• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Returning to Kauai this Sunday

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
All packed up and ready to go back to Marriott Waiohai Beach Club for three weeks.
Been going there as renters for the past 7 years. Now finally going as owners.

Will let everyone know about any changes we see.

Looking forward to the most:
  • Lighting a giant box of Costco fireworks on Poipu Beach
  • Watching my son boogieboard at Brennake Beach
  • Hearing the kids go toad hunting at night
  • Gorilla Bowls from Makai Sushi
  • Fish Tacos from Merriman's
  • Braised Beef from Eating House
  • Poke from Koloa Fish market
  • Watching the thousands of green parrots return to the Beach House
  • Dozing in a hammock while it drizzles rain
  • Paying LESS for gasoline than I pay in California....

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, paying LESS for gas? It was more than where I'm at in OC earlier this month, running about $3.89 a gallon there.

Still envious that you get to spend three weeks there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lighting a giant box of Costco fireworks on Poipu Beach
I bet this is illegal and if not illegal it is certainly not environmentally friendly. Please go to a fireworks show instead.

*I looked it up - it is illegal to use fireworks on public beaches and parks in Hawaii, and there are lots of other restrictions - better do your research before you buy.

Watching the thousands of green parrots return to the Beach House
What?

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hey, stop by Wisconsin on your way and I’ll go with you. :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Are they selling fireworks at the Costco on Kauai? Shooting off fireworks on the beach is not a good idea at all.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Sooooo, as for the resort and area:
  • United flight from LAX was an oven. The AC was trickling cool air. Felt like 90 degrees for 5 hours.
  • Budget was amazingly fast. I've had Fastbreak for years, but this was the first time they just swiped my card, handed me the contract and sent me directly to my car. Took all of 2 minutes.
  • This was probably mentioned elsewhere... Waiohai is using the "MagicBands" now. Not sure what else to call them. They are rubber wristbands with prox sensors in them. The can be used to open your room door and open the parking garage lift gate, and of course they serve as a pool wristband. They are $15 per person. If you change rooms they need to be reprogrammed. They can be used at any Marriott resort that has the technology. I am guessing there is a battery in them, similar to Disney's bands, so they probably have a life of 5 years or so. We got them for the whole family. If the band snaps, they will not give you a replacement. They come in two sizes and one color - blue. We really like the convenience of them. The only problem for me is that mine is a bit snug so I don't want to take it off every night, but the rubber catches on my pillow, twisting and waking me up. Another observation is that you have to put the band directly against the sensor for it to work. I was hoping it would detect at a few inches away.
  • The Marketplace has been completely remodeled. Looks a lot like Ko Olina's marketplace, but smaller. Very tall display walls in the center of the store, making it a bit of a maze, and easy to get packed with people.
  • Our room had a couple of glitches. The master bathroom sink was completely stopped up with hair, and most of the AC in Hale 7 went out for half a day when the main compressor had to be serviced. They promptly fixed both things. The AC just had to be reset, but they waited for people to complain rather than proactively reaching out to those who might have been affected.
  • At the shops in Kukuiula, Ruth's Chris Steak House has opened. They have a happy hour menu. Very expensive compared to nearby happy hours.
  • At the Safeway in Lihue (near the Costco), they finally have Tejava iced tea! The only place I have seen it on Kauai was in Living Foods in the Kukuiula shops at $2.50 a bottle. At Safeway it was 3 bottles for $5. This stuff is the best iced tea anywhere.
  • There is supposed to be pretty heavy rains through the weekend, but Sun and Mon were very clear except middle of the night when it poured buckets. I forgot to take a picture of the poor staff member who had to clean the BBQ grills in the pouring rain at 5AM. The Koloa ATV mud bugs must be amazing this week.
  • Refillable mugs are now $38 and change. We have not purchased ours yet. I am wondering if these have sensors yet. Will find out soon.
  • And gasoline in Koloa and Lihue is indeed cheaper than in Thousand Oaks, CA. Aside from milk, this year all of our grocery prices were pretty much the same as our local CA stores.
Lovin it here

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they selling fireworks at the Costco on Kauai? Shooting off fireworks on the beach is not a good idea at all.
Yes, I received an ad when I went in last week to the Lihue Costco and fireworks were listed for sale starting the following day. It did note that these were not for sale on Oahu. I didn't note what was in the packages on ad - and I have since thrown it away.

Also gas was about 70 cents cheaper at Costco versus surrounding gas stations. Line was short when I filled up before the airport.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
We got a room change today at Waiohai. We always request 4th floor (because we are awakened every day by people above us sliding chairs on the balcony). We always seem to get 3rd floor... But they were able to move us to 4th - Hale 7 to Hale 2, facing the lawn. Very decent view of the ocean as well. The only problem with a move is that you have to be out by noon (assuming they let you do a late checkout) and you don't get the next room till 4. So we drove into town to see Jurassic World.

