• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have HGVC, thinking of getting RCI points too

kevreh

Reaction score
It seems like a bit of a hassle to convert HGVC points to RCI. Also heard its not always best to go from HGVC > RCI. Is there a bennefit to just buying RCI? Granted, considering the quality level of Hilton we would probably only want Gold Crown RCI locations.

Anyone else do this, or is it better to just use the RCI exchange from the Hilton site?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO...I don't find RCI resorts to be the same quality as HGVC. If you are fine with 3.5 star quality, then buying RCI points would likely be more cost effective than buying HGVC if that is your goal. Trading RCI back into HGVC or Disney may not be as economical as it was in the past because of the rising exchange and resort fees.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It seems like a bit of a hassle to convert HGVC points to RCI.

I don't understand that statement. It's far from being any kind of "hassle." You just find a unit you want, confirm your stay, and poof, the points disappear... It's on a par with booking HGVC and darn near hotel-like booking. One of HGVC's better attributes.

kevreh

Reaction score
Ok, point taken. Guess the other thing I was wondering was if people coming from the HGVC site have the same access to RCI resorts as people with RCI points and using the RCI portal directly. One quick example, RCI lists a number of the Disney resorts that don't come up when doing a HGVC/RCI search. The only Disney resort that comes up is Saratoga. Is that because Disney isn't sharing them with RCI, or RCI isn't sharing with HGVC?

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney isn't depositing many resorts any more. Basically just Saratoga and the odd old key west.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
With any RCI account its best to use Ongoing Search (OGS) if you want the good stuff, online searches are leftovers.

There is a free studio timeshare being given away in Bargain Deals forum right now, low mf and trades with RCI or Interval. IMO it would be a great addition to someone with HGVC only. It would give you access to both of the exchange systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Now that Disney has started charging non-DVC owners for resort parking, I'm not sure I would book there anyway. I have enjoyed several other RCI exchanges booked thru HGVC -- California, NYC, South Florida, Cancun, Jamaica...

That said, it has been reported that HGVC uses a quality filter of sorts; thus, there are some TS's that show up for RCI members but not HGVC members, and a few omissions reported that ought not to be. So, for that reason alone, there may be some utility in having a separate RCI account.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Now that Disney has started charging non-DVC owners for resort parking, I'm not sure I would book there anyway. I have enjoyed several other RCI exchanges booked thru HGVC -- California, NYC, South Florida, Cancun, Jamaica...

That said, it has been reported that HGVC uses a quality filter of sorts; thus, there are some TS's that show up for RCI members but not HGVC members, and a few omissions reported that ought not to be. So, for that reason alone, there may be some utility in having a separate RCI account.
Are you sure Disney is charging exchangers for parking? I know Disney charges $190 for concierge services, which is not too bad for a one bedroom unit that sleeps four people and gets magic bands and transportation, but I don't see any information on my exchange that states I will be charged for parking.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With any RCI account its best to use Ongoing Search (OGS) if you want the good stuff, online searches are leftovers.

There is a free studio timeshare being given away in Bargain Deals forum right now, low mf and trades with RCI or Interval. IMO it would be a great addition to someone with HGVC only. It would give you access to both of the exchange systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately, I don't think you can add a week to an HGVC membership, so a new RCI membership with all of the fees that entails would be costly.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you want access to RCI cash getaways and last minute deals, you can call via the HGVC RCI call center (kind of a pain for search).

or you could pay $99 to join RCI to see these online and simply list your HGVC timeshare on the field that asks for the timeshare. Worth a try. I'll bet RCI will take your money. You can search without depositing I believe.

FWIW...Some bloggers have reported joining RCI and listing an RCI timeshare they don't own in the field to get access to cash reservations. Apparently, RCI doesn't check. I am not advocating this tho. You can list your HGVC because you are a card carrying timeshare owner.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Are you sure Disney is charging exchangers for parking? I know Disney charges $190 for concierge services, which is not too bad for a one bedroom unit that sleeps four people and gets magic bands and transportation, but I don't see any information on my exchange that states I will be charged for parking.

There was a whole thread on the subject and I didn't read it to the end.
Apparently, the bottom line is this:
"RCI inbound exchanges are NOT charged the parking fee, so it seems
as though you do not need to be DVC as well to get free parking."

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own RCI points too and at least to me it’s a great addition to my hgvc membership.

I rarely use my hgvc account to anything in RCI except for hgvc nyc and Disney. Since I just became an owner of West 57 I guess it’s onyl Disney which I will trade into now.

My RCI points account on the other hand is used for a variety of exchanges in Europe etc because it’s a better use and value to us.

Sometimes I also booked Disney with my RCI points as RCI sometimes have a sale so I got away paying approx 35.000 points for a week. That’s approx $200 in MF plus $199 in exchange fees and plus the resort fee of $190. Just shy of $600 for a week that’s a good deal to me.