• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Purchase

Should I keep the deal?

• Keep the deal. It's worth it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get out and try to get a resale.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to timeshares and trying to make a decision. Just wondering if getting 20k points with 7200 point bi-yearly at the Grand Islander for $30k is a decent deal vs purchasing in the resale market? I assume I won't be able to get any of the perks of a direct HGVC purchase (membership status, deals, etc).

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do you plan to use it every year as home resort or trade? If use, many of the lower 1 bedrooms units on the north side have a view of air conditioners and roof. If trade, you can do much better $ per point values and trade into GI or elsewhere.

Buy a Vegas resale (Paradise, Blvd, Flamingo) for $8 - 9K or less and get 7000 points annually to trade into GI if that is your desired resort. With 14,000 points you can trade into a nicer unit on a higher floor EOY by combining years for 8K all in plus about $1000 MF per year. Although MF is higher it would take many years to breakeven on the $22000 extra you would pay plus you can stay in a nicer unit for the points.

Rescind, Research, (buy) Resale

Last edited:

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are all points considered equal in HGVC? I assume the only thing that is an advantage is that I get priority at my home resort at GI. I plan to only stay at resorts in Hawaii. Do you still have the option of moving points into HHonors from a resale purchase?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Points are points unless you plan to stay at By Hilton Club (NYC, DC). Resales can convert to HHonors at same rate as dev. But both are not a good value.

GI doesn't sell out because of high point values so priority doesn't matter - you can reserve in club season 6 months. Home week only gets priority in the exact 1 bedroom category you buy for entire week, but may have view of air conditioners.

Plus because GI is a 3rd party dev resort, you cannot trade it in later to buy a different developer unit. HGVC only accepts HGVC resorts as trade-in. Have you stayed at GI before?

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are points. You would have priority at 12 months reserving at your home resort.

HHonors can be elected for resale although it is strongly advised not to because of poor value.

I vote no on the deal.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
New to timeshares and trying to make a decision. Just wondering if getting 20k points with 7200 point bi-yearly at the Grand Islander for $30k is a decent deal vs purchasing in the resale market? I assume I won't be able to get any of the perks of a direct HGVC purchase (membership status, deals, etc).
GI is expensive. Buy at Lagoon Tower. You can get more points for less money, every year. If you only want to go every other, you can rent out the year you're not going, or carry the points over and use the points to stay at GI, or stay two weeks at Lagoon Tower.

For instance, you can buy for $28k 9600 pts, Lagoon tower, 2 bedroom ocean front unit, every year. That's WAY better than what you're getting at GI for $30k. If you go every other year, you'll have 19,200 points to "spend" at GI instead of 7200. But, if you have an OF 2 bedroom at Lagoon, why even go to GI? If you really want Hilton status, get a Hilton CC from AX (Ascend) which gives you Diamond status among other things.

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are points unless you plan to stay at By Hilton Club (NYC, DC). Resales can convert to HHonors at same rate as dev. But both are not a good value.

GI doesn't sell out because of high point values so priority doesn't matter - you can reserve in club season 9 months. Home week only gets priority in the exact 1 bedroom category you buy for entire week, but may have view of air conditioners.

Plus because GI is a 3rd party dev resort, you cannot trade it in later to buy a different developer unit. HGVC only accepts HGVC resorts as trade-in. Have you stayed at GI before?

Yes... Staying there now, but I have a partial ocean view with the view of the pool in a 1 bedroom. Its a really nice resort, but most likely a hit or miss with future stays. They promised higher privileges due to platinum status at 7200, but I don’t think that means anything. They just wanted the sale and loaded us up with points for the initial purchase to fish us in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In addition to Lagoon, you should also consider one bedroom OV in the Kalia Tower. Resales harder to come by but if you wait, you might find a deal.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
GI doesn't sell out because of high point values so priority doesn't matter - you can reserve in club season 9 months.

GI 2br resort views are hard to get. They are usually gone at the 6 month club season window for summer and holidays.

FYI grand islander and hokulani open season is at 6 months not 9 months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes... Staying there now, but I have a partial ocean view with the view of the pool in a 1 bedroom. Its a really nice resort, but most likely a hit or miss with future stays. They promised higher privileges due to platinum status at 7200, but I don’t think that means anything. They just wanted the sale and loaded us up with points for the initial purchase to fish us in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying a platinum unit does not convey status or views. You have to buy a unit that is ocean view. Platinum is the season that you can book during home resort week.

How do you tell when a timeshares salesperson is lying?

When their lips are moving. :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
GI 2br resort views are hard to get. They are usually gone at the 6 month club season window for summer and holidays.

FYI grand islander and hokulani open season is at 6 months not 9 months.

Oops forgot about these exceptions(!) Thanks for pointing out. I just corrected the post to 6 months.

There are many other room types, including 1 bedroom mountain and resort views available at the 6 month window. The OP indicated a 1 bdrm would suffice.

Can you shed light as to why the 2 bedroom resort view is so desired? We stayed in one this summer and I much prefer the Lagoon Tower. The finishes were nice, view over pool and Hale Koa good, but thought the unit was small and dark compared to Lagoon.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Hmm.. you can get 7,200 HGVC Every Other Year (EOY) @ Grand Waikikian via resale for less than $8,000 + Closing Fees. So is 20,000 Points (HONORS or HGVC) worth $20,000? No.

From http://judikoz.com/Search.aspx

1995C01C-041F-4044-8C8B-4498658E579E.jpeg

Yep, get out while you can. You’ll only have one chance to rescind. Learn about the program first on TUG then if you’re still interested buy resale.

