• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

interval trade and guest certificate

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We are Marriott owners and traded one of our weeks for a week in Palm Desert at Shadow Ridge. Our daughter will be traveling with us so we have a 2 bedroom booked. Our son and fiance plan to join us for part of the week so I may look to do another Interval trade so that no one has to sleep on the pull out sofa. Would I need to purchase a guest certificate for my son even though we are staying at the same resort?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As long as you are there to check him in, you don't need a GC. But you have to check him in.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As long as you are there to check him in, you don't need a GC. But you have to check him in.
Thanks, We will be there but he might arrive prior to us. Same day but we have farther to travel. If I just add his name to the reservation does that work?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - You can't add a name to an exchange - you would have to purchase a guest certificate. It's a source of income for II, so they have no motivation to do otherwise.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can add everyone's name to the appropriate units when you checkin so if anyone gets locked out, they will be able to have the front desk help them get back in.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I think that a guest certificate costs $59 or maybe it's $69. For that money, have your son and fiance go to the bar and have a cool one and/or a sandwich while they're waiting. They have a bar in the SR golf course restaurant by check in. Or your son and fiance could walk over to the pool bar in the TS complex (inside the gate). If they feel bold, I suppose that they could tail-gate someone through the electric gates. But when walking, no key is needed. It is perhaps a couple of block walk - - not too bad.

But I'm confused. Maybe I misunderstood your post. You booked a week for you and your spouse and DD and mentioned that DS and fiance would join you for part of the week. If I understand your post, that would mean that your DS would be arriving on the first day of your stay and may arrive before you?

BTW, we were at SR mid June. Warm but fun (as always).

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, We will be there but he might arrive prior to us. Same day but we have farther to travel. If I just add his name to the reservation does that work?

Probably depends on the resort. When I have done this, my parents were listed on the reservation along with me and arrived early. The resort allowed them to access the room but still required me to check in when I arrived later that day.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that a guest certificate costs $59 or maybe it's $69. For that money, have your son and fiance go to the bar and have a cool one and/or a sandwich while they're waiting. They have a bar in the SR golf course restaurant by check in. Or your son and fiance could walk over to the pool bar in the TS complex (inside the gate). If they feel bold, I suppose that they could tail-gate someone through the electric gates. But when walking, no key is needed. It is perhaps a couple of block walk - - not too bad.

But I'm confused. Maybe I misunderstood your post. You booked a week for you and your spouse and DD and mentioned that DS and fiance would join you for part of the week. If I understand your post, that would mean that your DS would be arriving on the first day of your stay and may arrive before you?

BTW, we were at SR mid June. Warm but fun (as always).

Yes, our son most likely will be arriving prior to our arrival. We have a late flight from the East Coast and he will be driving from LA so they could arrive a few hours before us. It would seem all I would need would be to add his name to the reservation as a guest. I did make my post confusing though because I added the possibility of getting a second unit with an Interval exchange. So the question there is do i need to purchase a guest certificate through Interval if we are all on property? I feel like I did this years ago when we needed two units for a family trip to Marriott Grande Vista. Don't think I purchased a guest certificate though.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My interpretation of the rule is you should be purchasing a guest certificate for any unit that you are not occupying at all.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your son cannot check-in, if you are not there. So if you want him to check-in before you arrive, then you need one.

If you are going to check him in, then you don't need one. You simply check-in, and add him as a guest in the unit.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Yes, our son most likely will be arriving prior to our arrival. We have a late flight from the East Coast and he will be driving from LA so they could arrive a few hours before us. It would seem all I would need would be to add his name to the reservation as a guest. I did make my post confusing though because I added the possibility of getting a second unit with an Interval exchange. So the question there is do i need to purchase a guest certificate through Interval if we are all on property? I feel like I did this years ago when we needed two units for a family trip to Marriott Grande Vista. Don't think I purchased a guest certificate though.
I think that - - in theory - - if your son tries to check in before you that they might need a guest certificate. If you checked in first, you wouldn't need a guest cert.
So there are a few options: (1) Call the resort and explain that your son may check in first and ask if that is a problem. If it is, then go to option (2): Have your son kill some time until you arrive or (3) buy the guest cert.
Shadow Ridge is a nice time share. It can get pretty warm in the summer and early fall. We were at SR in June and it reached around 108. So what do you do with lemons? Make lemonade and take it to the pool. If you golf, or hike/walk, do it in the morning. We still had a great time.