• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase sapphire reserve card ?

Grandma2016

Reaction score
So my husband just received his CSR card in mail. We have spent the required amount in month one for our award points. My ? Is....1. If american airlines is our go to airline and this card is not partnered with them how do I get most bang with my airlines? 2. Since I'm the one usually making purchases should I be added as a user? 3. Do u still think this is best card to pay timeshare maintenance fees with (they are about 18k per year)....we use our aa miles to fly to maui . TIA

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Grandma2016

Reaction score
taterhed WOW I signed him up for a membership with BA and checked how many points it would be from PHX to OGG. Normally the smallest amount I have EVER seen is 20,000 AA miles. This was only 12,500 miles. THANK YOU. Do you know if I can move my AA miles to BA miles? If not I will just start depositing my miles with BA. Yipee!!! I love this forum!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I don't think so...sorry. But, google is your friend. Check TPG for answers (the points guy)

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
taterhed WOW I signed him up for a membership with BA and checked how many points it would be from PHX to OGG. Normally the smallest amount I have EVER seen is 20,000 AA miles. This was only 12,500 miles. THANK YOU. Do you know if I can move my AA miles to BA miles? If not I will just start depositing my miles with BA. Yipee!!! I love this forum!
I wish I knew about British Airways flights to Hawaii from the west coast earlier than I did!! I discovered this about 3 years ago from someone on TUG, and have since gotten credit cards that will get me BA miles just for flying to Hawaii with family. British Air has a great credit card offer right now - 50,000 points (2 Hawaii tickets for west coasters) after spending $3000, another 25,000 points after spending another $7000, and another 25000 points if you spend an additional $10,000 within the first year. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth putting $10,000 on the card for the additional 25000 bonus points... It would equate to 3.5 points per dollar spent, so I'll likely go ahead and do it. Gotta love British Air for west coast to Hawaii travel!! (I also just learned that with my Thank You points from Citi, I can fly Los Angeles to Tahiti for 51,000 miles on Air France. They are running a special 30% bonus right now for transfers to Air France, that's 40,000 ThankYou points (plus around $200 in fees) to fly round trip to Tahiti!! Woohoo!)

Last edited:

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Just signed up for the BA cc excited for the 100k points. Thank u all so much.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Y'know several weeks ago, I asked about using the British Airways(BA) CC and using Avios on American and Alaska in the Tug Lounge.
But no one responded :shrug:
On paper it sounded good because of the BA mileage charts, but I wanted to know if anyone had personal experience getting the awards they wanted on American or Alaska. I read on a couple of other forums (FlyerTalk) that the BA rewards app was really really glitchy around April-June and many people were
very frustrated in trying to redeem their Avios. This coincided with BA's change of vendor s/w & service for their mileage awards. I hope they got it all worked out by now...
It might be hard to get flights on Alaska to Hawaii, as I read the award seat must be available at the lowest Alaska award redemption miles level, in order to use Avios.

I went ahead and got the British Airways CC anyway for the bonus Avios mentioned in prior posts. Gotta reroof the house, and that $ spend should get me about 85K avios to play with :whooopie:

Good to know I can transfer my Chase UR pts to British Airways if I need to. I have just been using them directly from UR to book flights.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Y'know several weeks ago, I asked about using the British Airways(BA) CC and using Avios on American and Alaska in the Tug Lounge.

Some of us have been posting about the benefits of BA Avios for years. I've used it for Hawaii flights for the last ~7 years.

I don't frequent the lounge as often as I used to, but there's always the possibility of searching TUG...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Chase portal is also expanding their air and hotel options. I was just looking this morning at several Maui condo and hotel options that can be paid with points or points and cash.

