• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui/Kaanapali Bound

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We fly to Maui this Saturday -- August 4, 2018. We will be there for 2 weeks. We are staying 1 week at KBC and 1 week at Hono Koa. We have not been to Maui for 5 years and we have never stayed in the Kaanapali Area. We like Hole-in-the-Wall places to eat and Food Trucks. We enjoy snorkeling, museums, coffee plantations, and Hikes. We already have our ticket for Haleakala Sunrise. Last time we were there we drove around both ends of the Island. We have ziplined several times at Piiholo Ranch.

Any suggestions for places to go, things to do, and/or places to eat would be greatly appreciated.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would highly recommend Aloha Mixed Plate on the Kaanapali end of Front Street. Very casual outdoor seating with great local food. They remodeled last year, so we are looking forward to going there this fall. Sounds like you don’t mind rising early, so try breakfast at The Gazebo. Great breakfast including Macadamia Nut Pancakes, but you need to get there before they open. Right on the water with a beautiful view. There are many more, but those two come to mind first.

Have a great time.

Mike

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree on the Gazebo, great breakfast and view. We liked Leoda’s For lunch and pies.

I’ll w watching this too. We return after four years in January.

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Da Kitchen in Kahului, Maui Tacos, the Gazebo, Dukes, Genki Sushi, Teddy’s bigger burgers, Maui brewing co. - that’s all I can think of right now. Lots of higher end great places that are wonderful - these are less expensive.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That eclectic combination breakfast place and coffee joint right across the street from the Kaanapali Beach Club is really good. We ate there at least three times during our week. It's called Soup Nutz / Java Jazz, and is at the left end of the strip mall with the Times grocery store.

Dave

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Agree on Leoda's. And stop by Kula Lodge (restaurant). Great views. We love to have breakfast up there.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I also suggest Leoda's (for lunch; get the ahi sandwich), Aloha Mixed Plate, Gazebo (prepare to wait in line), and Duke's.

Also, Cheeseburgers in Paradise near the banyan tree on Front Street in Lahaina.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Food: Cool Cat Cafe for burgers (best on the island, IMO), Da Kitchen for plate lunches (there's a location in Kihei if you're going to be in that area as opposed to Kahului), and the Kinaole Grill Food Truck in Kihei (right outside Kamaole Beach I)

Activities: Maui Ocean Center is a must, and literally any sail with Trilogy

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Hello,
Thank you for getting this tread started. My family will be in Maui 3 weeks, Aug 25th and I'm very interested in less expensive restaurant options, (besides Merriman or Fleetwood's on Front Street) and things to do.

One thing I read about was a coconut farm called, Punakea Palms Coconut Farm. Has anyone heard of this? Is it worth it?
https://www.punakeapalms.com/

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
If you like hole in the wall places, Soup Nutz and java Jazz became a must have for us for breakfast in north Kaanapali. The decor alone will keep you entertained for quite some time. Their Moco Loco is awesome, by the way.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Ah, another hole in the wall place in Lahaina: 808 Grindz. Their breakfast choices are fantastic, and prices are low (IMO).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Some of the Best coffee we have ever had was Mokka. Much better than any Kona Coffee we have tried. A friend brought us some. She got it from the Hilo Coffee Mill. But it is grown on Maui. We will be tracking it down and hopefully visit the Farm where it is grown.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
A trip to Maui always takes us to Cool Cat -- fish tacos for me, and a bowl of chilli on rice that is so big we both eat the leftovers the next day for lunch. Be sure to grab up all the tourist magazines at the airport and you'll find a free brownie sundae coupon for Cool Cat. We head to Pismo Beach again in a couple weeks and always say we'll eat at their Cool Cat, but usually just stick with a second trip to Splash for clam chowder.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Fish Market on the Lower H road is a favorite of ours (especially their Baja fish tacos). We call in our order first for a quick pick-up, and then it's back to our condo to eat on our lanai. There's also the Paia Fish Market in Lahaina and Paia, but they're a bit more expensive and I wouldn't classify them as a "hole-in-the-wall". Another favorite is Joey's in the food court at the Whaler's Village. Joey's is also located in the Napili Plaza shopping mall. Enjoy your time on Maui!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Fish Market on the Lower H road is a favorite of ours (especially their Baja fish tacos). We call in our order first for a quick pick-up, and then it's back to our condo to eat on our lanai. There's also the Paia Fish Market in Lahaina and Paia, but they're a bit more expensive and I wouldn't classify them as a "hole-in-the-wall". Another favorite is Joey's in the food court at the Whaler's Village. Joey's is also located in the Napili Plaza shopping mall. Enjoy your time on Maui!!