You basically bought the lowest level (one bedroom garden view = lowest floors with no view).
Grand Waikikian Views -
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/gw_layoutandpoints-pdf.1470/

Grand Waikikian Point Chart (see below)
Point Charts can be found at https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/hawaii-oahu
3C8D89D9-08CB-455C-B281-2E28B01EE462.png

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oops forgot about these exceptions(!) Thanks for pointing out. I just corrected the post to 6 months.

There are many other room types, including 1 bedroom mountain and resort views available at the 6 month window. The OP indicated a 1 bdrm would suffice.

Can you shed light as to why the 2 bedroom resort view is so desired? We stayed in one this summer and I much prefer the Lagoon Tower. The finishes were nice, view over pool and Hale Koa good, but thought the unit was small and dark compared to Lagoon.
I have no idea why it would be so hard to book. The only reason why is that there are probably less than 30 of these 2br std units. If you look at last week of march 2019, the only gi units missing days are the 2br standard view. Well the penthouse views are not showing but unless you own gi penthouse you cannot book those.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
For instance, you can buy for $28k 9600 pts, Lagoon tower, 2 bedroom ocean front unit, every year.

Hands down I haven’t followed the resale prices at HI but $28k for 9600 points sounds very high. If you are booking during club season where points are points I would recommend buying points in Vegas with lower buyin costs.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Hands down I haven’t followed the resale prices at HI but $28k for 9600 points sounds very high. If you are booking during club season where points are points I would recommend buying points in Vegas with lower buyin costs.
Yes, if you are working with club season, you can get those points for FAR less.

I did a quick Redweek lookup for buying AT Lagoon Tower, something of a worst-case scenario price-wise, allowing for Home Week ownership, and it was STILL way, way, less expensive and/or better than the offer made to the poster. This would allow the poster to get more than twice as much (more points, every year) AND home week in Hawaii (meaning access to prime times such as Spring Break and summer, important if you have kids in school) for about $2,000 less.

Simply put, if you want to spend $30k, you can have every other year 1-bedroom in GI (buy from developer), or every year, 2 bedroom ocean-front in Lagoon Tower (buy on secondary market). If you have flexible travel dates, you can probably get those same 9600 pts for a third of that amount and use club season, though that's less flexible and less sure.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are working with club season, you can get those points for FAR less.

I did a quick Redweek lookup for buying AT Lagoon Tower, something of a worst-case scenario price-wise, allowing for Home Week ownership, and it was STILL way, way, less expensive and/or better than the offer made to the poster. This would allow the poster to get more than twice as much (more points, every year) AND home week in Hawaii (meaning access to prime times such as Spring Break and summer, important if you have kids in school) for about $2,000 less.

Simply put, if you want to spend $30k, you can have every other year 1-bedroom in GI (buy from developer), or every year, 2 bedroom ocean-front in Lagoon Tower (buy on secondary market). If you have flexible travel dates, you can probably get those same 9600 pts for a third of that amount and use club season, though that's less flexible and less sure.

Is the 2br OF really that expensive I mean approx $30k resale is a lot for a week in HI?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Is the 2br OF really that expensive I mean approx $30k resale is a lot for a week in HI?
Just a quick Redweek check (these are Lagoon Tower):

upload_2018-7-29_1-54-4.png

I recently paid $15,500 for 8400 pts, Lagoon Tower, 2-bed plus (ocean view). There are very limited ocean front units in Lagoon Tower and they get something of a premium. Grand Waikikian is even more than Lagoon Tower, though I don't know why.

Hawaii TS have been holding and even increasing in cost. Marriott in Maui costs even more, despite maintenance fees that are double what Hilton costs.

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually, I would prefer 2 bedrooms, but it didn't feel right to pay $50k for it at GI. :)

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score

Where do I find information on what HGVC club season means? I'm assuming that it has any relation to Gold vs. Platinum?

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why it would be so hard to book. The only reason why is that there are probably less than 30 of these 2br std units. If you look at last week of march 2019, the only gi units missing days are the 2br standard view. Well the penthouse views are not showing but unless you own gi penthouse you cannot book those.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You might be right on the supply and demand side of things. I heard from the sales guy that GI is popular with Japanese tourists on summer break. They might be taking up priority at GI due to how new and modern it is, but that is just my guess. :) Will most likely die down once the resort gets a little older.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do I find information on what HGVC club season means? I'm assuming that it has any relation to Gold vs. Platinum?
Club season is where all points are equal. For most resorts(by far) club season starts 276 days before checkout date(referred to as 9months)

Open season is for most resorts 30 days before checkout date.

Home week can be booked 365 - 276 days before checkout.

This sticky have good info: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...y-hilton-club-booking-window-overview.274977/

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 7607

I recently paid $15,500 for 8400 pts, Lagoon Tower, 2-bed plus (ocean view). There are very limited ocean front units in Lagoon Tower and they get something of a premium. Grand Waikikian is even more than Lagoon Tower, though I don't know why.

Hawaii TS have been holding and even increasing in cost. Marriott in Maui costs even more, despite maintenance fees that are double what Hilton costs.

Thanks

I’m still surprised that they command a premium.

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 7607

From the words of the sales guy, GI is a more modern version of the Grand Waikikian. Not sure what that means, cause I haven't seen what Grand Waikikian has to offer. Also, the sales guy says that demand and cost for Hawaii as a destination is getting higher and higher each year, but that is coming from the words of the sales guy.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I will just add to the advice that you have previously been given. Rescind now while you have the chance. After that is complete, then you can further research. You can always buy this same offer from the developer again but I am sure that resales will be a much wizer choice.