I always compare the portal pricing with UR points with the air/hotel reward transfer options to find out the best point redemption value before transferring points to the partner.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Don't forget, BA Avios charge per segment so the best bang for the Avio are non stop flights.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
On paper it sounded good because of the BA mileage charts, but I wanted to know if anyone had personal experience getting the awards they wanted on American or Alaska. I read on a couple of other forums (FlyerTalk) that the BA rewards app was really really glitchy around April-June and many people were
very frustrated in trying to redeem their Avios. This coincided with BA's change of vendor s/w & service for their mileage awards. I hope they got it all worked out by now...
It might be hard to get flights on Alaska to Hawaii, as I read the award seat must be available at the lowest Alaska award redemption miles level, in order to use Avios.

I went ahead and got the British Airways CC anyway for the bonus Avios mentioned in prior posts. Gotta reroof the house, and that $ spend should get me about 85K avios to play with :whooopie:

Good to know I can transfer my Chase UR pts to British Airways if I need to. I have just been using them directly from UR to book flights.

In June, we got 4 rt lax/ogg on American. I had to adjust our trip 1 day on the front end and 2 days on the back end though.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
To add you as a supplemental card holder is another $75 per year but well worth it.
Unfortunately it would count as another card for you in the 5/24 Chase rule and could limit you getting other Chase cards. If that isn't your plan then it's a non issue

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Unfortunately it would count as another card for you in the 5/24 Chase rule and could limit you getting other Chase cards. If that isn't your plan then it's a non issue

Oh I thought the 5/24 rule only applied to the primary card holder. We're okay tho and nowhere near that with 2 different cards total, plus 1 no fee one chase gave us years ago for our checking/savings type.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Supplemental cards don't count towards 5/24. Only the primary card holder is tracked and is responsible. I spoke with Chase rep and was told this.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Supplemental cards don't count towards 5/24. Only the primary card holder is tracked and is responsible. I spoke with Chase rep and was told this.
If you track the blogs this is inconsistent and is rep dependent. It at times involves a long involved reconsideration call explaining that you aren't finally dependent for that card. We just dont do it any more but if you are well under it makes sense

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a supplemental card holder, the account does not appear in their credit history reporting at all. It makes a difference because it does not show up in the 5/24 tracking.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is credit card dependent. For instance, the Chase BA is not limited by the 5/24 rule. But, once you have, it limits you for future cards.

Some Biz cards show up in people Credit reports and some don’t. So some count and some don’t. So, there is really no simple answer here...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I wasn’t able to use BA Avios to book tickets on AA for next year. I have done it successfully in the past but there wasn’t any availability. I even called and they couldn’t find it.

I hope this was a one time thing because it is fantastic when it works. But it isn’t a guarantee.

Best,

Greg

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I wasn’t able to use BA Avios to book tickets on AA for next year. I have done it successfully in the past but there wasn’t any availability. I even called and they couldn’t find it.

I hope this was a one time thing because it is fantastic when it works. But it isn’t a guarantee.

Best,

Greg

This has always been the case. I always search one way and keep searching, sometimes daily, when they aren’t available. In the last two years or so it seems seat availability timing has also changed again. I’ve purchased at least two one ways with cash and used Avios for the other way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
You can also use the CSR points to purchase tickets directly with Chase travel. One point converts to 1.5 travel points. That way there are no blackout dates. If there is a seat available you get it.

You get a free Priority Pass Select membership with CSR card. They have lounges at most airports.

Clarkrock7

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP: it sounds like you may think you have to transfer the ultimate rewards (chase) points right away. You Don't! Chase has lots of partners and as others have said the points can also be used through Chase's own portal to book directly. Research for availability and then transfer to book.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Fortunately the dates we normally travel show availability and at a much lower point cost than AA direct. And to book it is a direct flight.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - Since Alaska took over Virgin America, their inventory initially trended towards WAY too generous and is not becoming far more restrictive. There has been some blog coverage of this. To be clear, the Avios redemption level is booking into AS inventory so that will have a direct impact on availability since you need to have the lowest award category available to access this. Travel dynamics to HI from the west coast are also very likely to change once Southwest enters the market.

re: Authorized User, I had a situation where I was right at 5/24 and was able to reserve a decline that was triggered due to showing up as an Authorized User on my wife's CSR card. While not every rep may interpret it correctly, authorized users are 100% not supposed to count towards 5/24.