I second The Fish Market and Paia Fish Market in both places. Really good food and both are inexpensive. There is a deli on Lower Honoapiilani Road as well that is very good.

We are on Maui 8/20-9/3 with my sister and her husband. We are staying at Kahana Beach. Love that place.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Da Kitchen, Coconuts shrimp and tacos (Kihei), Merrimans for happy hour truffle fries and MaiTai's, Maui Brewery for happy hour beers and flatbread w/pork (or any time; wed, wear your Maui B/Crazy shirt and get cheap pints all nite), food trucks at Hana (fish sticks OMG), Thai food at Hana (tuna...yum).

Hula, Monkeypods, Kimos, Fleetwoods all have great happy hours, but short, packed and kind of breaks the day up (3-5 ish) plus you always spend a ton extra if you stay for the sunset. And, by that time, it always sounds like a great idea....;)

happy hour drinks in the grotto bar (Hyatt) are an unforgettable experience (deafening, but unforgettable)

Trilogy is fabulous. The larger PWF boats are surprisingly good. We had our best Maui sightings this year on the PWF boat. The trip on Trilogy was more fun though.... Steves rafts are great.....but quite the slap-slap-slap on the water

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Patti has a problem with sea sickness. She does better or small boats or Zodiac type boats.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If the picture is accurate that Boat would probably be too big for Patti.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
The bags are packed and weighed. We always have to check 1 large bag because we take our own snorkeling gear with vision corrected Masks, skins, booties, gloves, snorkels, fins, and my Beannie to protect my going bald head. Though we get to check 1 each with Alaska for free. We were laughing about our first trip to Maui in 2003 (Honeymoon) when I insisted I needed to take every Aloha Shirt I owned (my Mom use to make me 1 or 2 a year) so I could have a clean 1 for the day and different clean one for the evening. The House is clean and ready for the pet/house sitter. Except for the bathroom, which we will do in the morning. We have a 6pm flight. So tomorrow should be an easy day.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Don't forget to buy a crazy shirt! Best souvenir ever.

Get the color-dyed ones....they are pre-shrunk and last forever. Mine are 10+ years old.
Also, the shop will screen print the year and your choice of symbols on the sleeve....get the whale....so you can remember the year (if you start to forget, lol).

Also, if you get a Maui brewery one, your pints get cheaper. Wouldn't let that be my main focus.

The Capt Steve's boats are pretty small and you are really close to the water. So, you don't get any feeling of height. It's a pretty small but long boat. Best experienced on a calmer day.
They leave out of the harbor in Lahaina.

Have fun, take pics. Preferably from the patio at Merrimans.

Forgot to mention: you can hike the old golf course across the road from Kapalua. Great vistas. Also, consider walking out to see the DRAGON's TEETH. Great little walk. Use beach access parking and walk down the side of the golf course. It's apparent when you start walking.

cheers!

mai tai's for everyone......

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the picture is accurate that Boat would probably be too big for Patti.
Catamarans tend to be a lot more stable than others. We all get motion sick to some degree or another, my daughter is the worst.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ah, another hole in the wall place in Lahaina: 808 Grindz. Their breakfast choices are fantastic, and prices are low (IMO).
We love 808 Grinz. It’s a must to order pancakes or waffles and pay a little extra for its famous mac-nilla sauce. The only problem is parking, you most likely have to pay...