• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who in Hawaii can do an affordable escrow/closing?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm wondering if any fellow "tugger" has found an economical way to do a closing on a Hawaii timeshare?

Before someone suggests LT Transfer, they are severely limited (by Hawaii law) from handling escrow.

I spoke with Mary Pless today, one of the principals in LT Transfer. She explained that they sometimes do "soft escrows" (holding and releasing a cashiers check from buyer to seller) but cannot do that for Hawaii. Apparently the Hawaii transfer and escrow people have been able to get the Hawaii laws changed to favor the on-island escrow companies. Actually to give them a monopoly.

LT Transfer can do all of the necessary paperwork for title changes, gifting, trust changes, etc. as long as they do not get involved in any way with holding or handling of any monies. Also, she said that if a buyer and seller are working together and 100% handling their own financial payment details that LT Transfer could do the necessary title transfer work. But they cannot be a part of, or involved in any way with the financial transaction.

So, who have fellow tuggers used recently and roughly what did it cost? An acquaintance of mine got a quote from a Hawaii escrow company for around $1K - - seems like way too much....

Please share your recent experience.....

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare Closing Services LLC
Orlando, Florida
Will do the transfer. Not sure how much they charge.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm sad to hear the news that they changed the laws in Hawaii. In Nov 2014 we bought a Hawaii timeshare week and LT Transfer handled everything, including the escrow. The purchase went smoothly and very efficiently.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any fellow "tugger" has found an economical way to do a closing on a Hawaii timeshare?

Before someone suggests LT Transfer, they are severely limited (by Hawaii law) from handling escrow.

I spoke with Mary Pless today, one of the principals in LT Transfer. She explained that they sometimes do "soft escrows" (holding and releasing a cashiers check from buyer to seller) but cannot do that for Hawaii. Apparently the Hawaii transfer and escrow people have been able to get the Hawaii laws changed to favor the on-island escrow companies. Actually to give them a monopoly.

LT Transfer can do all of the necessary paperwork for title changes, gifting, trust changes, etc. as long as they do not get involved in any way with holding or handling of any monies. Also, she said that if a buyer and seller are working together and 100% handling their own financial payment details that LT Transfer could do the necessary title transfer work. But they cannot be a part of, or involved in any way with the financial transaction.

So, who have fellow tuggers used recently and roughly what did it cost? An acquaintance of mine got a quote from a Hawaii escrow company for around $1K - - seems like way too much....

Please share your recent experience.....
Timeshare Transfers in Vero Beach will do HI I believe. Around $500 IIRC for HI.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dean and Braindead, thanks for the advice. That is a good starting point.

Anyone else with suggestions?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sent you a message.....

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a shame that LT Transfer can't do the Hawaii closings that involve $ (they can do gifting, title changes and things not involving money). LT Transfer has a very low cost (plus are good to work with). It seems like the alternative firms start at around $500 and go up from there. It is a shame that the Hawaii transfer companies aren't charging something a bit lower....

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
It is a shame that the Hawaii transfer companies aren't charging something a bit lower....
I think the Hawaiians probably consider that a feature, not a bug.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is a shame that the Hawaii transfer companies aren't charging something a bit lower....
They charge more because they can, they have a limited number of agents authorized to do escrow in Hawaii. There may also be high fees charged by the state to license an escrow agent and those fees have to be passed on to the customer. If someone could charge less, I suppose they would to get a leg up on the competition.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We bought our Maui Ocean Club EOY week earlier this year using a mainland broker who used a closing/escrow company in Florida. We did not have to pay for a dedicated Hawaii escrow company. Deed was transferred by Maui County without issue.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our Maui Ocean Club EOY week earlier this year using a mainland broker who used a closing/escrow company in Florida. We did not have to pay for a dedicated Hawaii escrow company. Deed was transferred by Maui County without issue.
Normally they liaison with a HI company, this was true even before the recent changes.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Normally they liaison with a HI company, this was true even before the recent changes.

Not sure if they did or didn't liaison, but we paid the normal US closing costs of around $500-$600, not the typical $1000 Hawaii closing costs. Our closing was in Feb/Mar.