• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten Summit to RCI Points

TravelinGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara, HGVC Boulevard, Summit at Massanutten, Grandview
Hi everyone,

I just bought resale an annual 4 BR lockoff at Massanutten Summit (floats 1-52) which includes 2018, and I also bought resale an annual 61K RCI Points week at Grandview.

My goal is to PFD the Summit week into my (upcoming) Grandview RCI Points account to get maximum number of RCI points.

Can someone explain the specific steps I need to do to transfer the Summit week(s) into RCI Points?

Can I do it all through RCI, or do I first need to call Summit and reserve two high-points weeks (such as 51/52)? If a reservation is needed, how likely am I to get a week 51 and 52 in 2018, since it's already Jul/Aug? And if 51 and 52 are not available in 2018, what would be the next highest point week to try to reserve? Thanksgiving?

Once I have the week(s) reserved, do I then transfer them to RCI Weeks before transferring to RCI Points? Or can I transfer directly to RCI Points? Which way is better?

Do the transfers to RCI need to be done by phone, or can they be done online?

Any help from the RCI and Summit gurus out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s. FYI, I'm planning to just use RCI Points and not RCI Weeks (so not looking for TPUs).

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Unless what you bought at Massanutten is already in points then you will have to pay the resort at least several thousand dollars to convert what you have from weeks to points. You can call the resort and they will transfer you to sales to find out how much it will cost you. Otherwise you are stuck with having two different types of ownership, weeks and points.

TravelinGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless what you bought at Massanutten is already in points then you will have to pay the resort at least several thousand dollars to convert what you have from weeks to points. You can call the resort and they will transfer you to sales to find out how much it will cost you. Otherwise you are stuck with having two different types of ownership, weeks and points.

Thanks Jan. I believe Summit is unique among the Massanuttens in that it has not yet moved to Points. So their Weeks are still capable of being PFD'ed into Points. But it's the specific steps that I'm unsure of...

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I believe you are going to have a hard time reserving anything decent for 2018 and will need to prepay 2019 MF and reserve something right away for 2019. You can reserve with Summit 1-52 2 years in advance. I believe when I checked in late June of this year ( I usually only prepay and reserve a year in advance) 4th of July week and weeks 51 and 52 were already gone for 2019. There were still other summer weeks which should be just as high though but if it takes too long they will be gone too.

You need to reserve the week, you need to deposit it in your rci weeks account and then you need to call rci and pay the pdf fee.

TravelinGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe you are going to have a hard time reserving anything decent for 2018 and will need to prepay 2019 MF and reserve something right away for 2019. You can reserve with Summit 1-52 2 years in advance. I believe when I checked in late June of this year ( I usually only prepay and reserve a year in advance) 4th of July week and weeks 51 and 52 were already gone for 2019. There were still other summer weeks which should be just as high though but if it takes too long they will be gone too.

You need to reserve the week, you need to deposit it in your rci weeks account and then you need to call rci and pay the pdf fee.

Got it, thanks!

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
For PFD, you only need a red week. You don't have to have 4th of July or Christmas. You might look to see if Thanksgiving is considered red. Once you reserve the week and want to deposit your week, you want to tell RCI that you want to deposit as two 2 bedroom units. They will send you a notification once it is officially deposited. That is when you can call RCI and do the PFD into points.

TravelinGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For PFD, you only need a red week. You don't have to have 4th of July or Christmas. You might look to see if Thanksgiving is considered red. Once you reserve the week and want to deposit your week, you want to tell RCI that you want to deposit as two 2 bedroom units. They will send you a notification once it is officially deposited. That is when you can call RCI and do the PFD into points.

So if I understand correctly, I make the initial reservation with Summit as a 4-bedroom (red week)? And then when I want to deposit to RCI Weeks, that's when I tell RCI that I want to deposit it as two 2-bedroom units?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There isn't going to be any Thanksgiving 2018 available. For someone who owns a 1-52 it isn't a particularly good week. There are those who own 1-12 and 40-50 and Thanksgiving is as good as it gets for them so they book not 2 years in advance but by January or Februaray I bet Thanksgiving week was gone.
For PIC weeks with Wyndham any red week is as good as any other for PFD not so much. You get the same as RCI charges for that week (not counting any sales). It has to be deposited and verified with RCI 90 days minimum in advance to get the full point value.

Early November week weeks get 25,500 for upper and 24,500 for lower. Thanksgiving gets 43,500/42,000 and the late November up until Xmas weeks get about 15,500/15,000.

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree. It is probably too late to find a red for this year. However, I have deposited a late August week and a week 22 in the past and PFD was the same as holiday weeks because they were considered red season. The TPU was significantly less, but when I did the PFD it was still 60500 per unit.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I somewhat agree. It is probably too late to find a red for this year. However, I have deposited a late August week and a week 22 in the past and PFD was the same as holiday weeks because they were considered red season. The TPU was significantly less, but when I did the PFD it was still 60500 per unit.

Summit has taken a hit with PFD over the last 2 years. Most summer weeks are all the same and are the same as week 51 and 52 but off of true summer it drops and even summer is down a bit.

Looking at 2019 May and early June 35,000/32,500, Mid June-43,500/42,000; late June-early August 51,500/49,000; mid August-early August 43,500/42,000 and then back to 35,000/32,000 for the rest of September.

technically RCI calls all of these weeks red:

RED January 06 - March 17

RED May 05 -November 24

RED December 22- December 31

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

What is Points for Deposit?

PFD

Points® for Deposit allows RCI Points® subscribing members, who also own an eligible week at an RCI Weeks affiliated resort, to deposit that week with RCI and receive Points for that deposit. They can then use those Points in the RCI Points exchange program.

By combining your ownerships in this way, you can increase your Points balance and increase the flexibility of RCI Points membership, opening up possibilities for stays at resorts for which you may otherwise have had insufficient Points, longer trips or even more trips.

Even if your week is already deposited in the RCI Weeks exchange program, if it is eligible for Points for Deposit, you can still take advantage of this program. You can convert up to 4 eligible weeks per resort per calendar year to Points through the Points for Deposit program.

Source: RCI

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points to get into a resort changes by resort, but PFD isnt resort specific. It has always been based on room size, region, RCI crown rating , and season. Two bedroom, southeast, gold crown, red week gets 60500.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Points to get into a resort changes by resort, but PFD isnt resort specific. It has always been based on room size, region, RCI crown rating , and season. Two bedroom, southeast, gold crown, red week gets 60500.

The last published grid for pfd was in 2009. Since then Virginia has moved from the Carolinas and the South to the Mid Atlantic region which has a lower value. Even in 2009 it was based on Month not "Red" season. The 2006 grid was the last time RCI used Red, White and Blue to describe time periods.
http://www.rci.com/docs/KnowledgeBase/Attachments/2009_ConversionGrids.pdf
http://www.rci.com/GPN/CDA/Common/pdf/RCI_ExGridsUpdate1.pdf This one does say the date but it was from 2006.

Since they haven't published a grid since 2009, I imagine it is so they can be more dynamic and change the values as needed. Even though not resort specific, some regions have ranges to allow for differences by resort. Also the amount given has always been the amount that it costs to trade in both for pdf and points resorts (although true points resorts don't change in points values).

Last edited:

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on that grid, it is based on month. I thought the months corresponded to seasons, but could be wrong. The Mid-Atlantic move doesn't mix with my experience the last 5 years. I always get 60500 per 2br unit. Mid-atlantic doesn't get that anytime throughout the year for a 2br. I just deposited two 2019 units last month and again got 60500 each. That grid is very helpful and I've never seen the number of points not match the grid.