• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scuba question...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I’m very excited (and proud) to say that Jack (13 years old) got certified on our Maui trip this week!!! He’s always been a water rat and did very well on his skills and cert dives. I’m very excited about this because I love to dive and he loves the water.

So he’s a beginner - and I’m an intermediate. I have 100+ dives - but over 27 years, so I am realistic about where I am.

Can TUGgers comment on favorite dive groups and dive spots? I prefer boat dives and depths of 30-50’, and looking for recommendations on all islands. I’m no longer a deep diver, especially with my newbie partner.

I’ve done a lot of diving in Maui, so mostly curious about the other islands. I would like to put in a plug for Brent Bussell in Maui - Amazing dive instructor and great with new diver.

Please advise and thanks!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Wow Greg. I'm impressed with both you and Jack. That will be another special activity that the two of you can share over the years to come.

I am not a diver, so have nothing to share on that front. Have fun!

Mike

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
BI likely has some better diving than Maui. Some shore diving opportunities too, saves you on a boat trip. Two step is great, but was a lot busier than it used to be, but most are snorkelers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Congratulations to Jack on his certification.

I’m partial to Kohala coast snorkeling, the abundance of sea life as well as the varied volcanic undersea terrain with caves and lava tubes always makes me want to explore more.

I don’t scuba but have taken the snorkel boat out of Mauna Lani. This company has been in business there since the 80s.

https://maunalaniseaadventures.com/

The rest of your family would enjoy the beach area while you go out on a boat, there are fish ponds and a nice sandy beach with walking paths, and the beach snorkeling is good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Hi,

I’d recommend the Kona Dive Company on the big Island. We’ve dove with them EOY for the last 10 years. They pick the sites based on the daily conditions and all are within a short ride of the harbor. They do a very good job on the night manta dive, we’ve done it twice. They group you according to your skill level so you don’t feel pressured on the dive to keep up with other more experienced divers. You said you like boat dives but if your on Oahu there is a company that does a beach dive at hanuma bay. I think they’re called Ocean Adventures. They take you out to the outer reef and the depth doesn’t exceed 30’ so you get a long dive. I think mine we’re over an hour.

Jeff C

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
2-step Beach on the Big Island is fantastic. Its a big steeply sided bowl about 100ft deep (by my estimation) and has all manner of sea life you come to Hawaii to see. The sides of the bowl are lined with coral and the sandy center is frequented by dolphins that hide out for a rest.
We will be diving the Molokini Wall in October for the first time.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have about 300 dives over 25 years. Nothing compares to diving when I started. Global warming has really ruined the reefs. Even 25 years ago, Hawaii and Virgin Islands were NOT known for diving. Top side and the oceans of Hawaii and Virgin Islands are among the best but underwater, not as great. I recently went back to Cozumel and it is still better than most places but it was so disappointing that the giant groupers are gone and you have to go deep (about 50-80 feet) to see the colorful coral, swim throughs, large groups of little fish and the amazing walls. At 30 feet, everything is dead. I just am not sure where to recommend anymore. If you had asked me 25 years ago, I would have said Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Bonaire, Out Islands of the Bahamas. I have been diving many more places but these locations stood out to me in the past.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’m not a diver but when I was looking into buying my condo on Molokai, I was looking into activities on the island that would interest renters and Molokai is supposed to have some pretty good diving. I have had a renter that went and said it was very good.

There is a 30 mile long reef that protects the south shore of the island and the diving there is supposed to be pretty good.

I put a link below for the dive shop on the island. Again, I haven’t used them but you can look into it for yourself. It’s close to Maui and could make a good day trip.

http://scubadivemolokai.com/

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
All,

I’m very excited (and proud) to say that Jack (13 years old) got certified on our Maui trip this week!!! He’s always been a water rat and did very well on his skills and cert dives. I’m very excited about this because I love to dive and he loves the water.

So he’s a beginner - and I’m an intermediate. I have 100+ dives - but over 27 years, so I am realistic about where I am.

Can TUGgers comment on favorite dive groups and dive spots? I prefer boat dives and depths of 30-50’, and looking for recommendations on all islands. I’m no longer a deep diver, especially with my newbie partner.

I’ve done a lot of diving in Maui, so mostly curious about the other islands. I would like to put in a plug for Brent Bussell in Maui - Amazing dive instructor and great with new diver.

Please advise and thanks!

Best,

Greg

I liked Cozumel and Cancun way better than Hawaii. The sea life and structure is just way better. But, 60 ft dives off Kaua'i are kind of fun. There are the Sheraton caverns which are lava tubes and a couple of easy drift dives in the area. We went with Seasport in the Poipu area. Not much sea life here, imo.

You might consider Cancun. There are the artificial statue reefs that are about 50 - 60 ft dives. The turtle flats and a few coral canyons are fairly shallow dives. Schools of fish every where. I wish I could go.

Bill

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented a small fishing boat on the Kailua Coat and used it for several dives and fishing. We caught a couple large ono and left one with the boat owner. Great for grilling. The diving there does not compare to the Caribbeanor the Pillipines but still is fun. I am glad your son is certified but be cautious as the seas can quickly change. I taught several years and had classes of age 12 to 75. The classes met for 12 weeks for two hours. One classroom hour and one pool. To pass you had to really know your equipment and make dives going thru reasonably rough surf. About a third of the class was not certified but usually came back for another try.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember when I got certified back in the 1970's. For the final pool session all the gear was put at the bottom of the deep end in pieces. You had to go down, assemble all the equipment, get it wo4king, put it on correctly, and then surface. The next event was an open water dive on a wreck off the North Carolina coast. In those days PADI distinguished between those that qualified for open water diving. When I recently described my original training to the Owner of the local dive shop he called it the combat course and said no one does in that way anymore.

Noodle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg, We are in the same boat...hehe Our 10 year old will finish his 4 ocean dives next week.

We own a timeshare at Buddy Dive in Bonaire. It is fantastic diving!!!! You just walk into the water, no boat needed. No need to go super deep. All you need is a car rental and you drive to the different dive sites.