Trust -- as this is what I am speculating they will do.

Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Greg, I am almost certain they still have unsold inventory at Westin Desert Willow in Palm Desert as well. I am with you that it will be interesting to see what they do post acquisition.

Best regards.

Mike

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

3) Westin Cabo San Lucas
5) Sheraton Poipu
6) Westin Nanea

Thank you!

Best,

Greg

I'm not sure how the Westin Flex and Aventuras programs alter the number of unsold units--presumably many were placed in a trust. I do agree that any unsold units would be appealing for Marriott to place in the Marriott DC Trust.

One of the (many) interesting aspects of this acquisition will be how the trusts (including the Hyatt trust, if Marriott is interested in including those resorts) will be handled.

Interesting times. I'm sure we will get some clarity soon.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not sure how the Westin Flex and Aventuras programs alter the number of unsold units--presumably many were placed in a trust. I do agree that any unsold units would be appealing for Marriott to place in the Marriott DC Trust.

One of the (many) interesting aspects of this acquisition will be how the trusts (including the Hyatt trust, if Marriott is interested in including those resorts) will be handled.

Interesting times. I'm sure we will get some clarity soon.
I think this will be the biggest issue for Marriott wanting to try to add any existing unsold inventory to the MVC DC Trust. In essence there is no unsold weeks that they can simply just add to the DC trust. Those weeks were all already conveyed to Sheraton Flex and Westin Flex trusts. So they are already sold. There are of course unsold points in that trust. I don't know if they can simply convey the points over to the DC trust. I suspect not.

Perhaps Vistana will hold off on conveying any new weeks that they acquire through ROFR and foreclosure and decide later what to do with it. Perhaps create a whole new trust of Marriott and Vistana inventory or add it to DC. Or perhaps continue to add it to Westin and Sheraton Flex.

Any new inventory that is coming online from the Sheraton in Poipu and if they ever finish the other phases at SVV and SBP, they may decide to put that in to the MVC DC trust, but I doubt they will ever finish out SVV given that Marriott still has two unfinished resorts there in Harbour Lake and Lakeshore Reserve.