• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Choice for 4-day Gap Stay on Maui

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
ISO recommendations in a 1 or 2 bdrm for a 4 night stay in-between two timeshare weeks (WKORV/N OF) and Maui Hill for 4 people next summer.

Options:

1) Ritz Carlton Residence 1 Bdrm OV. Nice but a LOT of points and cash e.g. 400,000 Marriott Points plus $76/day for resort fee and parking. Would we be better off using the points for a Marriott travel package? However we will have a difficult time using 7 nights at a Cat 5.

2) Kapalua Villas Maui OF or OV. Daily resort Fees + 72K to 90k Chase Rewards Points (these points are highly valued for airfare and Hyatt stays so not sure I want to use these valuable points for this purpose. The resort reviews are hit and miss. Some love it. Others say "run down" and cockroaches. Not sure what to believe.

3) Recommendations for other Maui condo options that are not too pricey but also nice. Preferably with nice lanai OV.

Thanks

Last edited:

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
1) Ritz Carlton Residence 1 Bdrm OF. Nice but a LOT of points and cash e.g. 400,000 Marriott Points plus $76/day for resort fee and parking. Would we be better off using the points for a Marriott travel package? However we will have a difficult time using 7 nights at a Cat 5.

Holy smokes they must be pretty proud of this place. I would get a 7 day and 5 day Travel package if I had this many points. The 240K airline miles for both packages would get you 1st class tickets for 2 to Hawaii even from east cost. But hurry the packages are changing really soon as the devaluing for 2018 occurs.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you might be interested in a very different idea, but we were in a similar situation, decided to stay in Hana for a few days, and simply loved it. A complete change of pace from Kaanapali (MOC) and beautiful beyond words.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Staying in Hana is a great idea. Alternatively, depending on time of year you travel, getting 4 nights at Worldmark Kihei should be doable and a lot more affordable. AirBnb could be another option.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Residence Inn in Wailea might be a nice option. I believe that daily breakfast is included.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Since you are already spending a week in Kaanapali and a week in Kihei, I'd try to do a different area. I like the idea of Hana, but not sure if 4 nights might be too much. Where I'd really love to stay would be the Grand Wailea, but that's still close to Kihei, just hotel rooms and VERY expensive. How about staying upcountry?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks all for your thoughts. The Ritz intrigues me but it is very pricey! OTOH I know we would struggle to use a Marriott Hotel Travel package - what are hotel points for if you can't blow them on something you wouldn't normally pay for?

@Luanne I like the idea of Wailea but you are correct, the Grand Wailea would be prohibitive since we have 4 adults and would need a kitchen to keep our perishables between stays chlled and keep meal costs down. Perhaps there are some condos in the area?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Luanne I like the idea of Wailea but you are correct, the Grand Wailea would be prohibitive since we have 4 adults and would like a kitchen to keep our perishables between stays chlled and keep meal costs down. Perhaps there are some condos in the area?
There are definitely condos in Wailea. Check vrbo.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Since you are staying at WKORV/N, why not just move on the other side of Black Rock to the south part of Kaanapali and rent the four nights in a condo at the Kaanapali Ali'i?

https://www.kaanapalialii.com/?nck=8552744163&rt=google%7Ccpc%7CCRH01-Kaanapali-Alii-Brand-17019-63005%7Ckaanapali%20alii&gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-3N_40CPGP_JdcrNnOVVT2FMlmxAnkCNrXverI9tgBXp6XgYGNz6GxoCoXIQAvD_BwE

They offer nightly condo rentals direct from the resort online. It's located just north of Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, and you could walk to the restaurants and shops at Whaler's Village.

There's also The Whaler, a little farther north closer to Black Rock - also Studio, 1BR, and 2BR condos. You can rent from both Aston Hotels or Monte Fitts Realtors.

http://www.whalerkaanapali.com
http://www.thewhaler.com

Since both of those are only 5-10 minutes from WKORV/N, it might make it easier to relocate (i.e. - make more than one short round trip). If either of those still offer the "fifth night free" option they used to offer years ago, you could rent four nights but overlap the free fifth night with your WKORV/N stay so you can relocate perishables at your leisure.

