• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Exchange Options

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We just received an OGS match in RCI for 2bdrm Maui Lea at Maui Hill over July 4 2019 (trading HGVC points).

Before we book this, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does Maui Lea have air conditioning?

2) What kind of view/room could we expect in an RCI exchange over July 4? What views have exchangers received in the past? Is this a good value for the 4800 HGVC points I am trading (approx value = $1056 for the week.)

3) Would we be better off waiting and holding out for something like Kaanapali Beach Club or other RCI Maui resort for Mid-June or early July 2019?

How does this resort compare to KBC?

or to Hilton/Westin TS quality to which we are accustomed?

4) What kind of furnishings are on the lanai? Does it have a table to eat?

5) Can you view any fireworks from Maui Lea? or close-by?

Since we cannot change our RCI booking once booked, I want to make sure we would be happy with Maui Lea after staying at our OF Westin Kaanapali North the prior week.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We just received an OGS match in RCI for 2bdrm Maui Lea at Maui Hill over July 4 2019 (trading HGVC points).

Yes

2) What kind of view/room could we expect in an RCI exchange over July 4? What views have exchangers received in the past? Is this a good value for the 4800 HGVC points I am trading (approx value = $1056 for the week.)
It will be luck of the draw.

3) Would we be better off waiting and holding out for something like Kaanapali Beach Club or other RCI Maui resort for Mid-June or early July 2019?
Depends on whether you are a "bird in the hand" type of person.

Can't really compare as we are owners at Maui Hill, love it, and haven't stayed at the others. Wait, I take that back. We have stayed at Hilton resorts on the Big Island. Maui Hill is older, but has been maintained beautifully. The grounds are large, with a pool, hot tub, tennis courts, putting green, shuffleboard, bar-be-ques.

There is a table with 4 chairs on the lanai. There are also two lounge chairs. We tend to eat all of the meals we eat in the unit out on the lanai. It runs the entire width of the condo, so is quite roomy.

We have never been there over 4th of July so I'm really not sure what there is in the way of fireworks. You may have to do some research. I did a quick check and saw there are several night time boat trips out of Maalea Harbor to watch fireworks.

Since we cannot change our RCI booking once booked, I want to make sure we would be happy with Maui Lea after staying at our OF Westin Kaanapali North the prior week.
As I said we own at Maui Hill and love it. Staying in Kihei will give you a whole other view of the island and access to Wailea, with it's resort hotels and gorgeous beaches. We have owned here since 1986. The same general manager (and probably a good portion of the staff) are still there. To us it feels like home. The units are large, except for the kitchens and the bathrooms. The kitchen is adequate, with a washer/dryer located next to it. They have pretty much everything you need though. By not using a lot of space for the kitchen and bathrooms it gives you more living space. It's just a very comfortable place to be.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I would say that Luanne's response is very accurate and even. We stayed there in 2009 via an HGVC search and used 3400 HGVC points in exchange for a 1 BR. We loved it. The only other time we have been in Maui we stayed at the Marriott Ocean Resort in Kaanapali via a gift and that was also very nice. We have never stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Club. Kihei neighborhood is a different type of area than the Kaanapali hotel strip area where the Marriott Ocean Resort is. I would venture to say Kihei is more like Kauai and Kaanapali Hotel strip is more like Waikiki. I don't believe there is a daily resort fee at Maui Lea. We have 2 weeks booked in April of 2019 at the Kaanapali Beach Club via an RCI points exchange after a search in which I would have accepted the KBC or the Maui Lea in Maui. However, I was kinda shocked that there was a $25/night resort fee there. That is pretty steep so it better be nice. Wailea is right down the road from the Maui Lea and that area is more like Kaanapali and is certainly worth a visit,

I think you will be pleased with Maui Lea, but it is different that Kaanapali.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is no resort fee at Maui Hill. Also, there is an onsite activities director who can book various actitivties at a discount.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you @Luanne and @Tamaradarann for your helpful responses. Maui Lea sounds like a nice trade

@Tamaradarann Do you recall the view from your room as an exchanger? Was the room on the bottom or higher floor?

@Luanne I would like to get a sense of what "luck of the draw" really means in terms of odds. Can you give me a ballpark of the number of units that have an ocean view e.g. 10% of the units? 30%? 75%? Do you know of any truly bad rooms? e.g. at Westin Kaanapali South there is an entire side of the building that faces the parking lot. There are some rooms at the Andaz Maui that face a brick wall. Is there anything equivalent and how prevalent? BTW...we have a Tuesday check in date. Would that change our odds?

