• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunscreen ban seeks to protect coral reefs

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
https://www.travelweekly.com/Hawaii-Travel/Insights/Sunscreen-ban-seeks-to-protect-coral-reefs
By Tovin Lapan / Travel Weekly / May 25, 2018

“The Hawaii legislature has passed a ban on sunscreens containing chemicals believed to harm coral reefs.

Hawaii is the first state to prohibit the sale and distribution of sunscreen with oxybenzone and octinoxate, which scientists have discovered contributes to coral bleaching when washed off in the ocean.

The state legislature considered a similar bill in 2017 but it stalled out before passage. This year it made it through both houses, and now awaits the signature of Gov. David Ige. The new rules are not set to take effect until Jan. 1, 2021.

Reefs around the globe, from Australia's Great Barrier Reef to Haunama Bay in Hawaii and off Florida's southern coast, have suffered serious damage in the last few years after consecutive bleaching events. Bleaching occurs when corals are stressed by warmer-than-average water temperatures and other factors, and the colorful photosynthetic algae that live inside, zooxanthellae, are expelled. The coral cannot survive without the symbiotic relationship, and when ocean temperatures do not return to normal quickly enough, the reefs may die. Pollution, including sewage and agricultural runoff, are serious threats to reef heath, as well, but switching sunscreens is one way swimmers and those who enjoy the ocean can have an impact, proponents of the ban say....”
9F19D896-A167-44FC-9E5B-8BA254BCC212.jpeg

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
This legislation was signed by the Governor Tuesday. It does not prohibit the possession or use of the sunscreen containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, just the sale of such sunscreens.

It certainly pits those wishing to protect the coral reefs against dermatologists who believe people will use no sunscreen or less-effective mineral-based sunscreen.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
https://www.travelweekly.com/Hawaii-Travel/Insights/Sunscreen-ban-seeks-to-protect-coral-reefs
By Tovin Lapan / Travel Weekly / May 25, 2018

“The Hawaii legislature has passed a ban on sunscreens containing chemicals believed to harm coral reefs.

Hawaii is the first state to prohibit the sale and distribution of sunscreen with oxybenzone and octinoxate, which scientists have discovered contributes to coral bleaching when washed off in the ocean.

The state legislature considered a similar bill in 2017 but it stalled out before passage. This year it made it through both houses, and now awaits the signature of Gov. David Ige. The new rules are not set to take effect until Jan. 1, 2021.

Reefs around the globe, from Australia's Great Barrier Reef to Haunama Bay in Hawaii and off Florida's southern coast, have suffered serious damage in the last few years after consecutive bleaching events. Bleaching occurs when corals are stressed by warmer-than-average water temperatures and other factors, and the colorful photosynthetic algae that live inside, zooxanthellae, are expelled. The coral cannot survive without the symbiotic relationship, and when ocean temperatures do not return to normal quickly enough, the reefs may die. Pollution, including sewage and agricultural runoff, are serious threats to reef heath, as well, but switching sunscreens is one way swimmers and those who enjoy the ocean can have an impact, proponents of the ban say....”
View attachment 7303

I just hope the sunscreen manufacturers use the next 2 years to come up with some good alternative sunscreens. While I rarely go in the water, I must use it every time I go out in the sun (melanoma survivor) and the I don't like the non-oxybenzone alternatives that I have tried in the past. Because this is just a State of Hawaii Law and not the rest of the U.S. or World, the manufacturers don't have a large economic interest in developing alternatives.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I just hope the sunscreen manufacturers use the next 2 years to come up with some good alternative sunscreens. While I rarely go in the water, I must use it every time I go out in the sun (melanoma survivor) and the I don't like the non-oxybenzone alternatives that I have tried in the past. Because this is just a State of Hawaii Law and not the rest of the U.S. or World, the manufacturers don't have a large economic interest in developing alternatives.

I also hope the next couple of years will bring about some research into effective sunscreens. The mineral-based sunscreens only reflect UVA/UVB rays instead of absorbing them as the chemical-based sunscreens do. As such, the mineral-based sunscreens are not as effective and allow more penetration of UVA/UVB rays.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Oxybenzone and octinoxate are in many, many personal care products (make-up, hair conditioner, nail polish, fragrance) as both a product quality preservative and SPF-boosting additive. These, and sunscreens, are all used everywhere, not just at the beach. In a 2003 study, 96% of American adults tested had traces of these toxic chemicals in the urine. Apparently, we don't clear them out nearly as fast as we absorb them through our skin. Some toxin is washed/showered off and enters sewage. Research (best I can see on the CDC and NCBI/NIH websites) has yet not shown an effective method of removing or safely altering these toxins through water treatment facilities so most of it ends up in the oceans eventually. Sunscreen at the beach is just a part of the problem.

