• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wow! I’m on the deed but I can’t check into my owners week.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
At WORKV and they won’t check me in at all. Husband had to check me in. With my Marriott timeshares I can add my name on the reservation online but I haven’t seen that with Vistana. Why? My name is on the deed. Seriously is it that hard to program both names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
At WORKV and they won’t check me in at all. Husband had to check me in. With my Marriott timeshares I can add my name on the reservation online but I haven’t seen that with Vistana. Why? My name is on the deed. Seriously is it that hard to program both names.

After the reservation is made, you are able to send a message to Vistana indicating the names of those adults who will be staying in the villa(s). With that information, those individuals will be allowed to check-in, charge to villas, etc.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

So ridiculous. Ours are deeded in the name of our trust with both of us as co-trustees but everything winds up under his name. So annoying.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After the reservation is made, you are able to send a message to Vistana indicating the names of those adults who will be staying in the villa(s). With that information, those individuals will be allowed to check-in, charge to villas, etc.

But I shouldn’t have to. I’m on the deed.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So ridiculous. Ours are deeded in the name of our trust with both of us as co-trustees but everything winds up under his name. So annoying.

That is crazy.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I shouldn’t have to. I’m on the deed.

Exactly. Why should *we* have to jump through hoops? Lord knows they'd have no problem tracking us down if we defaulted.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe it would help if you carried a photocopy of your Deed with you...

George
Nope. That is not appropriate. They know darn well who the owners are. Just because we are listed second on the deed because it is "convention" does not make us any less of an owner. This is on Vistana to fix.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's all that unusual for a resort to need your name on the reservation to check you in. The front desk should never assume someone else is staying with the guest whose name is on the reservation. As controller1 noted, it's easy to add names or a note to the reservation. We do it all the time.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think it's all that unusual for a resort to need your name on the reservation to check you in. The front desk should never assume someone else is staying with the guest whose name is on the reservation. As controller1 noted, it's easy to add names or a note to the reservation. We do it all the time.
The question is why aren't both deeded names in the reservation? Both are equal owners.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Easily solved by putting your name first on the deed. I do that because DH doesn't do anything with timeshares but enjoy his vacations! ;)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Just because it isn't in real time it isn't really that much different to sending a message with the name vs changing the name online like it is possible with Marriott.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Easily solved by putting your name first on the deed. I do that because DH doesn't do anything with timeshares but enjoy his vacations! ;)
Our trust document reads klpca family trust, Mr. Klpca and Mrs. Klpca co trustees (set up years ago and I'm not retitling everything at this point). Deeds have to match that document. It was an act of Congress to get my II account fixed because it was in my name, yet every ownership record only listed my husband's name. It's as if I'm invisible. And like you, my husband is uninvolved in anything timeshare related. It's just backwards.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue here is that OP is a co-owner. Their system needs to reflect all owners on the reservation.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Ownership is different than a reservation. You can allow anyone to use your week, so a resort doesn't know who's coming. You need to let them know.

Just imagine this scenario. What if you were going through a less than amicable separation and had control of your timeshares. Your angry soon-to-be-ex-spouse shows up (he's on the deed until the divorce comes through) on a week you rented out. His name is on the deed, so he should be able to check in and screw with your renters to cause you trouble?

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So when the first person on the deed makes the reservation do they call too. I’d understand if they made everyone list their name on the reservation including the first person on the deed but not when they ask a second deed owner to.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ultimately they need to improve their systems to permit modifications of the names of those visiting so any are able to checkin. Of course, we have been asking for this change at least since I bought in 2005...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Ultimately they need to improve their systems to permit modifications of the names of those visiting so any are able to checkin. Of course, we have been asking for this change at least since I bought in 2005...

You just send them a message via your dashboard and list all the occupants. Then anyone who you have listed is allowed to check in.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, just put the reservation under both names. Either owner can do that. I do it all the time if we aren't traveling together. You used to be able to do it online, but it takes an extra phonecall now. My ire is very slow to rise, and I try to keep things as simple as I can for everybody. A call doesn't bother me at all.

The front desk doesn't have a clue who you are, and they shouldn't assume anything. They have the names on the reservation and whether it was made by an Owner using their own week, and perhaps can break it down by a StarOption reservation, an exchange reservation, SPG points reservation, or a cash guest.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You just send them a message via your dashboard and list all the occupants. Then anyone who you have listed is allowed to check in.

This should be able to be done online without waiting for anyone to read a message, nor require you to call.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ultimately they need to improve their systems to permit modifications of the names of those visiting so any are able to checkin.

You used to be able to do this, but they changed it when they were trying to crack down on StarOption rentals.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
This should be able to be done online without waiting for anyone to read a message, nor require you to call.

OK, but it takes me only another two minutes to accomplish what I'm doing. I do not believe we need to pay higher MFs for Vistana to change their system to allow me to list online during the reservation process the names of all eight occupants.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sent a message to Vistana corporate via email. I asked them how it was legal for the 1st name on the deed to be allowed to check in but not the second name. Hopefully somebody from corporate responds. The funny thing if my husband tells them he wants to attend a presentation by himself they say no. Westin knows who is married and how is not.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
OK, but it takes me only another two minutes to accomplish what I'm doing. I do not believe we need to pay higher MFs for Vistana to change their system to allow me to list online during the reservation process the names of all eight occupants.

Who said anything about higher MFs? Improving existing systems is an already budgeted item, at least I would be shocked if it wasn’t. Besides, it would be a net savings since if we were able to do this ourselves they wouldn’t need to spend any labor at all on it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I sent a message to Vistana corporate via email. I asked them how it was legal for the 1st name on the deed to be allowed to check in but not the second name. Hopefully somebody from corporate responds. The funny thing if my husband tells them he wants to attend a presentation by himself they say no. Westin knows who is married and how is not.

Don't be surprised if corporate doesn't respond by directing you to the Primary Contact area of the Reservation Rules provided to owners.

Primary Contact. Owners must designate a Primary Contact by notifying Reservation Services by written authorization signed by all individuals holding the VOI or by an authorized representative of the business entity. . . .