On the way back, we tried a new Mexican restaurant called Verde. It is located in the same shopping center as the Safeway on Kuhio (between the tree tunnel and Costco). Food is pretty good - a lot classier than Da Crack. I had two ahi fish tacos for $15 (rice & beans are $3 extra). The ahi was sliced very much as it would appear in a seared ahi appetizer. My wife ordered two crispy tacos with shredded pork and although they verbally acknowledged crispy corn shells for her, she got soft flour shells. Oh well. Happy hour is from 3-5 and is 10% off. We will probably stick with Tortilla Republic. This same shopping center has an Uncle's Shave Ice, which was packed.

My wife tried Ruth's Chris for their "happy hour". She got the petite filet and loved it. Happy hour at Ruth's Chris is not much less than full price, but comes with salad, side and dessert.

On another visit I went to Merriman's for my beloved fish tacos, and they seem to have once again changed their menu and preparation. They now come with sliced avocado again instead of avocado aioli, and the shells were thick warmed corn tortillas instead of the wafer thin lightly fried corn. This is no bueno, as the tortillas immediately got soggy and fell apart. But the flavor was there. I will try one more time, asking if they can prepare it the old way. Hoping for the best. Happy hour is still 3:30-5:00 and the prices are same as last year.

Don't know if I mentioned this, but the Kukuiula shops have the farmer's market every Wednesday now. Used to be just the first Wednesday of the month. Saw all the same vendors except the croissant/bread ladies were not there. Got us some wonderful sugarloaf pineapple.

The ocean swells are quite a bit larger than previous years, and the rip currents are very strong. The sandbar on Poipu Beach is still gone. My son loves to boogie board at Brennecke Beach, which is especially rough this year. We watch him like a hawk. It doesn't help to hear that the locals refer to that beach as "Break-a-knee Beach" because of the strong currents and all the rocks.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the way back, we tried a new Mexican restaurant called Verde. It is located in the same shopping center as the Safeway on Kuhio (between the tree tunnel and Costco). Food is pretty good - a lot classier than Da Crack. I had two ahi fish tacos for $15 (rice & beans are $3 extra). The ahi was sliced very much as it would appear in a seared ahi appetizer. My wife ordered two crispy tacos with shredded pork and although they verbally acknowledged crispy corn shells for her, she got soft flour shells. Oh well. Happy hour is from 3-5 and is 10% off. We will probably stick with Tortilla Republic. This same shopping center has an Uncle's Shave Ice, which was packed.
This is a new location for Verde (since Sep 2017 when I asked our server a few weeks ago.) But the menu is the same as their original location.

They've had the location in Kapaa for years. Good food and looks like they are expanding as a result. Also they sell their salsa through Costco.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Yesterday as we were pulling into the driveway for Waiohai from Poipu Rd, we saw them CHANGING THE SIGNAGE for Waiohai.
The signature turtle and stylized raised letters are gone. It no longer reads "Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club". Instead there is a pretty puny 2D sign reading "Marriott Vacation Club" and in very tiny letters below "Waiohai Beach Club".

Today we saw that the signage in front of the Koi pond had also been replaced. We have not checked out the signage at the beach.

I will ask the front desk what is going on, but the new signs do not look to be temporary (but boy, they are ugly compared to what was there).

There is a new GM on the premises. My understanding is it is second day on the job and he is making changes.

I'll post some pictures

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Here are the new signs and a couple of the old ones that have not been replaced yet

This is the new sign as seen from Poipu Road:
2rc37ud.jpg

This is the new sign in front of the checkin parking. I am standing directly in front of the sign aiming down a bit. If you are any farther back, the flowers completely obscure "Waiohai Beach Club".
bg7kue.jpg

And below is the old sign everyone knew and loved.
11ax1ja.jpg

This is the old signage that still exists along the driveway:
o73rzc.jpg

To me, the new signs look like they are for a MVC corporate office - not for a resort. I really hope the future is not the same drab sign at every resort.

Front desk tells me all logos on property will change. I guess the little black turtle stencil on the linens will go away also? Funny that the RFID wristband they just sold me has just the turtle logo on it.

Last edited:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
  • Watching the thousands of green parrots return to the Beach House
What?
Aloha,
As a former bird owner, we actually enjoy watching them return to their evening roosts (multiple locations). However, they are an invasive species and costly pest. We have lots of photos and videos.
Jack
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2011/11/21/hawaii-news/urban-dwellers/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2014/06/02/hawaii-news/noisy-flockers/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2016/07/19/opinion/the-rose-ringed-parakeet-on-kauai/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2017/06/02/hawaii-news/rose-ringed-solution/

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Aloha,
As a former bird owner, we actually enjoy watching them return to their evening roosts (multiple locations). However, they are an invasive species and costly pest. We have lots of photos and videos.
Jack
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2011/11/21/hawaii-news/urban-dwellers/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2014/06/02/hawaii-news/noisy-flockers/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2016/07/19/opinion/the-rose-ringed-parakeet-on-kauai/
http://www.thegardenisland.com/2017/06/02/hawaii-news/rose-ringed-solution/

I am always surprised to find new things that are seemingly native to Hawaii that are actually non-native.
That last article talks about a solution, but I don't see any mention of an actual plan, other then counting birds.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Jack - We have seen the parakeets - what confused me was the post calling them "parrots."

There actually is a flock of wild parrots in San Francisco.