Did not realize about the KBC $25/night resort fee which makes a KBC stay relatively more expensive. Do they also charge for parking at KBC? FWIW... These junk fees have detracted us from a "free night stay" with points at the Marriott Wailea $75/night plus taxes ($35/night fee + $40 /night parking fee ) added to a "free night" in a cramped garden view hotel room without a kitchen.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
By "luck of tne draw" I mean that since these are fixed week units and an owner has to give it up fo RCI for trade. I really can't give you any figures as to how many would have ocean views. You won't even know until about a week before you check in what your unit number will be.

Maui Hill is fixed week by date. That is why you have a Tuesday check in and will have nothing to do with whether or not you get a view. There is really only one section of rooms that I don't car for and those are the ones where the lanais directly face the driveway.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Maui Hill's best views are distant ocean. At worst it would be a resort view. There are a lot of non view units so you can't count on a view, but of course you never know.

Maui Hill is nice but it is more of a condo feel than a big resort. The units are older but well maintained. The property is just across the road from my favorite beach in all of Hawaii (Keawakapku). I personally like Kihei a lot but it's more of a beach town with a local vibe than a resort area like Ka'anapali. It really depends on what you are looking for in an accommodation. As nice as it is, it is not in the same category as HGVC, Marriott, Westin etc. I say this as a former owner who has stayed in all of the above.

That said, for the underlying cost of your exchange I think it is fair value.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thank you @Luanne and @Tamaradarann for your helpful responses. Maui Lea sounds like a nice trade

@Tamaradarann Do you recall the view from your room as an exchanger? Was the room on the bottom or higher floor?

@Luanne I would like to get a sense of what "luck of the draw" really means in terms of odds. Can you give me a ballpark of the number of units that have an ocean view e.g. 10% of the units? 30%? 75%? Do you know of any truly bad rooms? e.g. at Westin Kaanapali South there is an entire side of the building that faces the parking lot. There are some rooms at the Andaz Maui that face a brick wall. Is there anything equivalent and how prevalent? BTW...we have a Tuesday check in date. Would that change our odds?

Did not realize about the KBC $25/night resort fee which makes a KBC stay relatively more expensive. Do they also charge for parking at KBC? FWIW... These junk fees have detracted us from a "free night stay" with points at the Marriott Wailea $75/night plus taxes ($35/night fee + $40 /night parking fee ) added to a "free night" in a cramped garden view hotel room without a kitchen.

I would say that our view was nice but not the Ocean if that is what you are looking for. The unit was first floor. The Lanai was huge and very comfortable with a wooden view.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for that aerial view with the unit numbers. The numbers of the units I don't care for are 45 through 66.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks all for the incredibly helpful details on Maui Hill. We have just booked our July 4 week exchange and are excited to stay there. Reading the reviews it seems that we should call the resort a week in advance and request a unit on the lower hill instead of the upper hill because they have better views and have been recently renovated. However isn't the unit we exchange fixed? When was the last time the units were renovated?

Second, RCI has an upgrades feature for $49 if the upgrade is available. Are the 3 bedroom units in a more desirable location? or should we stick with the 2 bedroom unit we have?

RCI is also offering an upgrade to Kaanapali Beach Club if available. I know it is 4 star vs. 4.5 Maui Hill but I believe most of the rooms are Ocean View. Would you "upgrade" for this? Do exchangers at KBR get ocean view units or do they face the parking lot?

The RCI rep said that we could decline the upgrade if we don't want it, but I am reading otherwise. Which is the case?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks all for the incredibly helpful details on Maui Hill. We have just booked our July 4 week exchange and are excited to stay there. Reading the reviews it seems that we should call the resort a week in advance and request a unit on the lower hill instead of the upper hill because they have better views and have been recently renovated. However isn't the unit we exchange fixed? When was the last time the units were renovated?

Second, RCI has an upgrades feature for $49 if the upgrade is available. Are the 3 bedroom units in a more desirable location? or should we stick with the 2 bedroom unit we have?

RCI is also offering an upgrade to Kaanapali Beach Club if available. I know it is 4 star vs. 4.5 Maui Hill but I believe most of the rooms are Ocean View. Would you "upgrade" for this? Do exchangers at KBR get ocean view units or do they face the parking lot?

The RCI rep said that we could decline the upgrade if we don't want it, but I am reading otherwise. Which is the case?

Do you have to pay the $49 upgrade fee up front and then perhaps, if available, you can get an "upgrade" to the Kaanapali Beach Club or do you need to pay it only if you get and take the upgrade? I can't comment whether that is an upgrade or not since we have only stayed at the Maui Hill resort. However, please keep in mind that the Kaanapali Beach Club has a $25/DAY resort fee. Therefore, the "upgrade" will cost you $224 for the week.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is on-going refurbishment of all units.

Yes, there has to be a unit available for you to get it, but it seems they do have a "pool" of available units. It won't hurt to request a location.

I think the 3 bedrooms are more desirable, because they are larger, and you are assured of getting an upstairs unit (all 3 bedrooms are upstairs) so you will have a better view.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)