In mammal research, these chemicals have been linked to increased free radicals in the skin and hormone (think thyroid or estrogen) disruption. This may be a concern for both land and marine mammals exposed to significant amounts, as well as the corals. But the consistent application of these chemicals to our skin has been demonstrated to significantly reduce the incidence of (potentially lethal) squamous and basal cell carcinomas. There's the big catch.

Sunblocks, like greasy, white, zinc-oxide-based creams are also highly effective but clog pores and people don't like the appearance of them. Other, more "natural" sunscreens are much more expensive, less widely available, and importantly, provide less protection with an SPF rating only up to 20-30. Australia (like Hawaii, their beaches are closer to the equator than the southern U.S.) has a benchmark SPF of 50+ for sunscreen products. Efficacy (effectiveness) is primary in fighting cancer.

We need sun protection that is effective, safe for us and safe for the environment. Multiple areas of research are needed. This new law is just the tiny tip of a large iceberg, IMO.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second that. I live walking distance to Hanauma Bay, but I have not been in the ocean in five years or maybe longer than that. I will not feel guilty about buying my sunscreen when I travel to the mainland and wearing that in Hawaii.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just hope the sunscreen manufacturers use the next 2 years to come up with some good alternative sunscreens...

Two or three days ago the was an article in the Dallas Morning News about a company that right now sells a sunscreen that doesn't have the objectionable ingredients...

George

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We used this on our HI trip at the end of June:

https://shop.gothinkbaby.com/Thinksport-Safe-Sunscreen-SPF-50--6oz-Family-Size_p_348.html

I am very prone to sunburn, and this (plus finding shade on the beach when possible and wearing a rash guard while snorkeling) kept me burn-free the entire time.

(Note: it's quite a bit cheaper at Amazon, and a little goes a long way.)
I just checked Amazon's price for Thinksport SPF50 sunscreen and the 6 oz bottle is a little cheaper, about $19. That is about twice the price I usually pay for an 8 oz bottle of my current sunscreen in Honolulu. However, I do buy it on sale in NY for less. We vacation in Hawaii for quite a number of days each year and I use a lot of sunscreen everyday since we are always out walking around most of the day. While I do bring an 8 oz. tube to Hawaii, I usually buy a number of them there. The weight limit on our luggage does make bringing a large supply prohibitive. I hope that the sunscreen manufacturers do develop alternatives and make the price more competitive.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Two or three days ago the was an article in the Dallas Morning News about a company that right now sells a sunscreen that doesn't have the objectionable ingredients...

George

There are quite a few sunscreens that do not have the list of banned ingredients. However, they are all mineral-based sunscreens which have been proven to be less effective in blocking UVA/UVB rays. Hopefully, the sunscreen companies are working overtime to develop a reef-safe sunscreen with an ingredient that absorbs the UVA/UVB rays similar to today's more effective sunscreens.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
We used this on our HI trip at the end of June:

https://shop.gothinkbaby.com/Thinksport-Safe-Sunscreen-SPF-50--6oz-Family-Size_p_348.html

I am very prone to sunburn, and this (plus finding shade on the beach when possible and wearing a rash guard while snorkeling) kept me burn-free the entire time.

(Note: it's quite a bit cheaper at Amazon, and a little goes a long way.)
How is it to apply? I bought Blue Lizard for when I went into the ocean last month in Maui, and while it did protect me from the sun, applying the product was truly awful. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

And FWIW, just about every major manufacturer now makes zinc-based sunscreen, most of which can be found at any Target.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How is it to apply? I bought Blue Lizard for when I went into the ocean last month in Maui, and while it did protect me from the sun, applying the product was truly awful. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

And FWIW, just about every major manufacturer now makes zinc-based sunscreen, most of which can be found at any Target.

I look at this quest for a new sunscreen like the quest for other items that my husband and I feel comfortable with and like only to have to change because the manufacturer stops making it or, in this case, the government changes the law. It is not like our needs or desires have changed. It is the others are making us change. and I

My husband and I used MBT sneaker/shoes for many years for walking long distances. I liked the leg conditioning that it provided. MBT went out of business. I found other sneakers but must sacrifice that conditioning benefit. Since my husband has a torn cartilage is the knee and needs the plush cushioning he had to find an alternative for walking long distances without pain.

My husband found and used the HOKA Valor style for many years. Recently HOKA stopped making the Valor model, and the other HOKA styles do not have the great plush cushioning that he needs.