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
If you are willing to pay cash I would stay at Napili Kai (expensive but great rooms). It is on Napili Bay. You can have an oceanfront room or garden view. If you want something even cheaper stay at Napili Shores. The units are not as nice if you rent through outrigger but some of the ones on VRBO have been updated. Also no a/c but not really needed. Costco usually has deals too but it is through outrigger. You are super close to Napili Bay and the secret beach. Both are condos and all rooms including studios have kitchens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
http://www.mauicondosoceanfront.com/Unit/Details/116483

This is a company that rents nights at various condos on Maui. This particular one is oceanfront, and I looked it up because it is next door to our Hono Koa oceanfront unit. I always look at this little place next door to Hono Koa and think how nice it would be to own one of those condos 52 weeks a year. :) I especially like Honokowai. It's a beautiful little neighborhood.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'll also note that your decision should probably factor in what kind of an experience are you looking for. Kihei, Kahana, or Honokowai will offer a more laid back, residential condo feel, whereas the Kaanapali and Wailea options will offer a more upscale resort feel and more nearby amenities. Those who prefer the former sometimes tend to not like the latter and vice versa (we like the resort feel ourselves). Since you said you were staying at WKORV/N and Maui Hill, you've got one of each type already, so not sure which style you would prefer for the gap stay.

Also, since you said you were traveling in the summer, I'm not sure I would want a unit without A/C. We've always had A/C, but one summer many years ago on Kauai we stayed at Poipu Point, which as I recall, didn't have A/C in the bedrooms. Even with the lanai doors open, it was noticeably warmer in the rooms without A/C. Not sure I would want an entire unit without A/C in the summer.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll also note that your decision should probably factor in what kind of an experience are you looking for. Kihei, Kahana, or Honokowai will offer a more laid back, residential condo feel, whereas the Kaanapali and Wailea options will offer a more upscale resort feel and more nearby amenities. Those who prefer the former sometimes tend to not like the latter and vice versa (we like the resort feel ourselves). Since you said you were staying at WKORV/N and Maui Hill, you've got one of each type already, so not sure which style you would prefer for the gap stay.

Also, since you said you were traveling in the summer, I'm not sure I would want a unit without A/C. We've always had A/C, but one summer many years ago on Kauai we stayed at Poipu Point, which as I recall, didn't have A/C in the bedrooms. Even with the lanai doors open, it was noticeably warmer in the rooms without A/C. Not sure I would want an entire unit without A/C in the summer.

We just left Napili Shores. No A/C and it is fine. Now at WKORV and the doors are open because the A/C is too cold. We live in the Central Valley of California so we are use to 100 degrees . 80 with humidity is nothing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We just left Napili Shores. No A/C and it is fine. Now at WKORV and the doors are open because the A/C is too cold. We live in the Central Valley of California so we are use to 100 degrees . 80 with humidity is nothing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YMMV. We live in Santa Fe. It gets warm (dry heat) here. 80 degrees with humidity is uncomfortable. And we've been to Hawaii when it's been above that. VERY uncomfortable. I swore I would never stay anyplace in Hawaii during the summer that didn't have a/c.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
A few more random thoughts.

If you have just a one night gap I might suggest staying in one of the areas you'll already be in. But with a 4 night gap you have a chance to experience something different.

If you are going to look at renting a condo (again check vrbo) and want something different from where you will be staying your other two weeks, I would suggest looking into:

Makena (it's past Wailea and would give you a different experience and feel)
Makawao - upcountry, again a completely different experience and feel)
Keane - this is on the road to Hana. Some friends stayed in a B&B there last year and it looks like they had a fabulous time

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

YMMV. We live in Santa Fe. It gets warm (dry heat) here. 80 degrees with humidity is uncomfortable. And we've been to Hawaii when it's been above that. VERY uncomfortable. I swore I would never stay anyplace in Hawaii during the summer that didn't have a/c.

You don't know heat and humidity until you've been in my neck of the woods! Right now outside it's 93 degrees with a dew point of 71. That's a 101 heat index. And I guarantee you, with a 71 dew point, that's NOT a dry heat!

So, 80 degrees with humidity is nothing for us, but we still wouldn't even think of Hawaii without A/C when there are so many great places with A/C!

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don't know heat and humidity until you've been in my neck of the woods! Right now outside it's 93 degrees with a dew point of 71. That's a 101 heat index. And I guarantee you, with a 71 dew point, that's NOT a dry heat!

So, 80 degrees with humidity is nothing for us, but we still wouldn't even think of Hawaii without A/C when there are so many great places with A/C!

If you say so... i really love Napili Bay. So I’ll do anything to stay there. We really don’t spend that much time in our unit anyways..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk