• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea Maui: ? on exchange view

spears2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into a 2-bedroom unit at Westin Nanea in Maui. Our II confirmation says it is unit 2206. Is there a way to find out what the view is on this unit? Does the resort typically give you the unit on the exchange, or will it be whichever 2-bed they decide to put us in?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No guarantees.

My experience with other Vistana exchanges is that the room number on the exchange form is completely irrelevant except as to room size and category.

Ful disclosure: We also have an upcoming exchange into Nanea and are hoping for the best.

spears2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. That's what I thought. My fingers are crossed for a nice view. Would be amazing if we can see whales from the lanai!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We went last Nov in low season when they had just opened the new building so we were hopeful of receiving some kind of view. We received a view of the other building, but it could have been worse. There are quite a few units that face the parking lot, so I would set your expectation bar low. We weren't unhappy because as exchangers we know not to expect much but of course a view would have been better. I asked for a unit with a view if possible and Jade, the front desk clerk, shut us down immediately and reminded us of our lowly exchanger status. We must have caught her on a bad day but it got our stay off to an unpleasant start.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We exchanged into a 2-bedroom unit at Westin Nanea in Maui. Our II confirmation says it is unit 2206. Is there a way to find out what the view is on this unit? Does the resort typically give you the unit on the exchange, or will it be whichever 2-bed they decide to put us in?

I believe 2206 is just a placeholder as you will not be assigned a unit until the night before your arrival.

There are only two views at Nanea, Oceanfront View and Resort View. Unit 2206 would be in Building 2 which is all Resort View. The even-numbered villas in that building overlook a koi pond.

There are 16 2-bedroom Oceanfront View villas and 294 2-bedroom Resort View villas at Nanea.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Update on Nanea views: If at all possible you want to avoid Buildings 3, 5 and 6. Half of the villas in each of those buildings have a view of the parking lots.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Update on Nanea views: If at all possible you want to avoid Buildings 3, 5 and 6. Half of the villas in each of those buildings have a view of the parking lots.

Can you actually ask to avoid a building? Going on exchange in November.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm sure you can ask whatever you like. Whether that request will be granted is another thing.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I'm sure you can ask whatever you like. Whether that request will be granted is another thing.

I'm going to agree with @Luanne as I believe the pecking order in fulfilling requests and assigning villas would be: 1) Nanea owners with Home Resort reservations; 2) Nanea owners with Staroption reservations; 3) Other Vistana owners with Staroption reservations; 4) Exchangers.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm going to agree with @Luanne as I believe the pecking order in fulfilling requests and assigning villas would be: 1) Nanea owners with Home Resort reservations; 2) Nanea owners with Staroption reservations; 3) Other Vistana owners with Staroption reservations; 4) Exchangers.

I do not think it is correct that Nanea Owners using SOs have 2nd priority (or priority over non-Nanea owners using SOs).
I suggest you look at the CCRs (Owners Manual).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I do not think it is correct that Nanea Owners using SOs have 2nd priority (or priority over non-Nanea owners using SOs).
I suggest you look at the CCRs (Owners Manual).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you're right. 2) and 3) are treated equally per the legal documents which cover reservations (an automated system).

However, requests, unlike the reservations themselves covered by the Owners Manual, are handled by humans and not an automated system.

When those requests are handled at Nanea and there is a conflict with a Nanea owner who will be annually at the resort and another non-Nanea owner, who do you think is going to get the request fulfilled? Both of the StarOption reservation groups are going after the Resort View villas so when specific building requests are made Nanea staff are protected by saying each reservation was filled with a "Resort View".

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Even if a placeholder, 2206 sounds like unit we had on II exchange last November. That's bldg 2, 2nd floor overlooking the central garden courtyard. I called ahead and requested a non ground floor unit, and so got what I asked for. I'm glad they didn't give us parking lot, could have been much worse.

I think the better resort view is in Bldg 4(?) or whichever bldg is directly opposite bldg 2, and facing south to bldg 2. Their lanais get morning sun and is a little shady in the afternoon. Bldg 2 courtyard lanais don't get much direct sunlight.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I can tell you that having an SPG credit card allowed us to check into an ocean view unit in March of this year. That was whale season, a gem of an exchange, and it was nice to have that view for sure. The woman at the front desk was extremely nice and welcomed us as SPG members, as though that matters with exchange. So maybe they have wised up since that exchange.

The landscaping has a long way to go to get that lush look of the other resorts. I was missing the gigantic plants at the other resorts on Maui. :)