Now our quest for a new sunblock!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a little "stickier" but I did not find it to be too difficult.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
It's a little "stickier" but I did not find it to be too difficult.
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a small tube to try it out, and while I have only tried it in the sun thus far, I do like it more than Blue Lizard. It goes on a little smoother, has a pleasant scent, and didn't require scrubbing to wash off. Oh, and it seemed to protect just as well as traditional sunscreen (went 50/50 with this and Hawaiian Tropic). The real test will be in the water, but I'm very optimistic.

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

My wife is also a Melanoma survivor. Her dermatologist recommends only using the Mineral sunscreens because they reflect and don't absorb the suns rays. The Dr says tt's better that the sun rays don't even hit your skin, and asked if we really wanted chemical reactions occurring on our skin as is what happens with the non-mineral/chemical based sunscreens.

There are quite a few sunscreens that do not have the list of banned ingredients. However, they are all mineral-based sunscreens which have been proven to be less effective in blocking UVA/UVB rays. Hopefully, the sunscreen companies are working overtime to develop a reef-safe sunscreen with an ingredient that absorbs the UVA/UVB rays similar to today's more effective sunscreens.

I have not seen any scientific studies showing mineral suncreens are less effective in blocking UVA/UVB rays than non-mineral suncreens. Consumer reports (which I don't consider a scientific/medical journal) only proved that many sunscreen manufacturers overstate the SPF rating. Approx 50% of non-mineral suncreens overstate the SPF on their label, and Approx 70% of mineral sunscreens overstate the SPF on their label. Overstating the SPF is not the same as being less effective.

Banana Boat Kids Simply Protect is a major name brand mineral suncreen sold at walmart/target stores here in CA. There are several other less well known brands that are also sold in the same stores.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My wife is also a Melanoma survivor. Her dermatologist recommends only using the Mineral sunscreens because they reflect and don't absorb the suns rays. The Dr says tt's better that the sun rays don't even hit your skin, and asked if we really wanted chemical reactions occurring on our skin as is what happens with the non-mineral/chemical based sunscreens.

I have not seen any scientific studies showing mineral suncreens are less effective in blocking UVA/UVB rays than non-mineral suncreens. Consumer reports (which I don't consider a scientific/medical journal) only proved that many sunscreen manufacturers overstate the SPF rating. Approx 50% of non-mineral suncreens overstate the SPF on their label, and Approx 70% of mineral sunscreens overstate the SPF on their label. Overstating the SPF is not the same as being less effective.

Banana Boat Kids Simply Protect is a major name brand mineral suncreen sold at walmart/target stores here in CA. There are several other less well known brands that are also sold in the same stores.

I also do not believe Consumer Reports is a scientific journal but I do believe they are independent and not beholden to anyone. You said that Consumer Reports "only proved" an overstatement of SPF. However, they also said the following:
In our tests over the years, so-called natural or mineral sunscreens—those that contain only titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or both as active ingredients—have tended to perform less well than those that have chemical active ingredients, such as avobenzone. None of the mineral sunscreens in our tests this year did well enough to make our list of recommendations.​

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My husband's Dermatologist urges clothing with SPF 50 or above ratings as well as SPF 50 suncreen. The Dermatologist does not specify type of sunscreen. My husband primary cover is SPF 50 Clothing for intense sun exposure. He uses Banana Boat Sport SPF 50 on his face, neck, hands, and lower legs that remain exposed, as well as his arms and shoulders for short exposure periods. I will mention the Banana Boat Kid for him to check out.

It is important that the sunscreen be easy to apply as well as readily rub in and not be oily particularly when you are using it on your face and using it everyday, like in Hawaii even in the winter, not just when you go to the beach in the summer in colder climates.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't bother with sunscreen as it doesn't even work very long. I don't care how i look but I wear a full sun shirt and a wide brim hat to cover up my face neck and ears.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't bother with sunscreen as it doesn't even work very long. I don't care how i look but I wear a full sun shirt and a wide brim hat to cover up my face neck and ears.

We are the kind of people that would like to wear a limited amount of clothing most of the time when it is warm out and not have air conditioning. My husband wears an SPF 50 rated thin jacket most of the time out in the sun. On the beach he wears an SFP 50 rated sun broad rimed hat along with the jacket. When going to other places when he doesn't want to have to wear, carry or store a hat he wears an SPF 50 thin jacket with a hood . When he gets out of the intense sun exposure he takes off the jacket and has a tank top or short sleeve shirt on. He uses the SPF 50 sunblock on his face, shoulders, arms, legs, and hands so that he still has protection and can remain cool.